WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gw-6900-1 and module 3179, the specs say it has something called afterglow. I can't find it in the manual, what is it and what does it do.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
What specs are calling it "afterglow?" I don't think that's an official Casio term, but Google is finding the phrase in places like Amazon shopping descriptions.

It's just the time the light stays on after you press the button.
On this model and many others, the wearer can select the duration of illumination, as well -- on the GW-6900, either 1.5 or 3 seconds! :)

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
I remember seeing this written on the Vito stats as well, it is an official term, it even had me wondering what it was...I thought maybe after the backlight goes off it still glows slightly or something..

afterglow.jpg

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I remember seeing this written on the Vito stats as well, it is an official term, it even had me wondering what it was...I thought maybe after the backlight goes off it still glows slightly or something..
You're right, it IS an official Casio term! :) I found it on this Louie Vito collab page as well: Casio Enhances Its Exclusive Line of G-SHOCK Watches in Twisted Metal

"Full auto-calendar, 12/24-hour format; button operation tone on/off; LED light (Super Illuminator) with afterglow; selectable illumination duration: 1.5 or 3.0 seconds"

The way that's written makes it sound like it's not the light itself.

Now I'm wondering too -- I know my DW-6600's glow VERY brightly for several seconds after using their very bright EL, my other G's do as well but very faintly.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
You're right, it IS an official Casio term! :) I found it on this Louie Vito collab page as well: Casio Enhances Its Exclusive Line of G-SHOCK Watches in Twisted Metal

"Full auto-calendar, 12/24-hour format; button operation tone on/off; LED light (Super Illuminator) with afterglow; selectable illumination duration: 1.5 or 3.0 seconds"

The way that's written makes it sound like it's not the light itself.

Now I'm wondering too -- I know my DW-6600's glow VERY brightly for several seconds after using their very bright EL, my other G's do as well but very faintly.
that's what I was thinking as well.. what Sedi wrote in the post above would come under the Selectable Illumination Duration thing.. the fact that they wrote afterglow as a different feature had me thinking its something else as well..

I can't find anything about it in the manual..

I have the watch strapped on now, and there is no afterglow as far as I can tell.. weird.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See where my confusion came from. I as well thought it was something that glowed after the light went out. Maybe it is just talking about how long the light stays on after you release the button instead of just going out after you release the button.

Thanks

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,568 Posts
The term "Afterglow" has led to more confusion in the past. It is indeed what Sedi says. Just the duration of the EL light, without having your finger pressed on the light button the whole time. If you are used to it, you won't like digital watches that only light up as long as you press the button. Some models also show a very faint fading glow after using the EL. It can only be observed in a very dark surrounding. This is not the afterglow. It's just some left over energy of the EL panel fading probably.

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Thanks, Sjors!

Casio should probably just call it "illumination duration" and stop confusing the customers. ;-)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The original 5000 (and shortly later, the 5600's) had an incandescent bulb that was only lit as long as the button was held down. Now the backlight latches digitally for a period; hence the term "afterglow."

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
The original 5000 (and shortly later, the 5600's) had an incandescent bulb that was only lit as long as the button was held down. Now the backlight latches digitally for a period; hence the term "afterglow."
when they first made the technological leap to EL, that probably made sense! :)

Now, though, if someone presses and holds the button down, the light comes on and then it goes out after the predetermined amount of time, even if the button is still being pressed! That's not really "after," but what are they going to call it? "Three Second Glow" or "Adjust-a-Glow" for models where users can pick the illumination duration?

I'd never even noticed the phrase in Casio's Technical Specs pages previously, but in an unscientific sample of ten models just now, the term was in every single one of them! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts