WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day...my wife presents me with a box. Now I like boxes - but given my curious nature I my first thought was...I wonder what is in here.
ClosedBox.jpg
Thoughtfully - there was an almost illegible clue on the top. A name I like very much...A name I associate with high-quality.
BoxTop.jpg
Now I am quite excited to open the box and find this within...
IntheBox.jpg
Ta-Da...Inside is a lovely 12s Illinois in a Green Gold (filled) case. The dial is the first thing to catch me. I personally like metal dials - I like the way they age. I think this one has aged quite gracefully into an appealing state. The case is also in very good condition. The crown and bow are in fine shape.
Oview in Hand.jpg
But back to my curious nature...I cannot help but to wonder - who made the case? What movement is inside? With Illinois you know ahead of time it will be quality. Opening the hinged back gives me the first sign of poor handling in this watches past with the edge of the curvee a little chewed up.
Back Cover and Curvee.jpg
Carefully opening the curvee (which is really tight) - show the case maker and quality. A gold-filled Wadsworth case.
InsideCurvee.jpg
And finally - the movement. I was delighted to find the 21j version of the A. Lincoln caliber. The serial number dates the movement to c. 1921 which ties in nicely with the patent date on the case. This movement is very nice quality with 7 adjustments - 5 to position, temperature and isochronism. There are a few signs of poor handling on the movement - chewed on jewel settings and mis-matched jewel screws. But all-in-all I couldn't be happier.
Movement1.jpg
The timing machine says: nearly 300 degrees of amplitude in laying positions, and in the 270s in hanging positions. Rate within a couple seconds per day in all positions. Just beautiful. Given the unknown service history - I will of course service it before using it much.

Thanks for reading through my story...

·
Registered
512 Posts
Very nice! I don't know anything about Illinois pocket watches, but this looks to be a lovely specimen. Thanks for sharing, and enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Terrific!
Congratulations.

Your wife has excellent taste and I’m sure you deserve the watch. Congratulations again :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
What a great gift from your wife. Must have been quite something for her to hunt something like this down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
492 Posts
W*O*W! I love pocket watches and that one is magnificent in every way! You are lucky, good sir, with the real treasure being that kind spouse of yours! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts