WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Could anyone tell me the rough age of my Omega Seamaster please? It was my fathers and I am guessing 60's or 70's.

Sorry about the pic quality, they were taken from my phone!

Many thanks
Ben

2.jpg 1.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Amazingly my mum managed to find the original receipt. It was bought by my dad in 1961 for the grand sum of £52! It says on the receipt that it is a de ville model, but I thought if it was it would say so on the face?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Amazingly my mum managed to find the original receipt. It was bought by my dad in 1961 for the grand sum of £52! It says on the receipt that it is a de ville model, but I thought if it was it would say so on the face?

That has happened to me with 2 seikos more recently, they might have not had the seamaster listed and they chose the nearest model to the price tag and just charged your parents for it. Unless it has a re-dial its probobly correct :)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Doesn't look like a redial. I assume sellers just weren't careful on the receipt.

Fine looking specimen. Does look late 50 early 60ish.

Pop open the case back and with the reference number you can verify the model on the Omega database.

Enjoy it. Just yesterday I wore my 54 Seamaster and was complimented on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
747 Posts
That is a Nice heirloom! It will be what the receipt says it is. Not all De Ville watches had it written on the dial back then. It's gold capped so DO NOT try to polish it. You should get the movement serviced by a good watchmaker if you haven't already.

p4163E_zpsde9d8964.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys Rogi, peitron and Geronimo61.

I was too worried about damaging it to wear it before but I thought its meant to be worn and shouldn't be stuffed away in a drawer, so I wear it all the time now and love it!
I'm not too kean on the Hirsch strap on it so I'm looking for a replacement. I did order a "genuine" vintage gold buckle from ebay, but looking into it a bit more this is probably fake :roll:

I didn't know about not polishing it so thank you for that! Luckily I've not done anything to it apart from wear it. I'm on the lookout for somewhere to get it serviced now. Don't think I can afford Omegas prices but equally I dont want to get it done by anyone who doesn't know exactly what they are doing! Maybe I'll just have to save for it. It keeps perfect time and is always still going even after I get back from a night shift and have been out the house for 17 hours.

·
Registered
747 Posts
It should be serviced as soon as you can. You risk causing damage to the movement and costing more when you do go to get it repaired. A clean, service and adjustment should be around $200 provided you don't need any parts. Any good watchmaker can service it. Do not send it to an Omega AD. They will charge a huge fee on top of what the guy who actually does the work charges.

These watches had what many regard to be some of the best movements Omega ever made. Once serviced you will get years of use and your future grandchildren will be marveling at how well your fathers watch runs in another 50 years time

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Thanks for the replys Rogi, peitron and Geronimo61.

I was too worried about damaging it to wear it before but I thought its meant to be worn and shouldn't be stuffed away in a drawer, so I wear it all the time now and love it!
I'm not too kean on the Hirsch strap on it so I'm looking for a replacement. I did order a "genuine" vintage gold buckle from ebay, but looking into it a bit more this is probably fake :roll:

I didn't know about not polishing it so thank you for that! Luckily I've not done anything to it apart from wear it. I'm on the lookout for somewhere to get it serviced now. Don't think I can afford Omegas prices but equally I dont want to get it done by anyone who doesn't know exactly what they are doing! Maybe I'll just have to save for it. It keeps perfect time and is always still going even after I get back from a night shift and have been out the house for 17 hours.

Just be careful where you go to service it, there are so many bad repair guys that look amazing when you get into the store, but after the repair you figure out what a horrible job they did, Make sure to double check their reputation online if they have reviews of their service before commiting the watch to a servicing.

Archer here on the forum is an excellent guy :) you should give him a ring, he'll proboblly chime in on this post :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just be careful where you go to service it, there are so many bad repair guys that look amazing when you get into the store, but after the repair you figure out what a horrible job they did, Make sure to double check their reputation online if they have reviews of their service before commiting the watch to a servicing.

Archer here on the forum is an excellent guy :) you should give him a ring, he'll proboblly chime in on this post :)
Thank you :) I'll do a search for him

1 - 10 of 10 Posts