WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone.

It occurred to me rather than read all the BS online about the state of the US economy, the consumer confidence index, blah blah...that I could simply ask the forum if they plan to buy a watch in 2010.

Well do you?
;-)

Couple more follow ups....

Buy more than one this year?

Spend more than, or less than $1000?

Must be______________.
(what? automatic? Swiss? 200M? 1000M? on a bracelet?)

How many watches over $500 MSRP do you currently own?

Thanks, and I think the results will be of interest to everyone here.

Happy New Year!

Aloha, John

·
Registered
830 Posts
That's a silly question. Of course I'm gonna buy another watch this year. Only one though. I've got camera equipment and scuba equipment to buy. I'll be getting an Omega Seamaster quartz in blue with the bond bracelent. I don't care that everyone and their mother has one. Also, if Rolex comes out with the submariner no date with the updated case used with the GMT and TT subs I'll be heavily looking at that. Other than that, probably not. But something might come up like a Boschett CD pvd in yellow.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Hi Everyone.

It occurred to me rather than read all the BS online about the state of the US economy, the consumer confidence index, blah blah...that I could simply ask the forum if they plan to buy a watch in 2010.

Well do you? ;-)

Must be______________.

Happy New Year!

Aloha, John
I plan to buy at least two watches this year. They will be automatics, Swiss movement and preferably 500-1000m. Bracelet is not important as I prefer rubber or Natos. I currently own 4 watches over $500.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Well do you? YES

Buy more than one this year? MOST LIKELY

Spend more than, or less than $1000? LESS

Must be DOESN'T MATTER. MOST LIKELY SOMEMORE G-SHOCKS.
How many watches over $500 MSRP do you currently own? TWO

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
My job currently sucks and HAS sucked since last spring.
Monthly, wk. long layoffs and now a 10% paycut.
So currently, no, I don't plan on buying anything, unless I sold something to cover it.
BUT I have, high hopes, high apple pie in the sky hopes...
Work seems to be gradually improving, so maybe by the 2nd. half of the yr., I'll be adding profligately.
I'd most likely spend more than 1k.
Must be auto/mech or high end quartz, swiss or german.
Not necessarily a diver.
I currently own 5 watches more than 500 msrp.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Unfortunately my dive watch budget for 2010 is going to be eaten up by a honeymoon and a dive course (in Borneo).

On the plus side, I'll have somewhere to take my dive watches in 2011. :-!

(apologies for ignoring your post format! :oops:)

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Hi Everyone.

Well do you?
;-)

Must be______________.

Happy New Year!

Aloha, John
Aloha John

Do I plan to buy any watches in 2010? Yes, I do!

More than one? I am confident that I'll be getting more than one this year, but nowhere near as many as previous years.

More or less than $1000? It's too soon to tell. Purchases likely will be of lesser price than previous years. For instance, I'm looking at a new $1,100 "entry level" Ball (non-diver) right now, rather than the $2,600 model that I probably would have jumped on a year ago.

Must be: Swiss, mechanical, 200m or greater, on bracelet, between 41 and 44mm, 21mm or bigger lug width, bracelet, sapphire crystal (prefer slight dome w/AR coating on at least the underside).

How many watches over $500? Classified. ;-) (but more than 20)

Volunteered unsolicited info: I still owe Steve at Little Treasury a new watch purchase. :-d

Rob

·
6,698 Posts
If all goes well 3 new watches this year, all Seiko.

2 divers SBDC007 "auto", SBBN015 "quartz" and 1 auto chronograph. Either the Ananta SRQ005 or a SBDS001 Flight Master. Right around $4,500-$5,500 depending on witch chrono I pick.

4 over $500 msrp.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is useful, actionable stuff. Mahalo!

Please keep 'em coming.

Enjoy that Honeymoon in Borneo! :-!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Well do you? - YES

Buy more than one this year? - Most Likely

Spend more than, or less than $1000? - Probably 1 over and 1 under

Must be - Swiss/Auto (but I wouldn't mind a hand crank either)/300M+/Bracelet

How many watches over $500 MSRP do you currently own? - 8

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Well do you? SURE

Buy more than one this year? Probably

Spend more than, or less than $1000? LESS

Must be______________. QUARTZ/SWISS/200+M

How many watches over $500 MSRP do you currently own? 1 now, just sold 4.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Well, I've already purchased 2 for the year and plan on buying a few more. So far I've only picked up a Seiko SKX031 modded by Harold and a Black Monster (gonna try it on a Hirsch Liberty this time). At some point this year I would like to pick up either a Doxa 1200t or an Omega Bond Quartz. One of those will be my big purchase for the year unless I win the lottery :-d

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Well I am not from NAM but luckily the economy is picking up in the rest of the planet.

Buy more than one this year? Definitive yes
More than, or less than $1000? per item? I would say both some under some over the grand mark.

Can be on rubber for the sub $1000 range but over a grand has to be a stellar product without a bracelet. Swiss Auto is a must but there may be a Spring drive in my horoscope.

Almost all are over $500 MSRP.

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
I will buy at least one watch in 2010....but I don't know what type, brand, country, movt., price, etc. etc.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
conducting some market research, John? ;-)

my answers:

if you plan to buy a watch in 2010.
Yes
Buy more than one this year? Yes
it's not about price, but likely more than $1000
Must be______________.
Automatic, preferably on a bracelet. I wouldn't rule out quartz however, depends on the design.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Well do you? ;-) YES

Buy more than one this year? If my wife and I arent having twins.

Spend more than, or less than $1000? See above anwser

Must be________Bad Ass, Bracelet option, Not the same old watch everyones copying, Bad Ass______.

How many watches over $500 MSRP do you currently own? Four

What do you have up your Aloha shirt sleeve Doc????

·
Registered
636 Posts
Sorry for not following the setup but...

Looking for a couple watches this year...First a new G-Shock...Maybe a 6900 or something...I say $100 - $150 depending on the exact model is what I'm looking to spend...

Next thing I'm looking to pick up is a Seiko diver of some sort...Not sure which model I'm getting just yet though...Not sure of price as I'm not sure of the model...

Next up will be the BaliHa'i from, well BaliHa'i...This is going to be my next purchase and I've already placed an order for a new Heroic18 strap for it...Looking at maybe $900 or so with shipping and such...

That's the only three I'm planning on making the jump on this year...I do plan on finally taking some diving lessons around May along with the wife...Prepping for the big Disney World Dive Quest thing we are planning on for December...So these lessons will cut into the budget a bit...

I did already purchase an Omega PO back on the 2nd of the month though so that counts too I guess...Even though I keep telling the wife that the new year starts after the PO since I was saving for that back in 09'...Of course she just gave me the head shake thing...

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Buying a new watch in 2010?
Yep. At least one. Possibly two. But no more than that.

As above

Likely more on one of them, likely less on the second

Must be______________.
Tough to answer, actually. 200M+ WR is probably one requirement a watch will have to meet. Beyond that if it's aesthetically pleasing and well constructed I'm game.

2 (in Canadian Dollars)

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
I hope I do get the chance to buy 1-3 nice watches this year.
I will be Benarus and/or BaliHai...depending on what is going to be available...either new or used here on WUS.
I guess I'm going to spend a bit more than 1000$.
Some of my watches are clearly above the 500$ mark..some are well below

cheers...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts