WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I have been wanting to get a Tourbillon for some time and was looking at the Tag Heuer Carrera T02 but the wife has kind of quashed the watch buying for a while and put me on a time-out and said I have to sell/trade something to before she will allow me to buy another watch (yes she has my nuts locked in a cabinet). I live in Vegas and had an amazing run at video poker during our bi-weekly night of debauchery (2 royal flushes and 4 aces w/kicker) and stumbled in the door at home at 3am and unfortunately went straight for the computer and in my drunken stuper decided to forgo adult entertainment for watches. I had been looking at some of the Chinese Tourbillons as a way to satisfy my desire and was looking at Memorigin (which are $2500-5k) and Minorva (sub $1000). Well that genius Jeff Bezos can obviously read my mind because when I went to Amazon this Akribos Tourbillon popped up for high $600. The next morning (afternoon) when I awoke I didn't even remember buying it but checked my email and BAM. Enough history behind the purchase here is my review:

Watch arrived the NEXT day (yea Bezos is also a magician). The box was ok, nothing really special but I wouldn't expect it to be and I really could care less about the box- only complaint was the watch was just placed around a pillow (which a lot of watches come that way) but the pillow wasn't large enough to fill the case so the watch just kind of rolled around in the box- luckily no damage but they should improve that (I have a pic of it below).

However, when I removed the watch I was immediately struck by the weight- it felt heavy (in a good way) and very solid. As you see in my profile I have watches that run the gamut from cheap (seikos, stuhrling, etc) to very high end (PP, Rolex, Cartier) and I have to say this watch looked and felt very solid and expensive. I was prepared to return it and I know this is cliché but this watch looks 10x better in person than the pics. On the wrist one would think this is a VERY high-end watch. I got the Rose Gold version and it is absolutely beautiful. The dial especially looks amazing with a lot of decorative stamping (Guilloche I suppose the snobs call it? JK lol) but it is really beautiful. I put my loupe on and yes under the loupe and bright light u can tell this isn't a 50k watch with some very light swirls in some areas on the RG plating. The crown is beautiful and the deployment clasp nice enough and works well. The see thru case back is nice though I wish you could see a little more of the movement (a large bridge plate covers most of it but u can see the crown wheel and ratchet and of course the Tourbillon part is completely open). The tourbillon looks nice and with the naked eye u don't see many flaws and it looks ok under a loupe but obviously you can tell under the loupe it is not the finish quality of a Breguet or JLC but very nice for the price.

Seems to keep pretty good time, I haven't officially measured it but set it to my computer yesterday morning and it is with a few seconds (tough to tell as there is no seconds hand tho the tourbillon has a little hand type marker that makes a revolution once a minute just no markers around the cage). My only complaint is that while the band felt like pretty good quality leather it is the color of a 1yr old toddlers diarrhea (seriously looks like someone used the band to take a stool sample for their Gastro Doc). I put a black band I had on it and it looked way better and order a couple of dark browns to put on permanently. Glad I bought it and it is fun to watch now and then and I will wear it now and then. Mostly I am glad because it made me realize that while its cool perhaps I would rather get a different complication when I am ready to spend the money like a minute repeater or true Perpetual Calendar. Here are some pics- hope this was entertaining and useful.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Watch Analog watch Black Watch accessory Fashion accessory
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Product Watch Box Material property Fashion accessory
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Box Fashion accessory Material property Jewellery Ring

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Fun stuff indeed. Enjoy your tourbillon! I once owned a dive watch with an automatic Sea-Gull tourbillon movement. I sometimes wish I would have not let it go...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update- Kept the watch wound for 3 days and it kept excellent time. This wasn't scientific I just set it to my computer and after 3 days it was within 15-20 seconds which I thought was pretty good. Then I wound it fully and let it run and it ran for roughly 43 hours which again I thought was pretty good. I have noticed a few more slight flaws and changed that hideous band out for a Brown/Burgundy alligator one. Overall, I would say I am very happy with the watch. I have since read reviews on forums and Amazon on other Akriobos watches which were not so good. Maybe I got lucky or maybe they make a greater effort on their more expensive models. Either way I would recommend this particular piece if you want a nice looking, relatively inexpensive Tourbillon

·
Registered
423 Posts
Update- Kept the watch wound for 3 days and it kept excellent time. This wasn't scientific I just set it to my computer and after 3 days it was within 15-20 seconds which I thought was pretty good. Then I wound it fully and let it run and it ran for roughly 43 hours which again I thought was pretty good. I have noticed a few more slight flaws and changed that hideous band out for a Brown/Burgundy alligator one. Overall, I would say I am very happy with the watch. I have since read reviews on forums and Amazon on other Akriobos watches which were not so good. Maybe I got lucky or maybe they make a greater effort on their more expensive models. Either way I would recommend this particular piece if you want a nice looking, relatively inexpensive Tourbillon
That was a great narrative as usual David! It's amazing the Chinese can make a Tourbillion for that kind of money. I would like to see it when we get together next time.

Best,

TG

·
Registered
257 Posts
Great review. How has the watch kept time for the past few months?

·
Registered
199 Posts
The best part is that when you buy it from Amazon you get a two year warranty through them that covers the movement - for FREE :)

As the site says:

This watch is covered by a 2-Year Amazon.com Warranty provided by Asurion

The watch is serviced under the terms of the Amazon.com warranty instead of by the manufacturer, Akribos XXIV.
Good spot! Certainly gives you a bit more peace of mind.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have worn the watch about half dozen times and not only does it keep excellent time it seems to have brought me some of that Chinese luck. Every time I have worn it to gamble I have won at least one decent sized jackpot so not only is it a good timepiece its been a great investment lol. Seriously, no complaints- it runs perfect and keeps time like a chronometer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have worn the watch about half dozen times and not only does it keep excellent time it seems to have brought me some of that Chinese luck. Every time I have worn it to gamble I have won at least one decent sized jackpot so not only is it a good timepiece its been a great investment lol. Seriously, no complaints- it runs perfect and keeps time like a chronometer.
hi, do you still have the watch? if so, how is it holding up? how is the movement, leather band and the gold plating?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.