WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

I would like to introduce you to the Alfa Type 1

I have recently been playing around with different watch designs and have begun looking into what it would take to make this watch dream of mine a reality. Before I get to far I would like get the opinions of some of my esteemed WUS fellows. It is a slightly automotive inspired tool watch that is meant to be worn. Price point is hard to say at this time but I would like to keep it well under 1000$. The case design is still under review with minimal changes coming. The case is made from steel and it will have a brushed finish and will be 41mm in diameter at around 10-11mm thick. I would like it to have a domed sapphire crystal with AR coating on the underneath only and a Miyota 9015 movement. The rest of the major details should be on the image provided.

In sticking with the automotive theme the watch would be presented in a leather travel pouch with spring bar tool and case back wrench to mimic the old leather tools found in some classic cars.

In case it cant be seen in the image the text underneath the "automatic" is V/h 28800, obviously mimicking the details on a car speedometer.

Let me know what you guys think. All questions and comments are welcome!

Have a great day everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Honest feedback:

I like the minute track design, sets itself apart somewhat with that feature.

The rest of the design seems fairly generic to me. Not that that is a completely bad thing, it has a place as a no-frills, every-day wearer. However, that also makes it far more difficult to stand-out when it comes to marketing/sales.

Lastly, I really dislike the font used for the logo and the Automatic text, it comes off as too "cartoony", especially considering the rest of the design is very toolish. A blockier font, and perhaps being smaller, would do wonders. Also, maybe something of a slightly different design on the 12 marker, to set it apart from the rest (wider, longer, along those lines would work).

·
Registered
867 Posts
Being a petrol-head, I usually like automotive inspired watches. But somehow, your design does not evoke automotive to me. The minutes markers is an interesting concept though. Maybe you should evolve your design based on this theme?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the comments guys.
I was going from something a bit more subtle, the automotive watches I have seen tend to slap you in the face with the auto theme. I wanted to create something that that would appeal to a broader range of people while still having those slight automotive ques. The min track for example was inspired by a checkered fag and the V/p is obviously a nod to a speedometer dial. Another part of the auto theme has to do with how it would be presented to the customer (which i have not shown here.) I agree that the 12 hour marker needs to be distinguished and am open to some font changes. Thanks again!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'd try to remove the reduntant hour markers from the minute track, you already have the internal ones. This will also give some more presence to the 12 marker since the track there is double sized.

...and drop the font!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I actually favor the font. It's not boring found-in-just-every-watch typeface. But I'm a bit worried the brand can be easily mistaken with Alpha, already existing watch brand (currently Chinese, specializing in homages)

I think the seconds hand should reach at least the midpoint of the min track to be functional.
Also car instrument panel dial almost always have digits or icons besides markers. The hands are also more pilot watch style, not instrument panel style. This might be the reason your dial doesn't speak automotive very loud.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts