WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this 1994 142M up for bid on an auction site. The description read, in part, "Watch has minor signs of wear, almost min condition." It certainly looks as if the handset is a replacement, the patina doesn't match the tritium markers in the slightest.

I queried the auctioneer on that lot and got this answer back (to his credit the auctioneer responded very quickly): "Those hands have a different design than the chrono hands. Patina is different because they are made different materials."

The dial is marked "T Swiss Made T." Is there a transitional model 142M from 1994 which would have H3 markers and phosphorescent hands, or am I right to suspect there's something missing from the "almost mint" claim?

d97924e6-f3fd-494d-98f3-64fb78abcb81.jpg

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
"Claim" not fact.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
199 Posts
My 142 (It's in my avatar) has hands and face that are still white with no signs of aging or patina yet, but the luminescence is vastly different. The hands fade within 10 to 15 minutes while the dial stays green for an hour. It is completely useless in the dark, and it drives me crazy. But in daytime, the white looks identical.

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
My 142 (It's in my avatar) has hands and face that are still white with no signs of aging or patina yet, but the luminescence is vastly different. The hands fade within 10 to 15 minutes while the dial stays green for an hour. It is completely useless in the dark, and it drives me crazy. But in daytime, the white looks identical.
I have been assured after further inquiries the hands "have a different treatment."

That's funny, though. I have an old Poljot Buran like that. It has lume on the markers, but none at all on the hands. I know I'm wearing a watch in the dark, but have no clue what time it is.

CGShorty, consum3r, how's the lume on your handsets?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I have been assured after further inquiries the hands "have a different treatment."

That's funny, though. I have an old Poljot Buran like that. It has lume on the markers, but none at all on the hands. I know I'm wearing a watch in the dark, but have no clue what time it is.

CGShorty, consum3r, how's the lume on your handsets?
It doesn't last long or get very bright. Nearly worthless.

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That certainly is strange a company like Sinn would use tritium hour markers and neglect the handset. I mean...why, for heaven's sake?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
That certainly is strange a company like Sinn would use tritium hour markers and neglect the handset. I mean...why, for heaven's sake?
My watch is more than 30 years old. I am surprised the lume works at all. The hands are no better or worse than the markers.

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
My watch is more than 30 years old. I am surprised the lume works at all. The hands are no better or worse than the markers.
That's an excellent point, actually. I shouldn't expect H3 to still be any good on a watch from 1994. In that regard, then, if the hands are SLN (or its equivalent) maybe they still have a decent glow to them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
On the auction image, below the day/date windows, I read "automatik".
On CGSshorty photo, there's a clear "automatic" there.

The difference might be legit ... or not.
It's worth researching IMHO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts