1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,428 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, is there a way of determining if the strap is original, or just old ?

Thanks Graham

Hi and welcome
Nice Borgel watch, invented by Francois Borgel 1891. Your piece probably 1916/17

AGR​ stands for Arthur George Rendell who was an importer of Swiss watches in London

For a lovely hand made, correct strap look here:
My Designs of Watch Straps and Watch Bands for Great War Era Wrist Watches

Or Ebay 'vintage watch straps.

Nice watch. Enjoy

Adam

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Surely not original, and not typically nice. Your watch is 100 years old. That strap maybe 20 years? Who knows
You should purchase something nicer, in my opinion
Adam

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Hi there...

Have you got any other photos of the watch? Movement pics and case markings would be interesting to see!

It is interesting that the bezel is not grooved, which helps with unscrewing the case. I have owned one similar!

I would also recommend the Straps sold by David... I own 1 or 2 myself. He also has many other pages dedicated to the Borgel company, which are worth a read

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Hi there...

Have you got any other photos of the watch? Movement pics and case markings would be interesting to see!
But if not, do not try to open it in anyway yourself.
Not for anyone
a

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Your piece probably 1916/17
Hi Adam,

Sorry if I am missing something, as I am viewing from my phone... But how did you round the age down to 1916/17 (which it may well be)?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a couple of pics of the case markings and workings, tho don't really want to keep unscrewing it as it fits nice and don't want to wear it out.

case.jpg

workings.jpg

Says 15 Jewels and Im not sure why the bezel is not grooved.

Case says AGR and FB, has the 325 silver mark, serial number and I presume a date stamp.

Not sure what the other markings are i.e 30 3 and the U inside the circle.

Cheers Graham

Hi there...

It is interesting that the bezel is not grooved, which helps with unscrewing the case. I have owned one similar!

I would also recommend the Straps sold by David... I own 1 or 2 myself. He also has many other pages dedicated to the Borgel company, which are worth a read

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
You have yourself there a very nice Electa-Gallet movement!

Date letter appears to be 'b' for 1917/18... So Adams Guess was pretty good!!

Reactions: radger

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Oh... And it's .925 which refers to the silver purity and the 'u' is the import mark for London

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Thanks, is Elects Gallet good then?

Any idea why there aren't any grooves ?
For the period, the Electa-Gallet is above average... Which you would expect in a Borgel cased watch... I have seen 3 variations of the movement in Borgel cases... This being the simplest, as it also comes in a 17 jewel version and centre second version also.

You can see from this thread, I own a few...

https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/sotbc-family-shot-872440.html

You can click on the individual links within that thread for more info... There are a few Electa-Gallets and AGR sponsored cases to pick from... As I say above, David's site (with the straps) has lots of info you will find interesting and relevant to your watch

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very nice collection and to think I'm chuffed with one....
Are they all for display purposes or do you use them ?

Sounds a bit of a simple question but are they daily wind ?

For the period, the Electa-Gallet is above average... Which you would expect in a Borgel cased watch... I have seen 3 variations of the movement in Borgel cases... This being the simplest, as it also comes in a 17 jewel version and centre second version also.

You can see from this thread, I own a few...

https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/sotbc-family-shot-872440.html

You can click on the individual links within that thread for more info... There are a few Electa-Gallets and AGR sponsored cases to pick from... As I say above, David's site (with the straps) has lots of info you will find interesting and relevant to your watch

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Very nice collection and to think I'm chuffed with one....
Are they all for display purposes or do you use them ?

Sounds a bit of a simple question but are they daily wind ?
One is normally enough for most people!

All of my watches are wearing.... It would be a sad day (IMO) if they were just sat in a display cabinet. That said, a number are not in a state to be worn .... Yet!

Currently sat on a train on my way to work

They are all manual wind... The runners have good power reserves of 40+ hours... So to answer your question, if I were to wear one on consecutive days, I would wind the watch when putting it on each day!

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Hi Adam,

Sorry if I am missing something, as I am viewing from my phone... But how did you round the age down to 1916/17 (which it may well be)?
Educated guess.
Based on AGR and not so many Borgels prior to 1915, so 1916/17
and since 'b' is 1917, I was spot on.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Educated guess.
Based on AGR and not so many Borgels prior to 1915, so 1916/17
and since 'b' is 1917, I was spot on.
A guess...

As with all date letters, they span 2 years... So it could also date to 1918... If are striving for accuracy!

Can you elaborate on 'based on AGR'? Again, am I missing something?

My question was a serious one... I was looking on my phone, I wanted to make sure I was not missing some info!

I see many things have changed on WUS... Some have not

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Any idea why my variant hasn't got any grooves ?
Graham
Do not be concerned to that, the Borgel family and its business tried many variants (patents) to improve or make easier the manufacture of watches.

I have with both the grooved bezel and without, remember it was not for the owner to be opening (unscrewing) the movement.

You have a very nice 1917 Gallet/Electa Francois Borgel watch.
Wear and enjoy

Regards
adam

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Graham:
Simply beautiful piece.
A real "keeper" as we call it in the Colonies.
Being an X locomotive engr stationed at RAF Sta Brize Norton I used to luv to ride UK passenger trains.
Fave ride was the "Bampton Bullet". Eating Bangers and Bitters

X traindriver Art

X traindriver Art

1 - 20 of 24 Posts