WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm thinking of getting a couple of different straps for my Core to replace the black leather one.

Has anyone fitted a thicker leather strap to theirs (say 5mm)? Did it fit ok in the lugs between the bar and the watch case? There isn't much gap between the current strap and the case as it is. If possible could anyone post pictures of theirs on a bigger leather strap to see what it would look like?

I was thinking about a heroic18 or perhaps this from strapculture.

Also if I wanted a strap to wear it over the sleeve of my snowboard jacket what strap is best? I could get the Core light black elastomer strap, or am I better off with something else?

Cheers!

Justin

G

·
A thicker strap (ca. 5mm) should fit on the Core. I haven't tried, but a rubber diver strap will probably work. Note that some of these diver straps come with a 'flat end' to fit on a watch with short lugs.

For a strap to wear over your jacket, I would recommend, not the elastomer strap but either: (i) an elastic strap (possibly a generic one), (ii) a velcro strap (look for the NASA style version of these, the original was made for the Omega Speedmaster and to go over a space suit :-!), or (iii) an extra long NATO/ZULU strap (plenty of sellers stock the extra long used for wearing over diving suits). The good news is any of these options are good value, so you won't go wrong.

-bergspringer

I'm thinking of getting a couple of different straps for my Core to replace the black leather one.

Has anyone fitted a thicker leather strap to theirs (say 5mm)? Did it fit ok in the lugs between the bar and the watch case? There isn't much gap between the current strap and the case as it is. If possible could anyone post pictures of theirs on a bigger leather strap to see what it would look like?

Also if I wanted a strap to wear it over the sleeve of my snowboard jacket what strap is best? I could get the Core light black elastomer strap, or am I better off with something else?

Cheers!

Justin

G

·
Hi,
I have mine on a 5mm thick non tapering black leather strap made up by ToshiStraps. The thickness doesn't cause any problems with fitting and I think it's essential to give it that quality watch feel. (Pics 1 2).

It does however seem a bit of a shame to put a watch like this on a strap that you can't wear swimming. I've seen a couple of leather straps that claim to be waterproofed (inc a Heroic I think). That's probably what I'll try next.
:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for the link to that strap infinitybeach :) Looks very nice and they're in the UK which is a bonus!

I also like the square end to the strap (most I've seen tend to be tapered)

Struggling to find elastic outerwear straps though. I must be googling the wrong things....

G

·
Thanks a lot for the link to that strap infinitybeach :) Looks very nice and they're in the UK which is a bonus!
I also like the square end to the strap
No probs. That Toshi strap is non tapering in that it's 5mm thick & 24mm wide down it's entire length but if you do go for that one, be sure to specify a square end in the order. I assumed it would be square (as it's pictured like that) but ended up with the more normal curved end. I'd also order it longer than the original Suunto strap - the very thick straps wear considerably shorter somehow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd also order it longer than the original Suunto strap - the very thick straps wear considerably shorter somehow.
Really? I like the length of the Suunto strap as I don't want a long tail. I was going to just order the same length in the Toshi.

What length did you go for, and is there any chance of a pic of the reverse of yours to show where the tail ends please?

G

·
What length did you go for, and is there any chance of a pic of the reverse of yours to show where the tail ends please?
I have ~17.5mm wrist & ordered a strap that was 125/70 long (I think 5mm longer than the original?) [photos of the tail: 1 2 3 ]
I find when it's hot, I wear the strap a notch looser than these pics, which leaves a very short length tucked under the keeper. The tail looks a bit short for such a chunky bit of leather.

Probably a very personal preference but I'd rather have a flat cut end that comes a bit further up round the wrist than in the pic 1. These type of measurements are very difficult to judge until you actually have the thing on you...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
infintybeach you're a legend! Looks like I'd want to add another 10-20mm or so.

It does look very thick with the 2 straps and the keeper. Do you find it uncomfortable typing or anything with that under your wrist? (I've never had a strap that thick)

G

·
I did think it'd be uncomfortable on the desk but it really isn't. I've only had this 2months, so I'm probably still in the honeymoon period but of my 6 watches, this is the one I never take off now.

Such a great combination of tech geekery and classic looks...
It's my grail watch homage to my utterly unaffordable grail watch.
;-)

G

·
Just a quick comment for some balance.

I know Rich (Toshi) and I have a number of his straps, but I personally wear them on much more expensive watches (eg. Breitling and Rolex). I think a Toshi at ca. 60 or 65 quid is a lot to spend on a strap for a watch that you can buy for about 160 quid, but its up to you. Don't get me wrong, they're great straps. Have a look at Panatime. They have a huge range of 24mm straps at good prices. Also, personally I think the Core looks strange on a high end strap and would suggest something more like a kevlar or carbon strap. I have my Core on rubber, kevlar and a modded NATO.

I hope that helps... :)

-bergspringer

G

·
...is a lot to spend on a strap for a watch that you can buy for about 160 quid

For balance, where can u get these for £160? The op has an Alu core. The cheapest I've ever seen these is ~£250. The AluAlu & Steel are considerbly more.

Granted these may not have the prestige associated with a Breitling or a Rolex but these are little jems of technology and design. For some people £300+ IS a lot of money and therefore a premium watch. Imho it deserves a thicker quality strap than that cheap bit of leather Suunto supply.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well my Alu was £260, so a nice strap to go with it seems reasonable. I agree about the plastic Cores, but this one is metal and so I think can carry a nice leather strap (after all it comes with leather).

I'll have a look at Panatime though thanks!

G

·
For balance, where can u get these for £160? The op has an Alu core. The cheapest I've ever seen these is ~£250. The AluAlu & Steel are considerbly more.
You can find these on eBay in the US for about £200, but have I have seen them auctioned (new) for less. I just bought a new Core in the US (although I'm not based there) and its the best place to buy a new one.

But the point is rather, for me, that this is a rugged watch (even the metal case versions) and looks better not dressed up. :) For example, I have a titanium Breitling with the original bracelet and rubber strap but I tend to wear it on a NATO most of the time because its a 'tool watch' (like the Core) and looks great on the NATO.

I'm not being critical... just proposing an alternative view... b-)

-bergspringer

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL :D I know you can get them cheaper in the US, but I wanted to get it from someone in the UK as I didn't want to get ripped off or end up paying import tax etc.

Plus I got £30 of reward points at the same store from making the order which made it even cheaper.

I'm not sure a nice leather strapped looks THAT dressed up - I think a bracelet is much more dressy ;)

G

·
Wait... don't listen to me. Toshi's are great rugged straps. :)
Well, yes, I think so. ;-)

this is a rugged watch (even the metal case versions) and looks better not dressed up.. just proposing an alternative view... b-)
Yeh, I think we're just going for different looks with our watches. I'm stuck in an office all week, so need a bit more of a classic 'watch' look.

Plus I got £30 of reward points at the same store from making the order which made it even cheaper.
Hmm.. was that from Facewest? Couldn't get my Alu-Positive there but got my wife's Lumi from them & the reward points were fantastic. Almost completely paid for her more subtle suunto-florette strap. (why she didn't like the original nuclear orange strap, I'll never understand)! ;-)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmm.. was that from Facewest? Couldn't get my Alu-Positive there but got my wife's Lumi from them & the reward points were fantastic. Almost completely paid for her more subtle suunto-florette strap. (why she didn't like the original nuclear orange strap, I'll never understand)! ;-)
Yes it was. Been very impressed with their service. I've submitted a review of the watch as well as that's another £3 reward if it's accepted ;-)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Currently trying to decide what stitching to go for on a Toshi strap. Part of me wants to go for a stealthy black stitching on black leather look, and another part fancies some grey stitching to give it a bit of detail. Decisions, decisions.....

G

·
Here's that Heroic I mentioned. Unfortunately not any cheaper but it is waterproof...
Link 1

These others are also waterproof & much more reasonably priced:
Links 2 3

Unfortunatley none have the feature I personally liked so much in the Toshi: (Non tapering, matt leather brushed buckle).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now that Heroic18 is nice, but would prefer a square end and a single keeper.

Still the Toshi for me :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts