WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, all dive watches have to be worn tight to the wrist because of the big crown so they are comfortable.

Second, the dial and minute markers are designed so you don't have to turn your wrist to look at the time.

My guess is because you are using your hands underwater to do stuff.

Also, I don't know how many dive watches have dots for hour and second hand markers, but the Timex T29781 is suppose to be a "Rolex Submariner Homage".

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
First off, all dive watches have to be worn tight to the wrist because of the big crown so they are comfortable.
I disagree but I guess it depends on how tight. If a dive watch is two tight it can't slide back when you bend your wrist and makes your clasp feel too binding.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here's the text of ISO 6425/1996 MINIMUM standards for dive watches

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=170805

6- REQUIREMENTS

6.1 Time-preselecting device

The watch shall be equipped with a time-preselecting device, for example a rotating bezel or a digital display. Such a device shall be protected against inadvertent rotation or wrong manipulation. If it is a rotating bezel, it shall have a minute scale going up to 60 min. The markings indicating every 5 min shall be clearly indicated. The markings on the dial, if existing, shall be coordinated with those of the preselecting device and shall be clearly visible. If the preselecting device is a digital display, it shall be clearly visible.

6.2 Visibility

The following items of the watch shall be legible at a distance of 25 cm in the dark:

a) time (the minute hand shall be clearly distinguishable from the hour hand);

b) set time of the time-preselecting device;

c) indication that the watch is running;

d) in the case of battery-powered watches, a battery end-of-life indication.

edit: you are correct in almost all of your assumptions: the watch face is large and usually clean to aid in legibility, and when your watch is telling you how much air is left, legibility is damn sure important!

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know the Timex T29781 isn't a real dive watch with 50M water resistant.

But, it has some of the features of a dive watch though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts