WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would have kept Sinn u50, Nomos (white one at bottom), and Speedmaster.

Sinn u50 is the type of watch I like and possibly own. Nomos and Speedmaster are not something I would have purchased. But if I owned those, I would like to keep them, instead of Seiko or Casio.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I love all three you kept. Of the ones you got rid of, I suppose I like the Nomos Clubs the most? Is that Willard a build? I notice there’s no X. It looks great!
The Willard is the SLA033 the 8L movement. It’s my favorite watch by a long-shot and has a lot of sentimental value. I’m a big fan of Eddie Aikau, North Shore surf legend, who wore the Willard (or as I prefer to call the watch, the “Eddie”). I bought this watch after we moved to Hawaii and surfing has pretty much taken over my life now. Much to the chagrin of my wife. 😂

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
What realizations have you had? I understand to each his own, but you’ve tried a lot, many I haven’t personally tried yet, but have wondered about. So I can’t help but ask.
I’m glad you asked. Here are a few tenets I go by now:
  • Ten years ago I was really into the idea of “more is better”… now I’m more of a minimalist in practically every regard in life. This naturally affected my watch game. Hence the reason for downsizing
  • I’m only into watches that I feel were a passion project of the designer/s.
  • The watch has to have a strong “point of view” that guides its design. No vanilla.
  • Function must drive form.
  • The movement needs to be interesting and horologically special, in a way
  • The watch must fit into my life. It needs to look like I’m wearing the watch, rather than the watch is wearing me
  • The watch needs to look better with scratches I will inevitability put on it
  • If I ever seriously think about selling the watch, it’s not a keeper
  • If I don’t wear it weekly, it’s not a keeper
  • Number ONE: The watch has to be aesthetically attractive to me. Lol

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I would have kept the tudor gmt over the seiko. I understand your post about tudor gmt being a poorman's gmt, but the proportion and colors are well excuted enough for me to consider it as a unique timepiece. For bigger wrists, think it also wears better than the 5 digit gmt pepsi as well!
The Tudor GMT is one amazing watch. Super impressive specs and build. The size was great. Ultimately, after multiple people under various situations said “nice Rolex” I realized that it just wasn’t going to work for me. I never get comments on my watches…. But this one was somehow getting an uncomfortable amount of attention. I love the way it looked on my wrist, but I wanted the watch to stand on its own.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
One dress, one sport, one tool.
Maybe the nomos, that is the only thing that is kind of a dress or buy a real dress watch, you'll have plenty of money.
A Rolex. Kind of generic, but it won't lose value - in the fingernail I thought the Tudor was a Rolex (i guess that's the point) so I'd keep the Pelagos which is a Rolex adjacent but with actual personality
Any of the others since almost all are tool watches
The Blue Pelagos certainly stands on its own apart from Rolex. It felt incredible to wear. I could tell that the designers were meticulous and passionate to execute their vision down to every last detail. Gone but not forgotten :)

·
Registered
36,621 Posts
Keep what you like best obviously.

Personally I would have kept a bit of variety of colours in there.

·
Registered
Sinn 104 I MG / Longines VHP 36mm L3.316.4.76.6 / Casio B640W / Casio EFV 110-D
18 Posts
I would've kept the Grand Seiko, Tudor GMT and (maybe the Sinn).

·
Registered
12,818 Posts
I have owned a lot of watches over the last 10 years (by my standards anyway). This is where it stands after aggressive downsizing!

Out of curiosity, which 3 would you have kept? (Given my entire back catalog)

current: GW5000, SLA033, Speedy Pro.
past: see photo of a few I used to own. Too many for me to list right now.

View attachment 16173292 View attachment 16173296
Pelagos, Speedy, GS

·
Registered
699 Posts
You seem to have had a colourful past but left it behind, watch-wise.:)

From your past and present I'd go for silver dialled dress watch, Damasko dsub?, GS. Which would also be fairly monochrome apart from a few yellow highlights.

·
Registered
8,697 Posts
I think what you kept is pretty good. Maybe I would've kept the NOMOS. Other than that, none of the others interest me. Granted the diver doesn't interest me, but it's not that bad.

Reactions: thesupermanning

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
You seem to have had a colourful past but left it behind, watch-wise.:)

From your past and present I'd go for silver dialled dress watch, Damasko dsub?, GS. Which would also be fairly monochrome apart from a few yellow highlights.
My past has most certainly been colorful 😉. I didn’t mean for it to go monochromatic… it’s just happened that way. The good thing is, there are bound to be more watches, and I still love color. The ones I’m considering for a 4th slot are
  1. Older Rolex explorer ii
  2. Nomos Metro gangreserve
  3. JLC Reverso, silver dial
  4. Sinn u50 SDR
  5. Grand Seiko Mt. Iwate

61 - 80 of 100 Posts