WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I’m currently considering a pre-owned Alaska Project Speedy. I’ve always wanted an Omega, but just have not got round to it.
This would be my first Speedy and I wanted something a little less ubiquitous than the usual black dial variant. I’m a sucker for crisp white dials!
I’ve been offered the following for £8,000/ $10,300 by the first owner. He has the full set with an additional bracelet (not sure if that came with these Alaska projects), but no service has been carried out. Claims he has only worn during special occasions and that it’s in good condition. He also said something about the warranty card never being date stamped when he purchased it and that it was some kind of bonus?
Guys, what do you think from the pics and the price?
Is this truly an iconic piece?
Is there longevity in this piece?
Will it maintain its price a few years down the line?
It’s a lot of money for my first Omega and I’d really appreciate some expert advice.
Kindest regards
Al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,140 Posts
Worn on special occasions only but randomly taking pics of it in his car with another watch already on. Resolution is terrible, but I see scratches on every link.

Whatever you do, make sure he isn't from Iceland

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Worn on special occasions only but randomly taking pics of it in his car with another watch already on. Resolution is terrible, but I see scratches on every link.

Whatever you do, make sure he isn't from Iceland

Unfortunately, those were the best pics I could get from him.
There is another bracelet in the set- maybe that was the original one?
What do you think of the price?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are a few listed on watchrecon that can give you an idea of what people were asking:

https://www.watchrecon.com/?query=alaska+omega&last_days=0

It's definitely an iconic and unusual/rare piece, but is also a bit of a niche item. I'd never even consider buying a watch that expensive from those pics! Buy the seller, and all that.
Many thanks. Despite the poor pics, the sellers been quite open and has suggested on an initial f2f meet so I can thoroughly check the watch, which is re-assuring to know.

·
Registered
8,352 Posts
Depends on how much you like it - it is a rare and expensive Speedmaster (prices have gone up a lot). If you meet at a trusted watchmaker’s shop, he can likely open the back and authenticate it. No one knows about future values - buy it if you like it :)

At that price, I’m personally more likely to buy a better movement on a Speedmaster e.g. GSOTM or white dial Racing 9300 model.

I fully support your idea of getting a non-black/white Speedy though; I have a mediocre white dial model as my first Speedmaster and it’s served me well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Seems kinda crazy to me to buy an Alaska as your first Speedy, but if you like it you like it. Those pics are just horrible.

If you want white, the Speedy Tuesday Limited Edition I think is much more attractive and versatile, but that's just me.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depends on how much you like it - it is a rare and expensive Speedmaster (prices have gone up a lot). If you meet at a trusted watchmaker’s shop, he can likely open the back and authenticate it. No one knows about future values - buy it if you like it :)

At that price, I’m personally more likely to buy a better movement on a Speedmaster e.g. GSOTM or white dial Racing 9300 model.

I fully support your idea of getting a non-black/white Speedy though; I have a mediocre white dial model as my first Speedmaster and it’s served me well.
Thanks blowfish89. What are your thoughts on his price?

·
Registered
9,712 Posts

Unfortunately, those were the best pics I could get from him.
There is another bracelet in the set- maybe that was the original one?
What do you think of the price?

Don't settle for bad pics.

Many thanks. Despite the poor pics, the sellers been quite open and has suggested on an initial f2f meet so I can thoroughly check the watch, which is re-assuring to know.

That's good then. Meet at a watchmaker

Have you checked the 2020 Olympic models?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't settle for bad pics.

That's good then. Meet at a watchmaker

Have you checked the 2020 Olympic models?

I have, the Japan variant is a winner and a possible contender, but I understand it’s a tad hard to get hold of? I’ll be doing some searches on the web for it.

·
Registered
9,712 Posts
Looking at the demand, I think it will be a sought after watch. Especially those who can get and afford the entire set.

I have an Olympic LE but it's not a popular one nor talked about. These speedmasters are in the spotlight.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
one of my favourite omegas,
but I wouldn't buy it from those pics.

even if a guy with those watches and that car somehow has a terrible phone, he's not even trying,
I'm sure he knows those are not enough when asking $10,300 for a watch.
I'd ask him for proper pics and, should that pose a problem, look elsewhere

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
If I had to pick an LE Omega that would appreciate in the next, say, 10 years, the Alaska Project would be high on the list. It's quirky and not very popular originally, not a lot were made, and they don't come up that often, but the base model is the classic Speedy Pro. All of this is part of the formula for later value appreciation.

Bubbles are super hard to predict, though - it's always a roll of the dice.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Make sure it's in the condition you want. It's a nice and limited piece, but trying to forecast modern Speedy long term value is a bit of a crapshoot since so many come out.

Alternative to consider is the Olympics model, and a Mitsukoshi modded Speedy

·
Registered
861 Posts
So, I don't know enough about the Alaska Project to have an opinion on price, etc. I will second those above who note that it sure seems to be an interesting mix of in-demand and very niche...

I'm a big fan of buying what you like, AND the Alaska Project Seamaster is a big leap for your first Omega... I'd sure want to feel like I got into it at a price where I had the option of selling without taking a bath if it somehow turned out to not be exactly what I wanted for the long run.

I'm also not sure where you found this watch/seller, but even with inspection, etc. I'd want a high-reputation well-known seller for a purchase of this value.

Long story short, I don't know you or your watch history or your needs or preferences, so I'm a little hesitant to offer advice. My overall reaction to the bits of information I *do* have is that you're talking about taking a huge and costly leap into a brand you haven't owned, from an unknown buyer, on a watch that you might not be able to sell rapidly, and it all leaves me uneasy.

The 'reasonable' choices would be to go pick up a new or pre-owned recent Speedy Pro with the newer bracelet, or pick one of the non-black-dial variants/LE's that speaks to you and find one at a decent price from a reputable seller.

Then, if after you've had that a year or two, you STILL want the Alaska Project bad, cycle your easily-sellable-at-minimum-loss Speedy Pro or LE or whatever onward, and grab an Alaska with confidence that it's worth the upgrade cost and you're getting EXACTLY what you wanted for your money.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Sorry, I guess I have one more thought...

As someone else noted, at $10K, I'd feel like I needed to ask myself if the price has moved out of reasonable Speedmaster territory. I know that's where Alaska Projects have moved towards, but at least for me personally, part of the appeal of the hesalite Speedy is that it's a tool watch, and while not cheap, it's also not insanely priced.

I bought my Speedy 9300 new from an AD for just over half that, a brand new Speedy Pro from an AD is well under half that amount, you could get a GSOTM new from an AD for something very close to that number, and lightly used (with no scratches, etc. due to the ceramic case) for thousands less, or an excellent condition Submariner, or... a LOT of other awfully nice watches.

Point being, you're in essence buying one of the most-expensive Speedy variants on the market... if that's EXACTLY what you want and the premium is worth it to you, by all means buy and enjoy it. But the premium for that particular variant is massive, and puts you into an entirely other price range where some really sweet watches also live.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Seller willing to meet f2f. I would meet at an AD or a reputable watchmaker for appraisal....and if everything is legit....time to haggle a tad on the price. Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts