WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched for the brand Alba on the forums and only got results from their diver watches. I found this one on the web for about 50-55 shipped and wonder what people think about it. I believe it uses Seiko 7T92 Quartz Chrono Movement. Anyone have experience with this watch, brand, or this movement?

THANKS!
Nick

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the two that I like, the yellow would be eye catching. But the black could be dressier. Which do you guys/gals like?

Peace to all and to all a good night!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I like the black!:-! But it was a close choice.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have the diver with automatic movement. I paid $118 for it. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the watch. The bracelet was especially nice. It would have fit close to a 10" wrist. It was massive and well built for such an affordable watch. I can't complain about the watch I have. I feel like I got a bargain.

p.s. I like the yellow. If you have never had a yellow watch you might be surprised at how much you like it. Black of course is traditional. Consider how often you plan on wearing the watch and in what context. Outdoors, go yellow. Work and business, go black.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like them both but I feel that Yellow would be too bright for me, I am a pale person haha. Also, I will be a graduate student soon and I feel the Yellow may give off the wrong impresson, and I am not a real center of attention type person either so... The black seems sporty and could be dressy at the same time, and honestly it looks nicer/more expensive than the yellow.

·
Vendor
255 Posts
Alba, if I'm not mistaken, is an offshoot of Seiko; wholly owned by Seiko. (if I'm wrong correct me)

So if you think Seiko is good, you should be pleased!

Thanks-
Marc

·
Registered
345 Posts
yeah.. the same great quality as seiko...
lorus is seiko cheapest brand.. seiko is the top one.. pulsar is in the middle.. where is alba ?! above or equal with pulsar ?! :D

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It would seem to me that Alba is either at Pulsar level or right at Seiko. The has many shared seiko parts such as the movement and the hardlex crystal. The band also looks like solid steel, unlike my Seiko 5's. But when I win it and get it I'll be sure to leave a review.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a Alba automatic diver and love it. It has very high quality fit and finish for the money. Alba is a Seiko brand and uses Seiko automatic and quartz movements in their watches. I think they are a bargin.
Agree 100%. I have two Alba divers, the black face/green hand model, and the yellow LE diver. Both are extremely well made, and definitely worth the money.

FYI, it looks like Seiko shares their whole parts bin with Alba. For example, the hands on my LE diver are right off an Atlas (different color, but the shape is unmistakable).

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agree 100%. I have two Alba divers, the black face/green hand model, and the yellow LE diver. Both are extremely well made, and definitely worth the money.

FYI, it looks like Seiko shares their whole parts bin with Alba. For example, the hands on my LE diver are right off an Atlas (different color, but the shape is unmistakable).
I agree, I would bet that all they are doing is using maybe older or outdated movements and parts and putting them in a more young adult package (maybe current pieces, is the 7T92 new or old?). The key for companies is market share, with seiko owning a brand in most price ranges they can take a bigger market share. Usually people aren't even aware that most companies are owned by a bigger umbrella company.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree, I would bet that all they are doing is using maybe older or outdated movements and parts and putting them in a more young adult package (maybe current pieces, is the 7T92 new or old?). The key for companies is market share, with seiko owning a brand in most price ranges they can take a bigger market share. Usually people aren't even aware that most companies are owned by a bigger umbrella company.
Eh, I was wrong. Seiko is still using the 7T92 movement in their chrono's as well. Of course they are entry level watches but, in the watches they are putting this movement in are selling from 80-150 bucks. And if I can get this one for 40-50 I think it is a steal!B-) :p

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
yeah.. the same great quality as seiko...
lorus is seiko cheapest brand.. seiko is the top one.. pulsar is in the middle.. where is alba ?! above or equal with pulsar ?! :D
Small correction:

Depending on the market, AKA, Pulsar, or Spoon will occupy the lower end of the seiko spectrum, with lorus slotting in slightly above them. The top of the line seiko brands are now Credor and Grand Seiko, not Seiko.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Alba was part of the plan to change the perceptions outside Japan of Seiko. The general wisdom is that Seiko is a ~$250 MAX watch brand in the USA. Seiko in Japan, as we know, has many levels up to the $100-200k level. The long-term plan was something like - take the lower end watches and move them into alternative labels while reserving the highest end (progressively higher apparently in a gradual manner) for the actual "Seiko" label. Alba apparently was intended for the Sport/Dive watch segment of that process.

Not too sure what the change in senior management recently at Seiko means for this approach/process/plan?

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds to me like what I said earler, they just want a part of every price level segment. This equals more shelf space (figuratively and literally) and more money. Its a good idea for them, but bad for the consumer, because when a company takes up more shelf space, it usually means higher prices. *procter and gamble come to mind*

·
Affordables Moderator
17,577 Posts
I love my Alba diver, top notch fit and finish for under $120 shipped. I believe it is one of my favorites (out of 40+watches) :-!

Cheers,
Griff

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Sounds to me like what I said earler, they just want a part of every price level segment. This equals more shelf space (figuratively and literally) and more money. Its a good idea for them, but bad for the consumer, because when a company takes up more shelf space, it usually means higher prices. *procter and gamble come to mind*
No, the overall product plan - as I understood it - was to increase the overall average price of Seiko sales by gradually shifting to higher and higher priced watches in the US market (and the EU too). Abandoning the lower end and entering the higher end shelves so to speak.

Recall that Seiko 5, Alba, and other brands are not intended for either domestic Japanese nor US distribution. Seiko 5s are typically meant for Pacific rim countries, So Amer., and such.

I don't see their getting into higher end watches as bad in any way - frankly there has been too much of a monopoly by Swatch and some other "Swiss" makers IMHO. There are some that truly appear to believe that if a watch was not made by people that speak German that it can not possibly be worth much. They are just plain wrong - but hey that means that a Grand Seiko sells for ~$3k when if it were labled "Swiss Made" it would sell for 2x, 3x that much - so I am not complaining|>

1 - 20 of 24 Posts