WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I googled this and found some examples and retailers that sell these.

I know they are not official Rolex parts BUT was wondering if anyone tried these.

Almost all my other watches have the exhibition back and was wondering if this is something that would look good on a Rolex.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Since 2006 I have a sapphire back on my 14060M. It was produced by Preik here in Germany. Officially rated for 20bars.
Never had any issues. Last WR-test for 10bar was ok!

IMGP5814.JPG

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
There's no reason not to give it a go if you're interested; it's a simple, completely reversible procedure. It's not far removed in principle from changing a strap, in fact. The main difference is that it'll need pressure testing afterwards, which is literally a two-minute procedure with the right equipment.

Though it's not something I've yet bothered with, I wouldn't say 'no' to one for my Daytona. Looks good to me:

image credit: jmpille @ TRF

·
Registered
210 Posts
I know rolexes arent supposed to have them and they dont have the prettiest movements but I really like these, certainly looks much better than the red rotor ETA in my Oris which has a display back so I would say if you like it go for it, its not that expensive a mod and if you decide to sell the watch its a 2 minute job to put it back how it was

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I know rolexes arent supposed to have them and they dont have the prettiest movements but I really like these, certainly looks much better than the red rotor ETA in my Oris which has a display back so I would say if you like it go for it, its not that expensive a mod and if you decide to sell the watch its a 2 minute job to put it back how it was
That "they're not pretty" myth seems to be a very persistent, indeed, but I see little basis for it in reality. Sure, there are a few hack-job articles out there from self-appointed 'watchmakers', but every credible watchmaker I've met or read has nothing but respect for Rolex's movements, and they don't consider them to poorly-finished. Here are a few that have have put this into writing:

My First Experience of a Rolex Movement- 3035 Full Service - Raul Horology
Repair + Service: Rolex Oyster Submariner 16610 calibre 3135 | Watch Guy
Tick Talk » The next generation of Rolex Calibers (J. Edwards' comment at the end is quality.)

Personally, I find they're among the best-looking movements available in a sports watch:

image credit: rolex.com

That does it, I'm ordering a display back. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts