WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinions on the air king? I am thinking of purchasing one but the website is a little confusing. Is there only one model or can you get different models? What is the largest MM size it comes in? For the money would you recommend any other watch?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The AirKing is a 34mm watch and always has been. In the 1950s there was one model which was 35mm but it wasn't around long. It shared a case with the Explorer 2.

The modern AK came in 3 references until last year. The 114200 smooth bezel, which is still with us; the 114210 with an engine turned bezel, and the 114234 which had a fluted white gold bezel. The 114234 and 114210 were discontinued in 2012 and 2011 respectively. The 114210 isn't seen in dealers anymore but the 114234 still appears once in a while. It had a higher price tag.

Rolex has kept the 114200 as the one true AK. At its launch in 2007 it came with a dozen or so dial choices to suit everyone's tastes but some were a bit whacky and have been discontinued over the years. The AK has always been a conservative "don't look at me, nothing to see here" sort of under the radar Rolex. The dial choices in 2012 and 2013 dwindled down to 5 choices or so including the white dial with black 369 indicies, a stunning dial.

The Ak is my favorite Rolex. Can't go wrong.

I wrote this article for Rolex Magazine and you can see it here: Welcome To RolexMagazine.com...Home Of Jake's Rolex World Magazine..Optimized for iPad and iPhone: The Complete History Of The Rolex Air King It covers the full history of the Air King and gives about every detail you'll ever want on its history.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I agree, the '600 is a fine choice too. The black and white concentric dial is awesome

·
Registered
48 Posts
Air King is brilliant. I bought mine just last week. I was a bit concerned about the size when I first tried it on in the shop; but after a while I realised that was just down to the fact that I've been wearing 40-42mm pieces for a few years. I've had it on each day in the last week and have now got used to its size. I have to say - it's a fantastic watch.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I purchased my Airking new 17 years ago and never missed a beat. I like it also because there is know date window. Perfect size and my favorite watch.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I love my Airking, I would never sell it, I have an Explorer ii and a Sub as well, and I wear my Airking as often as any other watch if not more so. It is absolutely the best most comfortable, nicest looking daily wearer I own. I have the blue dial which I also think happens to be the best looking dial on any Rolex. I wrote all about it here too if you are interested:
Rolex Oyster Perpetual Air King | How to be Swell

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I really enjoyed that blog post Swell. I saw it when you originally posted it. Great stuff.

·
Registered
41 Posts
To me this is only one AK, the Sir King 14000 which I have proudly owned since 1998, and which has served me impeccably.

On top of the simple yet elegant look of the dial which was not as cluttered, or busy, as the later day models, I like the Air King because it carries a well-remembered heritage honoring RAF Pilots at WWII.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
175 Posts
As others have posted there have been some great looking Air Kings. Personally, I looked at the 2016 Air King but would much rather go for the new explorer 1. I am not a fan of the 3,6,9 numerals mixed with the minute markers. The combination seems odd to me.

·
Registered
428 Posts
This^^ I think is the nicest looking version I've seen thus far! I'm getting past the no lume thing in general, I use it because it's there but I have my phone and most of the time if it's dark...I'm sleeping, LOL.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts