WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Pathfinder PAW1300, which includes altimeter, thermometer, and compass. A few years back there was discussion about getting extra scrutiny from the TSA when going through airport security with a watch like this.

Has anybody had any recent experience traveling with a watch like this?

I should add that two years ago I was wearing a chunky (okay, my wife calls it "blingy") Sector analog/digital, and an agent pulled me aside for extra screening, asking about the functions in the watch.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
I recently purchased a Pathfinder PAW1300, which includes altimeter, thermometer, and compass. A few years back there was discussion about getting extra scrutiny from the TSA when going through airport security with a watch like this.
why is that?

Has anybody had any recent experience traveling with a watch like this?
no, sorry

regards, holger

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I took a trip across country a week after I bought my 1500. The watch didn't even get a second look from anyone at any security checkpoint & no questions going through the X-ray machine. Extra scrutiny sounds like a red herring to me (went through Boston, New York JFK & Seattle - all major airports).

·
Registered
389 Posts
I recently bought a Protrek PRG-110 in Hong Kong and flew back to the US through Tokyo and Detroit. No problems. I did, however forget to remove it once and it did set off the metal detector. I put it on a tray and sent it through the machine and no one asked any questions.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
good to know !!!!
u know, the Pathfinder is great for travelling, especially in the airport looking for terminals using the compass.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I just went to Fiesta Texas(theme park) last week. The Riseman definitely was the reason for the alarm going off. That wand they use was going wild when it hit my wrist.

·
Banned
246 Posts
I carry a lot of electronics when I fly(which is all the damn time) I've never had problems. Really I've never had a watch set off an alarm. I've taken every thing though from my old Carrera,Sinn U1 and my PO on bracelet. I have no idea why they would care about a watch being on board.

I carry on, Watch, Blackberry,iPhone,Fiber Optic testing equipment,a hand full of chargers,Air Card,Laptop, and aTraccess AT&T box. Along w/ my Secure ID. They don't even blink. So I really think you're going to be safe w/ your watch.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
There were stories in the press a year or two ago about extra scrutiny involved with those who were wearing casio altimeter functioned watches. There was some concern that they could be used somehow as detonators to make a bomb go off when a certain altitude measurement came up on the watch.

However, I never heard of anyone having any real problems with these watches. Also, the watches won't measure true altitude in a plane, only the cabin pressure which probably tops out at around a reading of 5,000ft.

I've travelled many times with ABC watches and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
When I was working on oilrigs as a servicehand, I would fly (2+ times a month with several connections) with my pgr80t, i just took it off for the xray scan and had no problems, my sportura set the detectors off as its a heavy chunk of steel.
I think there is a lot of hyped up crap regarding airport security. I've been through thailand, singapore, vietnam, papua new guinea, australia and never had dramas.
I also travel with laptop, charger, pda phone, psp, sound dampening headset, chewing gum, bottled water, mp3 player, pens, calculator, notepad, camera and not a word is said. (bottled water is bought after the xray scan inside the departure lounge)

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
When I was working on oilrigs as a servicehand, I would fly (2+ times a month with several connections) with my pgr80t, i just took it off for the xray scan and had no problems, my sportura set the detectors off as its a heavy chunk of steel.
I think there is a lot of hyped up crap regarding airport security. I've been through thailand, singapore, vietnam, papua new guinea, australia and never had dramas.
I also travel with laptop, charger, pda phone, psp, sound dampening headset, chewing gum, bottled water, mp3 player, pens, calculator, notepad, camera and not a word is said. (bottled water is bought after the xray scan inside the departure lounge)
Same here, have travelled extensively and never had a problem throughout CONUS, Asia, Europe, & Middle East. if anything it is the laptop they want to inspect, and or its bag due to all the electronic stuff inside.

Q-6

·
Registered
990 Posts
I know the security measure was taken a couple years ago. There were worries that al qaida was developing some sort of pressure activated bomb using a pathy or like item. I have gone through many airports with mine, but have never been called on them.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I think it also depends, unfortunately on your overall "appearance":think:. My brother in-law who is half native American (mom is full blood), seems to get "randomly" selected for search every time he flies, whether he is wearing a fine suit, or shorts and a T-shirt<|.
He has also been mistaken for a taxi-driver when pulling up to a nice hotel (three college students-drunk piled into his car- a Dodge Intrepid- and asked to be taken to the airport:roll:)Stereotypes anyone?
Enough said.b-)
I don't think he wears digital watches BTW.

·
Registered
274 Posts
There were stories in the press a year or two ago about extra scrutiny involved with those who were wearing casio altimeter functioned watches. There was some concern that they could be used somehow as detonators to make a bomb go off when a certain altitude measurement came up on the watch.
Oh, Jesus how your americans is frightened of exactly everything according to flights. Why this frighteness? Everyone that travels to your country doesnt have bad purpouses with their visit. I dont know any other country in the world that has this really stupid attitude for saftey. What are you scared off? Do you think anyone will bring an atomic bomb into your country??? You are really funny and stupid if you think that way.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I know where you're coming from, sportmats, but you're taking the thread in a potentially 'difficult' direction... ;-)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts