WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from vacation and took the advice of many and wore my Seamaster through the metal detectors at both Logan and Orlando. No problems at all. My younger son set it off with a back brace he has to wear mostly made from plastic ( fractured his vertebrae playing football ) I could swear there is more metal in my watch than the brace. Down in Orlando they actually put him in a glass box and treated him as a terrorist. Anyway, wearing the watch through screening is the definitely safest way to go.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Thanks for the report! It's good to hear things went smoothly.
...Down in Orlando they actually put him in a glass box and treated him as a terrorist...
I wouldn't take it personally. I had metal arches in my shoes and was taken aside and given a personal exam (no, not that type of exam).

eric

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Went throught Vegas yesterday no beeping either, the lady with the trays wanted me to put my watch in with my belt and money etc I refused, no problem:-!

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
Went throught Vegas yesterday no beeping either, the lady with the trays wanted me to put my watch in with my belt and money etc I refused, no problem:-!
Brave soul. The TSA are pretty surly at LAX and don't take a "no" from anyone. Would have led to a strip search and rubber-gloved probe.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Working for TSA I get to see and comment on many great watches, but I always leave it up to the individuals judgement the first time they pass through the WTMD. If they alarm, then I suggest they divest any metal, including watches at times before coming through again.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I could swear there is more metal in my watch than the brace.

Yeah, sometimes the mag coils are strange about that. Remember, depending on the system, it's going react to the total mass of metal on the body (although some of the newer machines will measure the mass of metal in a specific "zone").

Additionally, non-magnetic metals don't set off a return on these machines so you Titanium wearers out there, take note.

I sure hope your son gets better soon and I hope his football activities are curtailed after this injury.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I get double searched every time I go to the airport. While I was in a quiet airport in Virginia one of the TSA people took the time to find out what was setting off their alarms. It turned out to be a necklace I wear of the US Marine Corps emblem. It seems the shape of the anchor is the cuplrit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So your saying my SMP chrono wouldn't set off the detectors? Is it because its stainless steel? Althought it would be interesting to see what the inner working look like on the screen.

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
Working for TSA I get to see and comment on many great watches, but I always leave it up to the individuals judgement the first time they pass through the WTMD. If they alarm, then I suggest they divest any metal, including watches at times before coming through again.
I appreciate that there are careful, but sensible people, such as yourself working TSA. Just wish more them worked LAX, though it could be management.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I get double searched every time I go to the airport. While I was in a quiet airport in Virginia one of the TSA people took the time to find out what was setting off their alarms. It turned out to be a necklace I wear of the US Marine Corps emblem. It seems the shape of the anchor is the cuplrit.
After the first sentance, I had a picture of someone in a beard wearing turban in my mind....

:-d

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Re: Can we have our teacher back

Once a superintendent of schools was visiting a three-room school. One room was very noisy, so the man grabbed a tall boy who had been standing up talking. He took the boy into another room and stood him in the corner. Five minutes later, a smalll boy came out of the first room and said, "When can we have our teacher back?"   Welcome to our website for you World of Warcraft Gold,Wow Gold,Cheap World of Warcraft Gold,buy cheap wow Power Leveling,real wow gold,sell wow gold, ... Supply Cheap WoW Gold to our loyal customers. Buy WoW Gold,cheap aoc gold, now, we have available stock of aoc power leveling,on most of the servers. We can provide really cheap World of warcraft Power Leveling. Enjoy a new life, We are a world class wow Power Leveling store online !

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
What's that title? "Airpoprt screenong result" ????

JK103; have you been drinking before posting? :-d

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Over the 4th of July, I wore my 2254.50 through security in Atlanta with no problem. On my return flight, it set off the metal detector at Akron/Canton and they insisted that I take it off and send it through the xray. My carry on was already through.

As it came through the xray, the rollers almost toppled the container and I just about had a heart attack. I was fortunate to catch the container just before it toppled or it would have flipped my brand new watch into the rollers.

From now on, mine will go in a padded travel case and into the carry on.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I just got back from vacation and took the advice of many and wore my Seamaster through the metal detectors at both Logan and Orlando. No problems at all. My younger son set it off with a back brace he has to wear mostly made from plastic ( fractured his vertebrae playing football ) I could swear there is more metal in my watch than the brace. Down in Orlando they actually put him in a glass box and treated him as a terrorist. Anyway, wearing the watch through screening is the definitely safest way to go.
I notice the metal detectors in USA are on the whole set more sensitive than the ones in Europe. I can wear my Omega no problem in EU where as it's touch & go at most US airports. I therefore carry an old flip open style watch box which I can quickly place it in & then throw it in my carryon & not worry about it ever getting knocked or scratched.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Been through a few airports recently

Rome - Went off

London - Nothing

Sydney - Nothing

Bangkok - Nothing

Singapore - Nothing

I think they change the sensitivity periodically as they have gone off in London many times before.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts