WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Vegas last week for a couple days. I (obviously) did some watch browsing. I came across this little beauty:

20170312_131222.jpg

I had never heard of this watch, much less seen it. I'm not entirely sure why I was so smitten with it. I couldn't find much about the watch, even to check to see how fair the cost was. If they were wanting a reasonable price, I think I would have walked away with it.

So... what do you think about this? Besides aesthetics, what do you think about it? I already have a yellow Breitling diver. This would fill the same basic niche. It's only 38mm, which is a size that just works for me. I have a larger wrist, so 38 is my small limit. But it seemed smaller, because it's a diver. But those are the only two drawbacks. I don't mind the date placement like a lot of folks, and it's color matched

Here's the reason I didn't pull the trigger: The salesperson annoyed the living .... out of me. It cost him a sale. I told him I was just looking and would let him know if I needed something. Yet, he hovered with me step for step. "Telling" me what watches I should like. I had on an Explorer II and he just ... kept... bringing.... up .... Rolex. Telling me which I should want. It was beyond annoying. I tried to explain my personal buying rationale, but he just went right on advising me without seeming to pick up the heavy vibes that I wanted some space. He never got more than 3 feet away on the other side of the counter. Normally, I'm not too picky about such things. There are many types of consumers, and a lot of them would probably dig this flavor of service. I can only suggest if you are completely deaf to social cues, maybe don't be a luxury item salesperson. The guy might have the best sales numbers in the country, but he didn't get my $2 grand.

Sorry for the rant. I am genuinely curious what people think about this watch. I've never liked Zenith, but have been close on 2 different occasions recently.

Have a great week, all!

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I too have been in that situation where the salesperson dogged me around the store and one particular time the manager I spoke to told the clerk to back off. Well, if looks could kill I wouldn't be writing this.....Being a salesperson, in the past for many years, You sometimes work on an up system and if you lose the sale you move to the end of the line. Seeing the ExII on you he judged you and plugged the Rolex.....If, say, you wore a Seiko or some other watch you might have been ignored completely and when you asked to see a watch his facial expressions would have revealed his not wanting to waste his time with you.....

I was in Vegas last week for a couple days. I (obviously) did some watch browsing. I came across this little beauty:

View attachment 11242650

I had never heard of this watch, much less seen it. I'm not entirely sure why I was so smitten with it. I couldn't find much about the watch, even to check to see how fair the cost was. If they were wanting a reasonable price, I think I would have walked away with it.

So... what do you think about this? Besides aesthetics, what do you think about it? I already have a yellow Breitling diver. This would fill the same basic niche. It's only 38mm, which is a size that just works for me. I have a larger wrist, so 38 is my small limit. But it seemed smaller, because it's a diver. But those are the only two drawbacks. I don't mind the date placement like a lot of folks, and it's color matched

Here's the reason I didn't pull the trigger: The salesperson annoyed the living .... out of me. It cost him a sale. I told him I was just looking and would let him know if I needed something. Yet, he hovered with me step for step. "Telling" me what watches I should like. I had on an Explorer II and he just ... kept... bringing.... up .... Rolex. Telling me which I should want. It was beyond annoying. I tried to explain my personal buying rationale, but he just went right on advising me without seeming to pick up the heavy vibes that I wanted some space. He never got more than 3 feet away on the other side of the counter. Normally, I'm not too picky about such things. There are many types of consumers, and a lot of them would probably dig this flavor of service. I can only suggest if you are completely deaf to social cues, maybe don't be a luxury item salesperson. The guy might have the best sales numbers in the country, but he didn't get my $2 grand.

Sorry for the rant. I am genuinely curious what people think about this watch. I've never liked Zenith, but have been close on 2 different occasions recently.

Have a great week, all!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Looked like some affordable micro brand duver in the tapatalk preview but with a lange in the case next to it lol. I wouldn't pay 2000 for it but it does have some character appeal so i kinda get why you were liking it. If you like it and you really think youll keep liking it get one.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
887 Posts
And yeah that salesman is the kind i despise. Real shame it got in the way of the watch. Im sure the size would work for you assuming you dont have gargantuan wrists

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Well, most people go into watch shopping not knowing a thing so I can understand the salesperson feeling the need the shepard the potential buyer. It's like everything else, cars, mattresses, TVs, etc. People don't know a thing and just walk in needing to be informed. Or worse, having completely unreasonable expectations.

But yeah, it does annoy the heck out of me too since I do know what I'm looking at.

·
Premium Member
71,532 Posts
It's a shame the salesperson managed to put you off such a fine looking watch but as you've already got a yellow Breitling it's not the end of the world.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
That's the kind of salesman that I hate the most...I remembered I went into Nike shop to browse some Jordans and the person kept saying that the latest basketball shoes are on the other side....simply annoying...

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Well, most people go into watch shopping not knowing a thing so I can understand the salesperson feeling the need the shepard the potential buyer. It's like everything else, cars, mattresses, TVs, etc. People don't know a thing and just walk in needing to be informed. Or worse, having completely unreasonable expectations.

But yeah, it does annoy the heck out of me too since I do know what I'm looking at.
The salesman was asking for a "get a CLUE" response, being that pushy. (Altho I'd rarely get that overt...but some days....) That's not being a shepherd; being a shepherd is asking questions and leading the buyer to what he wants, when he doesn't know how to get there. That's saying "I know what you want and like better than you do." It's also badgering the customer, from the sound of things.

Looking at the watch, the bright yellow is different and possibly interesting...but that approach is also common in the "all show, no go" fashion and copycat watch worlds. Not sure I could get past the association with school buses...which are predominately negative. And I'm not a fan of divers. I do like 38, yes...but as you say, the massive width of the dive bezel yields such a small dial. Doesn't work well for me. But...change the dial color, and you could have a fairly nice-looking piece.

On the price...looks like it's a Rainbow Elite. Out of production now...for quite a while, from what I can tell. Which, of course, could explain the salesman trying to push you off it. Gut feeling is, the manager probably would take a good chunk off, just to get it off the books.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Were you at Tourneau? If so, I know the watch you are talking about and while the Mango Elite is awesome, this one is extremely overpriced. Also, the bracelet will only fit a wrist smaller than 7" and I don't believe it had box/papers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts