WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
OP: Can I ask what you didn't like about either the Damaskos or Tudors enough to keep them in your collection?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
OP: Can I ask what you didn't like about either the Damaskos or Tudors enough to keep them in your collection?
I really liked all three of these watches. However, my desire to downsize won out. My rule was that if I ever considered selling it, it was gone. The three that remain, I have never once considered selling.
with that said… I will give some pithy reasons: The Pelagos lost some lume from the bezel, and I realized that there is really no such thing as a “modern mechanical dive watch”- the whole idea is anachronistic marketing, the Tudor GMT is kinda a wannabe Rolex (sorry), and the Damasko started getting little rust spots on it after we moved to the north shore. I do miss the Damasko though and have considered buying a Damest coated one. I know these are beloved watches in the community, so I hope I didn’t offend anyone cause they still are truly great watches, despite the little flaws I perceive.

·
Premium Member
5,311 Posts
I recently sold the Pelagos, and got the GMT. Then I sold the GMT. For some reason the Tudors aren’t sticking. So I took the proceeds and bought a few altcoins. If we get a good Q4 I’m hoping to get a Polar Explorer 2. That’s the plan anyway for now.
Polar Explorer II, there's a crackin idea!

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
18,179 Posts
Good on you. I have no idea. Trying to figure out downsizing myself

·
Premium Member
5,311 Posts
Good on you. I have no idea. Trying to figure out downsizing myself
I am at a point where I feel I simply can't downsize. Not parting with the Omegas or Rolex, and three of the other four were gifts from my wife. That would leave the Hamilton Khaki as the only one that COULD go, but its the watch I go to for when banging around is likely (i.e. hiking, garage work, really anything where the likelihood of banging up my watch could happen).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I'd have kept the three you have kept. The most iconic and versatile IMHO.
Rest were depensible in my eyes.
Now there’s a comment I like 😉. I must say I wholeheartedly agree with you. I’ve had a lot of realizations about watches over the years, and my whole criteria of a “great watch” has shifted significantly since the early days. I wonder what further realizations I will have in the future. 🤔

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Looks like you narrowed it down pretty well to the purest expressions of a G, a Seiko diver, and the best Chrono. I might have kept a fourth for dressy occasions, maybe the Intramatic, SARB, or GS.

·
Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, IWC Pilot Spitfire, Sinn EZM 10
5,597 Posts
I knew it.
Read ALL the responses, and I am the only one.
I would have kept…?
The black Porsche Design chronograph!

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
You did well, @thesupermanning! I would have done the same, except also kept the white dial Nomos. That would give you three, because who counts beaters anyway? 😉

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
I knew it.
Read ALL the responses, and I am the only one.
I would have kept…?
The black Porsche Design chronograph!
Yeah… I do regret letting this one go. It was in perfect condition. I made a couple grand profit when I sold it, but it’s one that will keep going up and up over the years. Ultimately I let it go because I was scared to wear it, knowing the movement was hard to get serviced and replacement components would be difficult to source if I messed up the case, pushers, or bracelet. It’s a classic if I was a real “collector” I would keep it on the shelf and take it out every once in a while to feel like Maverick.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Tudor Pepsi, Speedy and Doxa.

My Casio GW5000 started a downsizing and I recently bought another GW5000 as back-up. I wear one as a beater and the other I keep pristine. I'm done worrying about scratches or dings and I'm not collecting anymore watches I don't or won't wear. It seems I can handle about 7 watches with 2 of them digital.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Hammy Intramatic
Tudor Pelagos
Sinn Diver
+/- on the GS

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Good job slimming down the collection. I would’ve kept something dressy though.
I’ve thought about that many times, but I always prefer to wear my speedy in those rare situations. So personally, I think I should forego the dedicated dress watch category for now. I do want a Reverso someday… maybe I will become more classy as I grow older. 😂

21 - 40 of 100 Posts