WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 950 Posts

·
Registered
11,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a thread to discuss all the past, present, and future happenings of Helm watches. Helm is a brand that is relatively new. They released their first watch in 2015. Most of their success comes from presenting incredible value in a watch with cool designs that while derivative can not be claimed as homage to anything. Their watches are typically around $300. Which is nothing that unusual in an of itself but the whole package is amazing. $300 for an ISO rated diver, with a super bracelet, NATO strap, great lume, reliable movement, and exceptional customer service. The factory they use puts their case work well into the Helson/Armida level of case finishing.....for 1/2 the cost. I've been impressed with their work so far. If they can put out a watch that is a little less in your face and more detailed in terms of case design, I may find a Helm back on my wrist again.

Hopefully this helps you all keep up with the happenings at Helm!

Lets recap where Helm is to date. Helm's first watch was the Vanuatu

This was a very very well received watch but nothing is perfect. So what Helm did was take the feedback got from his customers and put out a version 2 of the Vanuatu that addressed all their concerns. Changes to the bezel, dial, lume, crown, case back, bracelet, spring bars, and handset were made.

Needless to say this version was even better received and sold out 2 batches rather quickly. This version also had a choice of ceramic or SS bezel. I went for the SS bezel

As an encore performance Helm then came out with the Khuraburi (Or as the other thread wants to call it the Khuarabuti). This model came in two version that were well received.

The unique feature of this watch was that it came with a choice of a 4 oclock or 10 oclock crown position. The value of the previous Vanuatu was still there in spades and this model also sold out. This model had some nuances that customers complained about and in response Helm is releasing a Gen 2 Khuraburi in mid February. Along with the popular orange model he will also be making a blue and white version that looks very hot! i think the primary change is to the sapphire crystal but I could be wrong about that.

The rumor is that Helm is working on a new release called the Komodo but no information is available yet......

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Hey VWG.... Thanks for the new accessible thread! Regardless of any differing opinions on the crystal on the Khuraburi, the upcoming K2 crystal does enhance the the look of depth to the dial, and of course far better clarity IMHO ;-)

Thanks again

RD

·
Registered
951 Posts
I am glad to see Helm get the recognition it deserves. Helm is delivering the best value for the buck. I have been on board before Vanuatu V1 was produced. This will be in my collection until the end.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Love my Vanuatu (currently on a cheapest nato straps leather) and waiting on the latest Khuraburi to come out...

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
Good thread, VWG. |>

Reactions: valuewatchguy

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Patiently awaiting the new Khuraburi batch. I sure hope the notification link works. Thanks for the thread.

·
Registered
11,426 Posts
I recently got one of these and I like everything except for the lack of date and honestly the Lume isn't that strong, I would rate it average the bezel Lume is definitely weak.

IMG_20180118_195924.jpg

Fit and finish wise I feel like it is the A1 more refined brother, I like the sapphire bezel, smoother edges, bubble crystal with AR but Lume wise the A1 is still leagues above the helm

·
Registered
229 Posts
I recently got one of these and I like everything except for the lack of date and honestly the Lume isn't that strong, I would rate it average the bezel Lume is definitely weak.

View attachment 12835827

Fit and finish wise I feel like it is the A1 more refined brother, I like the sapphire bezel, smoother edges, bubble crystal with AR but Lume wise the A1 is still leagues above the helm
My Vanuatu v.3 lume pretty much equals my best Seiko SBDC053 - and that's saying something. Maybe Helm upped their game with recent versions?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,943 Posts

View attachment 12835827

BGW9 and orange lumes with always be inferior to C3 which I believe is used on the Armida but I feel you buy this particular version with the dual lumes purely because of how it looks rather than how it performance through the night.

I suppose it could have done things different with this version, instead of giving the minute hand orange lumes I would have kept it white but done the edge of the hand orange. That way the function of the watch wouldn't have been compromised yet the theme would remain.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
BGW9 and orange lumes with always be inferior to C3 which I believe is used on the Armida but I feel you buy this particular version with the dual lumes purely because of how it looks rather than how it performance through the night.

I suppose it could have done things different with this version, instead of giving the minute hand orange lumes I would have kept it white but done the edge of the hand orange. That way the function of the watch wouldn't have been compromised yet the theme would remain.
I concur as well. It's a strong looker, and I think that's what drove the sales. There wasn't any way to know the lume strength until one received the watch, until the reviews started showing up. I too was thinking of a way to get lume on that minute hand. I thought the opposite. outline it with lume :)

@ AVS -- there were plenty of comments about the watch in the original thread, so you gotta do your homework, as you know and do. I didn't like the crystal bevel, and the minute hand I couldn't see after an hour at night. I sent mine back. I was very surprised about the lume, as all the photos showed it bright, and Helms reputation and the Vanuatu was good.

Knowing what I know now, I still love the watch, and I will most likely buy the new blue / orange edition. I'll just have to suck it up, and enjoy it "for looks alone". I know the crystal will be much improved for great legibility

·
Premium Member
5,830 Posts
Blue/white is what I will be looking for, as I imagine that will have c3 on it......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Finishing up the first week with my new Vanuatu. Outstanding watch for the money, as you all know. Feels great on the CS1 canvas strap. Have to say thanks to all of you who commented on the watch as it encouraged me to place the order. Now you got me looking at the Khuraburi, so thank you to the enablers!

<Admin edit: please review our rules>

1 - 20 of 950 Posts