WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my first post on WUS.

I was fortunate to be gifted a OVM for a significant birthday. Love the watch and the only I would change is getting a higher dome. I think I have the Mk2 (lighter gray dial + red lettering) and it has the bevelled edge with a low dome.

I've looked at some other posts here that said Steinhart doesn't sell individual parts...Gnomon will only do a crystal swap at point of sale...the high dome Hesalite might not even fit the Mk2 bezel...that's as far as I got research wise.

This leads me to ask the Steinhart Gurus here -- are there any recommended aftermarket suppliers of high dome crystals for the OVM?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Otto Frei or Esslinger...BUT you really have to know how to measure...They will give you help if you ask and tell you how to measure the crystal.. If the crystal is on the watch it is obviously more difficult but I guess if you measure wrong, it can be returned..I Think...
They have so much stuff it's hard to know which is correct unless you are a watchmaker or repair person. They would know what's right or wrong. I'm trying to get a domed crystal for my Ocean 1 GMT .I think the crystals are inexpensive for most but putting them on ..knowing it's the right fit, the gasket etc? That's the part that costs money. Trained technical Labor . There are plenty of guys that could do it in about 10 minutes too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips!

In general when ordering a crystal, would the supplier also be able to supply the matching gasket? If not, I'll have to re-use the existing one (hoping that it doesn't get damaged when the original crystal is removed) and/or write to Steinhart on bended knee for a spare gasket.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts