WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After wearing watches for quite some years without any problems it turned out that i'm quite allergic to any steel contact nowedays (pain in my eyes). Even Titanium watches like Citizen are giving me issues with my eyes after contact for a few minutes.

My docter advices me to avoid direct steel contact with my skin.

I'm not a big fan of BUND straps, but this seems to be the only way, otherwise I should probably sell my watch collection. I already tried to apply clear nail polish, but this doesn't seem to work either.

What i'm looking for:

A store which sells BUND straps which can cover the complete watch, for a good price. I also don't want a big bund straps, because I have a small wrist. It also have to cover the crone. An "offline shop" in Holland would be even better to know ;-)

I want to put a bund strap on the following watches as a test:
-Citizen Skyhawk Titanium
-TW STeel 52

Other kind of straps suggestions which covers the complete watch would highly appreciated :-!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wow, that's terrible! I can't imagine getting taken out of the game because of an allergy! You can buy clear caseback stickers/protectors from Ofrei like the ones that you peel off new watches. Might be worth a try.

·
Premium Member
40,675 Posts
What about a NATO? The material would lift the steel away from your skin.

My wife has a similar problem and although she doesn't wear a watch very often, these seem to do the trick
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366184563.281130.jpg
Just search for Hirsch anti-allergy patch

Remember that with most straps (even with a bund), the clasp is likely to come into contact with your wrist.

I don't know how you feel about the styling, but this Rado (I'm wearing today) has an entirely ceramic case, with plastic on the case back and the inside of the bracelet
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366184758.127056.jpg
(Image taken from Jomashop)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thinking about this... could be a nickle allergy. Have you had yourself tested? Another option for you, solid gold watches! :lol:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, that's terrible! I can't imagine getting taken out of the game because of an allergy! You can buy clear caseback stickers/protectors from Ofrei like the ones that you peel off new watches. Might be worth a try.
Thanks! Good idea, but there are selling it only with 100 pieces :-d
I have watches from 42 till 45mm so I have to buy 200 pieces from 10 dollar (without shippingcosts), hmmm maybe I have to look elswhere.... Does anyone know another shop with less pieces ;-) ?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What about a NATO? The material would lift the steel away from your skin.

My wife has a similar problem and although she doesn't wear a watch very often, these seem to do the trick
View attachment 1050842
Just search for Hirsch anti-allergy patch

Remember that with most straps (even with a bund), the clasp is likely to come into contact with your wrist.

I don't know how you feel about the styling, but this Rado (I'm wearing today) has an entirely ceramic case, with plastic on the case back and the inside of the bracelet
View attachment 1050855
(Image taken from Jomashop)
It tried that trick today, but no result.... This watch is titanium but I still have the same eye problems (pain when I wear this watch. The problems disappear within a hour when the watch is removed from my skin).

Den Haag-20130417-00313.jpg

The Hirsch pads are an good option. Yesterday I was thinking about buying them, but the another problem is the clasp like you already mentioned. I have an Junkers watch which have some leather to prevent the clasp from touching the skin. I almost can't believe that there are no bund straps available with the same feature?

·
Vendor
3,056 Posts
Even with a NATO the watch is sides of the watch are still likely to touch your wrist, so the Bund might be the best option. Just keep in mind that the buckle may still touch your skin.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you tried watches with sapphire display backs?
No I did not... But when I wear watches with a glass back I notice less pain.... So the less steel, the better ;)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Reactions: Funkyman

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
You can always try your hands at creating your own bund strap so you can cut it perfectly to fit the back of your different watches and still make the band more narrow then the one you would normally buy. It shouldn't be too difficult to cut a pattern on a strip of leather or ask one of the very talented strap makers here on the site. As for the buckle, you could try fitting a plastic buckle from swatch or any other you might find.

There is also a synthetic rubber coating called Plasti dip. I have used this on cars, tools and watches in the past as a cheap alternative to pvd lol You could try coating the back of your watch with this and see how it works for you. Go on youtube, there is plenty of videos, it should give you an idea.

Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Rubber Dip Coating

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Did order this strap, I think this one can help me out b-)

380_watchstrap_My-LB06M-Tempelhof-schwRN.jpg

If anyone know more of this kind of straps (looking for a nylon instead of leather) please let me know :)

Another question, how many times can you replace a strap before you need to replace the springbars?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is resurrecting a long unused thread, but I have the same allergy - how did this band work out for you? Find anything else that worked?

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
No I did not... But when I wear watches with a glass back I notice less pain.... So the less steel, the better ;)
A reaction to gold is pretty rare. Have you tried a gold watch?

Never mind. Just realized this is a zombie thread.

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
You can always try your hands at creating your own bund strap so you can cut it perfectly to fit the back of your different watches and still make the band more narrow then the one you would normally buy. It shouldn't be too difficult to cut a pattern on a strip of leather or ask one of the very talented strap makers here on the site. As for the buckle, you could try fitting a plastic buckle from swatch or any other you might find.

There is also a synthetic rubber coating called Plasti dip. I have used this on cars, tools and watches in the past as a cheap alternative to pvd lol You could try coating the back of your watch with this and see how it works for you. Go on youtube, there is plenty of videos, it should give you an idea.

Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Rubber Dip Coating
I agree completely - the "backing" of a Bund strap is just a piece of leather cut to the size and shape you want with four simple slices for the strap to feed through...

Find a good eBay leather store and buy yourself a variety of 'remnants' (I use these folks, since they have a wide variety at reasonable prices - and are quick to answer questions and willing to custom cut http://stores.ebay.com/Tacoma-Glove?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 )

Have a look at the Chronisomo straps Sinn uses Di-Modell seld them - they have a small leather tab under the steel tang which prevents contact with your wrist...AND? They look really cool coupled with a bund backing in a contrasting color. Watch strap 20mm dark brown by Di-Modell Chronissimo waterproof light stiching

Just be creative...the solution is out there, and relatively cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
A reaction to gold is pretty rare. Have you tried a gold watch?

Never mind. Just realized this is a zombie thread.
Oops. I didn't check the date stamp.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts