WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
A nice example. Clearly a replacement crown but the dial and hands are untouched and still intact and clean. The price asked was well above what these three dial chronos seem to go for. Even the gold cased ones don't usually go for near the asked price.

Caveat Emptor.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,881 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hartmut Richter said:
According to recent research, the "in house" status is mildly questionable - it appears that all UG chronograph movements were actually made by Martel Watch Co. (Les Ponts de Martel, Canton Neuchatel) who also supplied mainly Zenith and were later taken over by Zenith.

(For those willing to read through a very extensive discussion:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f27/short-history-martel-watch-co-zenith-chronographs-660565.html)

Hartmut Richter
Well that has to be viewed in the context of the nature of the Swiss watch industry where that sort of partnership was traditionally the norm. The relationship between UG, Zenith and Martel was no secret. The thread you link to is an interesting one that substantiates and confirms what was long believed.

By the same token, the 'in house' status of Rolex movements is also 'questionable'.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
According to recent research, the "in house" status is mildly questionable - it appears that all UG chronograph movements were actually made by Martel Watch Co. (Les Ponts de Martel, Canton Neuchatel) who also supplied mainly Zenith and were later taken over by Zenith
Hmmm...learn something new every day!

Can't say I'm surprised though. There were very few chronograph manufacturers in Switzerland in those days and all the companies shared.

Take care and thanks for the link,
gatorcpa

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,881 Posts
Rolex didn't really own Aegler (or whatever it was called later) until 2005. The two companies were always separate, although I believe that the ties were quite close. Until then, technically speaking, Rolex did not have manufacture ("in house") movements but rather what in the trade is called "reserved calibres". The thing I am most interested in here is: who designed the movements? Rolex or "Aegler"?!!

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome info. Thank you for sharing. Personally really like these vintage UGs. Still looking for my perfect buy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts