WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the foolish(?) question, but I was wondering if all G-Shocks were low temp resistant?

I've noticed that only a few will list "low temp -10 or -20" in the features. I remember as a kid- freezing my G-Shocks and they were always fine afterwards.

Well a friend's birthday is coming up, and I thought it would be a cool way to present a gift. In a block of ice. :-!

Don't everyone attack me for freezing a watch okay. :-d

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I don't think so, but I would be interested in hearing from someone about exactly what the physical differences are between Casio's 'low temp resist' LCDs and normal G-Shock LCDs.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Cool idea! I'm not sure what the specification is for a standard G-Shock, I know the Mudman and 7900 have low temp resistance. For even lower temps, down to -30, you'll need one of these...

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I don't think so, but I would be interested in hearing from someone about exactly what the physical differences are between Casio's 'low temp resist' LCDs and normal G-Shock LCDs.
I don't know about modern G-Shock low-temp LCDs but comparing the vintage models the main difference is that the Wide-Temp LCD has the polarizing filter attached/sealed in place, whereas the standard LCD, then as now, has separate filter. I'm sure there are other differences.

491 vs 240 module LCD

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
G's that handle low temps are usually advertised as "Low Temperature Resistant (-20°C)". That's the reason I bought my Mudman G9000 -- I needed it for a week-long snowmobile-camping trip in the frozen north (northern-most part of Michigan, that is, right on Lake Superior -- sweeet!). It functioned perfectly, even with almost constant exposure to zero degree (Farenheit) temps, not to mention the 6-8 hours of vibration from the sleds each day.

Attachments

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh I see, so it seems like there are specific low temp resist G-Shockss then.

Would anyone happen to know off the back of there head, which models are low temp? I was looking at the basic Mudman or a 5600.

·
Banned
856 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Guys, this might sound like a stupid question but... what about full analog G's like a GW-2000?
Is there a limitation where the mechanic (there is a little bit) will freeze or so?

Greets,

Matt

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
G's that handle low temps are usually advertised as "Low Temperature Resistant (-20°C)". That's the reason I bought my Mudman G9000 -- I needed it for a week-long snowmobile-camping trip in the frozen north (northern-most part of Michigan, that is, right on Lake Superior -- sweeet!). It functioned perfectly, even with almost constant exposure to zero degree (Farenheit) temps, not to mention the 6-8 hours of vibration from the sleds each day.
Man those are absolutely brutal conditions! Good thing you were wearing the G and not something else.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Found this:
Black resin case and band, Digital dial, Mud Resistant, Case & buttons are sealed to prevent mud, dirt and dust from getting into the watch, Multi-Band 5 Atomic timekeeping, Tough Solar power, Shock Resistant, Auto Dual EL Backlights with Afterglow, Low Temperature Resistant (-20 Degrees C), World Time, Countdown Timer, Hourly Time Signal, Auto Calendar, 12/24 Hour Formats

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'm assuming most of the G;s can handle cold conditions guess the ones advertised for it is just done for marketing

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Hi,
on the ones not advertised as 'low-temp-resist LCD' the digits slow down noticeably when it gets very cold. Everybody who ever left his cell phone in a car in winter knows the effect. So there is really a difference - it's not just marketing. However most (all) G-Shocks will survive -20°C - the low-temp really only concerns the display and the digits getting slower and blurry (doesn't have an effect on time-keeping - although every quartz watch reacts to changes in temperature of course but not because of the LCD but because of the reaction of the quartz crystal to low temperatures).
The GW-9000 is not advertised as 'low-temp resist LCD' btw. ggyy1276 is correct - only the (current) models with a module based on the 3031 have a 'low-temp-resist LCD':
G-9000
G-800BD
GLS-5600
GLS-5500
G-7900

Greetings, Sedi :)

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Sedi!

I have been trying to decide on a new G for a few months now. The choice is very difficult, as many great looking ones are constantly released.

The G7900 has had my interest since it's release. But my usual source never has it in stock. Money is tight, so I can't buy 3 G's a month like the good ol' days.

·
Premium Member
9,011 Posts
Not sure I've ever done this before - resurrected a thread from 10 years ago!! :-x:-x

Please don't shoot the questioner. (me) :-d It's relevant to my questions.

In reading thru that thread, it appears that the only Gs officially listed as "low-temp resistant" then were digital only, and that was before Casio's big push into analog and ana-digi Gs.

So now I'm wondering, are there any recent models (last 5-7 years), especially analog or ana-digi Gs, that are officially listed as low-temp resistant?? :think: Also wondering, for Gs NOT officially listed as low-temp resistant, will they more or less all work reliably down to about 14 deg F? (the low value listed in specs for many G's thermometer readings)

I'm not planning a trip to the arctic or anything, only curious. I know I own at least a couple Gs that are low-temp resistant, and am wondering if I own others that are and I'm not aware of it. (the ones I own that are low-temp resist are the GLS-5600s) ;-)

Reactions: Ryanjeepguy

·
Registered
8,145 Posts
Not sure I've ever done this before - resurrected a thread from 10 years ago!! :-x:-x

Please don't shoot the questioner. (me) :-d It's relevant to my questions.

In reading thru that thread, it appears that the only Gs officially listed as "low-temp resistant" then were digital only, and that was before Casio's big push into analog and ana-digi Gs.

So now I'm wondering, are there any recent models (last 5-7 years), especially analog or ana-digi Gs, that are officially listed as low-temp resistant?? :think: Also wondering, for Gs NOT officially listed as low-temp resistant, will they more or less all work reliably down to about 14 deg F? (the low value listed in specs for many G's thermometer readings)

I'm not planning a trip to the arctic or anything, only curious. I know I own at least a couple Gs that are low-temp resistant, and am wondering if I own others that are and I'm not aware of it. (the ones I own that are low-temp resist are the GLS-5600s) ;-)
I can't find any temperature range spec in the manual for my PRW-S6000, but for my PAW-5000 it does say low temp resistant, even though it's not really (14 °F).

My GLS-5600, G-9000 and G-7900 say low temp resistant in the specs online. Only the GLS-5600 seems to specify the lower temp limit in the manual (-4 °F).

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,011 Posts
@Time4Playnow,

Soo, are you warming up to doing 'my' freezer test?

:D

Anyhow, this thread has some info:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/mudmaster-low-temperature-resistant-4590185.html

Basically the ABC temperature sensor operating range is listed with -10C to 60C. So if the watch is designed to measure these temperatures, then it needs to be able to withstand these temperatures as well.
Uh, no. No freezer test for my Gs.

Thanks for the link to that thread, which I had actually posted in, and completely forgotten about. I did use a Protrek PRW-2500 as an "outdoor weather gauge" for about 5 yrs, and it was there in ALL types of weather, 24/7 for that time, including single digit temps. It functioned always, although the thermo did not indicate any readings lower than 14 deg F, to my recollection.

The whole reason I was thinking of this was that I had a similar question about one of my mechanical watches. I do not know how very cold temps affect those.... but am awaiting input from others on another forum.

Reactions: WES51 and Dxnnis
1 - 20 of 22 Posts