WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I am a drummer and a big fan of Blakey, I think the all new Blakey LE (1000 pieces) is a nice tribute to him but I don’t know a lot about Oris’ pricing, all I know is their watches are well-made and worth the money. I would like to get this watch but the price is a bit steep ($2100 before tax), I have heard Oris watches go on 20-40% sale, do you know if the limited edition models go on sale too or they sell out pretty quickly? I want to know if I should wait to get it at lower price. What’s your opinion?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All,
I am a drummer and a big fan of Blakey, I think the all new Blakey LE (1000 pieces) is a nice tribute to him but I don’t know a lot about Oris’ pricing, all I know is their watches are well-made and worth the money. I would like to get this watch but the price is a bit steep ($2100 before tax), I have heard Oris watches go on 20-40% sale, do you know if the limited edition models go on sale too or they sell out pretty quickly? I want to know if I should wait to get it at lower price. What’s your opinion?
Posted this before seeing there is already a thread on this.

·
Premium Member
61,645 Posts
In my experience Oris LEs don’t sell out all that quickly. It depends on the watch. Generally the jazz watches sell out faster than the divers. If it’s a watch that you want I wouldn’t risk missing it just because you wanted for a sale. Believe me the pain of paying over the odd for a watch is nothing compared to that you feel when you have missed out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In my experience Oris LEs don’t sell out all that quickly. It depends on the watch. Generally the jazz watches sell out faster than the divers. If it’s a watch that you want I wouldn’t risk missing it just because you wanted for a sale. Believe me the pain of paying over the odd for a watch is nothing compared to that you feel when you have missed out.
I agree, that feeling would suck. I just brought it up because I read somewhere that their watches get heavily discounted, almost half price. All the previous Jazz editions are available pre-owned in like-new condition on the internet for half price but I don’t think this is a watch I want to buy used.
I haven’t been able to find one in store to try out first.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Oris 65 x Hodinkee LE sold out pretty quickly.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I agree, that feeling would suck. I just brought it up because I read somewhere that their watches get heavily discounted, almost half price. All the previous Jazz editions are available pre-owned in like-new condition on the internet for half price but I don’t think this is a watch I want to buy used.
I haven’t been able to find one in store to try out first.
If I were a drummer and a big fan of Blakey like you, I'd get it new directly from Oris, with my name on the purchase history. This watch is going to be meaningful. I don't think LE will be heavily discounted, even used, it might drop slightly due to pre-owned condition. Life is short, don't worry about those few hundreds, it will make you much happier knowing that you are the first owner. Also the excitement of not knowing which # out of 1000 you will be getting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I were a drummer and a big fan of Blakey like you, I'd get it new directly from Oris, with my name on the purchase history. This watch is going to be meaningful. I don't think LE will be heavily discounted, even used, it might drop slightly due to pre-owned condition. Life is short, don't worry about those few hundreds, it will make you much happier knowing that you are the first owner. Also the excitement of not knowing which # out of 1000 you will be getting.
Yea that adds to the cool factor and the history when I look back after many years. I talked to a certified Oris retailer here and he pretty much said the same thing, he said the LEs don’t get discounted heavily, he said he could order it for me and also give me some discount.
I wish the case was 40mm instead of 38mm but my wrist size is average so I guess it is fine. 40mm on my wrist would pop out more and look better.
I have always thought of having one nice (in terms of brand/quality/price) watch and I always thought that would be a Rolex, but I don’t think I will ever be comfortable spending $5k+ on a watch (maybe) but I saw this Oris watch that I could relate to, price will probably be below or at $2000k for me, I have the money and it won’t hurt me financially or I won’t go into debt but this will be that 1 expensive watch I always thought of, if I go for it. It is still scary though I have always worn $100-200 Seiko 5 watches.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Just don't actually drum while wearing the watch.

Ball makes several watches with a technology cslled SpringLOCK. They had Kiss drummer Eric Singer drum with one of the watches on and the technology protected the movement. None of the Ball watches were made specifically for drummers nor to look like a drum.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just don't actually drum while wearing the watch.

Ball makes several watches with a technology cslled SpringLOCK. They had Kiss drummer Eric Singer drum with one of the watches on and the technology protected the movement. None of the Ball watches were made specifically for drummers nor to look like a drum.
Haha I actually might play with the watch on my hand since I play light music, mostly jazz. If I played heavy rock or something I wouldn’t. I can wear it a little higher on my hand (an inch or two) so it doesn’t accidentally hit my side cymbal, that would suck. I hadn’t even heard about Ball, I will check it out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd get it new directly from Oris, with my name on the purchase history.
If I get it from a certified Oris retailer (They order it for me), will my name still be on the purchase history or I have to order it myself from Oris’ website?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Haha I actually might play with the watch on my hand since I play light music, mostly jazz. If I played heavy rock or something I wouldn’t. I can wear it a little higher on my hand (an inch or two) so it doesn’t accidentally hit my side cymbal, that would suck. I hadn’t even heard about Ball, I will check it out.
In many cases, it is the violent shaking and abrubt stopping of one's arm that can throw a mechanical movement off. You would have to gauge whether or not your drumming, at any specific time, might be violent enough to 'upset' the movement.

Very cool that you are a Jazz drummer. What style(s) do you play.

Ball watches have an additional advantage of using GTLS tritium tubes for lume. Not all of their watches feature SpringLOCK. Most use ETA movements, they alsohave a relatively new manufacture 80 hour power reserve movement.

I have several Ball watches, they are well made. Their slogan used to be 'Accuracy Under Adverse Conditions'. There is an Official Ball Forum here on WUS.

I also have three Oris watches and used to have a fourth. Oris makes a nice watch as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In many cases, it is the violent shaking and abrubt stopping of one's arm that can throw a mechanical movement off. You would have to gauge whether or not your drumming, at any specific time, might be violent enough to 'upset' the movement.

Very cool that you are a Jazz drummer. What style(s) do you play.

Ball watches have an additional advantage of using GTLS tritium tubes for lume. Not all of their watches feature SpringLOCK. Most use ETA movements, they alsohave a relatively new manufacture 80 hour power reserve movement.

I have several Ball watches, they are well made. Their slogan used to be 'Accuracy Under Adverse Conditions'. There is an Official Ball Forum here on WUS.

I also have three Oris watches and used to have a fourth. Oris makes a nice watch as well.
Good point, the movement won’t be violent but there will be lots of sudden movements, it is probably safer not to wear it when playing.
I play mostly Jazz, bossa nova, soft rock, funk. I am not a heavy hitter, so I don’t play heavy rock or metal. Thanks for the info on the Ball watches, I will check them out.

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
As a ex-tenor sax player, I think Oris did a great job with the Coltrane watch, even adding the Blue Train tracks on the dial. It was also around 2,000usd. Ultimately, if you want, and will enjoy, a themed watch, do it and don’t look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As a ex-tenor sax player, I think Oris did a great job with the Coltrane watch, even adding the Blue Train tracks on the dial. It was also around 2,000usd. Ultimately, if you want, and will enjoy, a themed watch, do it and don’t look back.
I think they have done a fine job with the Art Blakey watch too. $2000 is a lot but I think it is worth it for me as a drummer and a jazz lover.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts