WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any Airman GMT that shows 12h time on the dial ? How about older models like Airman 8 GMT ?
What do the main hands show and what does the red hand show here ?
Thanx in advance.
louis

Attachments

·
Sinn Moderator
9,833 Posts
Is there any Airman GMT that shows 12h time on the dial ? How about older models like Airman 8 GMT ?
What do the main hands show and what does the red hand show here ?
Thanx in advance.
louis
Thanks for raising your questions, Louis. Like you, I have never figured out the Airman GMT. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hi,

What makes it even more confusing is that there are a lot of variations for each model... I would check two places;

GLYCINE WATCH, GLYCINE AIRMAN WATCH items in WILLIAM JOHNSON COMPANY store on eBay!These guys do a nice job explaining the hand movements on each watch (purist, GMT, etc.). Go to the airman link and select each watch and scroll down for the description.

On the Glycine website (::: Glycine Watch ::: Bienne 1914 ::: Swiss Made :::) they do a terrible job, but if you then click into the PDF instructions on how to set the watches, it becomes a little clearer.

One of my biggest complaints is that having a 24 hour watch with hands that move in 12 hour cycles is a bit odd. The red hand above goes around the dial once in 24 hours, but the white hands go around twice, I believe. Therefore you need to remember where the 10 o'clock normally is.

A "purist" version has hands that go around once in 24 hours.

I am expecting an Airman 17 in the mail in about 10 minutes... I will let you know how it feels to have the white hands go around 2x and the red to go around 1x. :)

R

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something? The main hour and minute hand are showing 20:08 (8:08 pm) and looks like the red GMT hand is showing roughly 9:10 am in whatever time zone the owner is tracking? The red hand is like looking at one of those Botta one-handed watches. Or, is this the one that has the hour and minute hands read as a normal watch, and only the red hand shows 24 hours, then the bezel is set to the other time zone?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems easy? The main hour and minute hand are showing 20:08 (8:08 pm) and looks like the red GMT hand is showing roughly 9:10 am in whatever time zone the owner is tracking? The red hand is like looking at one of those Botta one-handed watches.
Nope - I think that if this is a Base 22 GMT, the time on the white hands is 10:08 (could be AM or PM). You can't tell by just looking at this watch now.

The red hand COULD be set to show the 24 hour state of the white hour hand (this is how I have mine set - so in this case it would be at the 10 or at the 22 of the inner time ring) - OR you can set the red hand to any hour - in this case it is set to a bit after 9:00 am (0900).

The last time zone is the bezel. This could be set to anything, but in this case it is the same as the inner time ring, so it is also a bit after 0900. On my watch I have it set to Central European Time (EDT + 6) so at my 24 (inner ring) the outer bezel has the 6 at this time.

R

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Nope - I think that if this is a Base 22 GMT, the time on the white hands is 10:08 (could be AM or PM). You can't tell by just looking at this watch now.

The red hand COULD be set to show the 24 hour state of the white hour hand (this is how I have mine set - so in this case it would be at the 10 or at the 22 of the inner time ring) - OR you can set the red hand to any hour - in this case it is set to a bit after 9:00 am (0900).

The last time zone is the bezel. This could be set to anything, but in this case it is the same as the inner time ring, so it is also a bit after 0900. On my watch I have it set to Central European Time (EDT + 6) so at my 24 (inner ring) the outer bezel has the 6 at this time.

R
I agree that if you don't know the watch, you might not know whether it's 10:something or 22:something. But, if you're the owner and wearing the watch, you'd know exactly what it's saying. Or you should anyway!

·
3,631 Posts
Yeah, you guys got it. If you see an extra red hand, then you have to read the main hands in AM/PM mode (and the red hand is the 24 hour hand). If you don't see an extra red hand, then it's a purist and is read as a straight 24 hour watch.
The advantage of the 12/GMT is three timezones at once (if you need that), while the straight 24 hour purist has two timezones.
Personally, after years of reading purist 24 hour watches, there's no way I could get used to reading this dial with a 12 hour hand.

·
Registered
549 Posts
At first I thought that I wanted a purist model. I am not sure why they can't include the red hand for another time zone in the purist style, honestly.

However, I have to admit that the 12 hour white hands worked out ok; in the dark, I would be lost, not being used to the 24 hour dial... :)

The red hand is great, acts as an AM/PM indicator and also helps me with the bezel time zone, which I use several times per day since I work with people in Europe.

R

·
Registered
549 Posts
I almost went with the double 24, aai; I even got the Mac screen saver so that I would get used to it. But it really just looked too confusing, and I would probably not use all of those time zones. I like something like my Ball Diver Wordltimer (with the rotating city disk) when I need "global" visibility :)

But I must say that I had not seen the silver / black version that you have in your second link. I might have thought longer about it.

I did not see the purist airman with the additional GMT hand in my searches. I might have found one but the 12 was at the top and I prefer the 24 at the top.

Best,
R

1 - 11 of 11 Posts