WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
My past has most certainly been colorful 😉. I didn’t mean for it to go monochromatic… it’s just happened that way. The good thing is, there are bound to be more watches, and I still love color. The ones I’m considering for a 4th slot are
  1. Older Rolex explorer ii
  2. Nomos Metro gangreserve
  3. JLC Reverso, silver dial
  4. Sinn u50 SDR
  5. Grand Seiko Mt. Iwate
Have fun choosing (y)

Since you're changing the rules, I'd swap the original GS for #5 and add a G-Shock to make up the 4.

·
Registered
15,648 Posts
Nomos Club black dial
44GS
Tudor BB GMT

·
Registered
259 Posts
My three would have been the Pelgaos, Speedmaster and the white Nomos Club.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
531 Posts
I’m glad you asked. Here are a few tenets I go by now:
  • Ten years ago I was really into the idea of “more is better”… now I’m more of a minimalist in practically every regard in life. This naturally affected my watch game. Hence the reason for downsizing
  • I’m only into watches that I feel were a passion project of the designer/s.
  • The watch has to have a strong “point of view” that guides its design. No vanilla.
  • Function must drive form.
  • The movement needs to be interesting and horologically special, in a way
  • The watch must fit into my life. It needs to look like I’m wearing the watch, rather than the watch is wearing me
  • The watch needs to look better with scratches I will inevitability put on it
  • If I ever seriously think about selling the watch, it’s not a keeper
  • If I don’t wear it weekly, it’s not a keeper
  • Number ONE: The watch has to be aesthetically attractive to me. Lol
I pretty much follow these same guidelines but rather then focussing just on the movement, I take into account the watch for its horological significance. So your three nail it. However, I would have kept the Silver Lung as a 3rd mechanical!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I would have switched the Seiko you have now with the Sinn U1, my U50 made me rid the Seiko SKXs I had. Since I am not a Chrono fan, would probably have kept the BB Blue instead of Speedy.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Speedy and the Pelagos are the only two that would have made the cut for me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would have kept the Hamilton intra-matic for dressy occasions. The speedy + a diver was a good call. I prefer Garmin's over casios for my digital watches.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Dang that's hard. My favorites:
Pelagos
Speedy
Sinn U1
Willard

Tough to argue with what you kept. Depends on the need for the G-Shock. I mean the Sinn or Pelagos would probably make for a good daily wearer, but definitely I would not be comfortable wearing one of those in all the situations you could wear a G-shock.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice choices. :cool:

I would have kept them all but then sold the Speedmaster for something a bit dressier and less expensive. (I live in a big city and I'd just worry about theft, robbery, damage etc. of expensive watches, especially those universal popular brands recognized worldwide by Thieves Inc.) ;)

·
Registered
14,709 Posts
Great thread idea. I think this would be a fun trend to continue.

I would have kept the Speedmaster, the Pelagos and possibly the white Nomos Club.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Great thread idea. I think this would be a fun trend to continue.

I would have kept the Speedmaster, the Pelagos and possibly the white Nomos Club.
Thanks. I would definitely be interested in seeing other folks back catalog of watches and picking 3 as my theoretical collection, given the constraint. I’ve had fun reading everyone’s comments. It’s made me second guess my choices a little, and think about alternate realities… but mostly it’s just been fun :)

81 - 100 of 100 Posts