WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just received the Paul Newman earlier and it all seems fine. I was wondering what are the common complaints or defects that is seen in this watch?

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,169 Posts
Hi, I just received the Paul Newman earlier...
Don't believe you. We need to see photographs ;-) :-d

... it all seems fine. I was wondering what are the common complaints or defects that is seen in this watch?
...and it probably is fine. The only issue with mine is that I do my best to be careful with the screw in crown since it doesn't seem as positively or deeply threaded as my Vostoks, for example.

Others may have different things to report, but--as I said--mine's fine and over a year old now.]

Congrats! The Newman is a cool watch. :-!

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
I agree with Ron. Good watch, but handle it with care when operating it, especially when screwing in the crown. I have one for almost two years, with no problems at all.

Regards,

Martin

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was paranoid about the quality of this watch after researching the watch and reading about some problems. But I'm really enjoying the watch right now. Here is some pictures.

The only fault I can see is the second hand for the chronograph function is not perfectly centered, but that's ok since it's not really noticable

·
Registered
501 Posts
I think the least problems you will encounter in the movement.
I sold quite a few of them, The Ingersol gronograph.
Never ever had a problem with one of them.
And it IS one of the most beautiful chronographs movements around nowewadays.
And: It really is very strong!!!

Good luck with the watch!
I like it a lot.... :-!

regards,
RJ van Melle.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well, I just received my Panda from HK. Not good. There's a ~2mm scratch/crack on the crystal between the 150 and 160 marks on the tach, and every time I put it on my wrist the inside of the crystal fogs up.

·
Registered
269 Posts
All that aside, it does look awesome on a tropic.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The main issue is the crown; I had to change it on my Paul Newman.

Anyway a great looking watch.

Ciao

Engi

·
Registered
269 Posts
The main issue is the crown; I had to change it on my Paul Newman.

Anyway a great looking watch.

Ciao

Engi
Did you change it yourself? Does it take a readily-available tube?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you think changing the crown would extend this watch's life? I rarely wear it now because of how fragile the crown feels. Hand wound watch with screw down crown is such a bad idea.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've had mine for a while now and have never had any problems with factory-quality. Everything is aligned perfectly, and it keeps excellent time. The only issue is a small crack in the crystal, but that's my fault of course ;)

·
Registered
968 Posts
@Lester Burnham

Where did u get it? In alphausa is not available...Did you buy in ebay?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The only fault I can see is the second hand for the chronograph function is not perfectly centered
It's the same story with mine. Sometimes when being reset it centers perfectly and sometimes it just doesn't :-|

·
Registered
899 Posts
Re: Alpha Paul Newman Common Problems
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow25
The only fault I can see is the second hand for the chronograph function is not perfectly centered

It's the same story with mine. Sometimes when being reset it centers perfectly and sometimes it just doesn't :-|

that's not even just a chinese or alpha watch problem. i've seen that on several casios and seikos and others. i think it's just how steady the hands of the person assembling at the time are.:-d

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Do you think changing the crown would extend this watch's life? I rarely wear it now because of how fragile the crown feels. Hand wound watch with screw down crown is such a bad idea.
Now I can use the watch; the only problem is that the crown is a not signed one (I mean no alpha logo on it ...)

Ciao

Engi

1 - 18 of 18 Posts