WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't tell from the pictures I've seen, but it looks like they have solid endlinks? I'm debating these or the invicta 4793 po homage. The invicta is about the price of 3 alpha's, but the alpha is more the 42mm than the 45.5 and I'm not sure I can pull off such a large watch....

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
The Alpha PO does.

Pretty sure the SMP does as well.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
I can't tell from the pictures I've seen, but it looks like they have solid endlinks?
Yep, they both have.

Great watches, by the way b-)

I'm debating these or the invicta 4793 po homage. The invicta is about the price of 3 alpha's, but the alpha is more the 42mm than the 45.5 and I'm not sure I can pull off such a large watch....
The Alpha is 42mm, yes… it's not that big…
Compared with a Speedmaster Pro (42mm)

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
I also have both watches. I was amazed by the quality the Alpha PO and SMP bracelets have. I think they alone are worth the $40-50 the entire watch goes for.

I do not understand why the Alpha rolex homages have such bad bracelets, when the prove they can make quality with these.

And of course a few pictures:)

Regards,

Martin

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm having trouble deciding, I feel like the invicta is less likely to have any issues with the movement and also be higher quality, but I could just buy another movement to have a watchmaker put into the alpha if I had troubles couldn't I?

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
I'm having trouble deciding, I feel like the invicta is less likely to have any issues with the movement and also be higher quality, but I could just buy another movement to have a watchmaker put into the alpha if I had troubles couldn't I?
Unless the Invicta has a genuine Swiss ETA movement and costs several time what the Alpha does, you will not have a better quality watch and the potential for problems will likely be the same.
With Alpha, there is no problem getting them to service or repair the watch...with Invicta; well you need to do some reading about their customer serice or lack thereof :(

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I didnt think the Alpha PO bracelet I have is high quality at all. The tolerances between the links are either too tight or too loose, there are metal filings and grime between the links and the edges are very sharp. I took the movement out of that watch for fun and threw the rest away.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
I didnt think the Alpha PO bracelet I have is high quality at all. The tolerances between the links are either too tight or too loose, there are metal filings and grime between the links and the edges are very sharp. I took the movement out of that watch for fun and threw the rest away.
Apparently not all Alphas are created equal. The bracelets that come on the submariners and GMT models are excellent and worth almost as much as the the watch.

I have my Alpha GMT on an Invicta bracelet which is obviously from a high priced model as the fit and finish are way above the Alpha and most Seikos I've seen.

If you aren't comfortable buying a Chinese watch from a Chinese site, then get the Invicta but don't be surprised when you find out what's inside it.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Aw man! I'd given you a few bucks for the case & bezel!!! Did you literally or figuratively throw it away?

Cheers,
gigfy

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Apparently not all Alphas are created equal. The bracelets that come on the submariners and GMT models are excellent and worth almost as much as the the watch.

I have my Alpha GMT on an Invicta bracelet which is obviously from a high priced model as the fit and finish are way above the Alpha and most Seikos I've seen.

If you aren't comfortable buying a Chinese watch from a Chinese site, then get the Invicta but don't be surprised when you find out what's inside it.
So yes to original poster, Alphas are not created equal. You can always send them back but i couldn't be bothered to pay for shipping and wait weeks for a return.
I think I threw it away, i can't remember what I actually did with it. The bezel was not really worth anything since it didn't turn correctly and the pearl fell out :)

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
I didnt think the Alpha PO bracelet I have is high quality at all. The tolerances between the links are either too tight or too loose, there are metal filings and grime between the links and the edges are very sharp.
Damn :think:
Quality is really a subjective thing... :think:

for me, they're nearly in the same league as Omega bracelets... :think:

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
So yes to original poster, Alphas are not created equal. You can always send them back but i couldn't be bothered to pay for shipping and wait weeks for a return.
I think I threw it away, i can't remember what I actually did with it. The bezel was not really worth anything since it didn't turn correctly and the pearl fell out :)
Are you sure you ever had one? Your story keeps changing...
I took the movement out of that watch for fun and threw the rest away.
I've had over three hundred watches and I remember where each and everyone has gone.

Throwing away a watch even if it was cheap is wasteful and demonstrates a lack of money sense :-( With people continuously looking for parts, you could probably have recouped your loss by selling it off in pieces.

·
Registered
415 Posts
It looks like the PO has real SELs, on some Alphas it looks in pictures as though it's an SEL, but in reality it's still a hollow endlink that just happens to be a little thicker.

Alpha bracelets are worth their price in metal, but the fit leaves a lot to be desired. The Alphas I've received all had bracelets with oil grime between links or on links, and the tolerance between some links were far too tight, resulting in links that didn't pivot smoothly. The screws for the removable links had bad tolerances as well, most were difficult to unscrew and screw in and the screw slots were uneven, resulting in me having to use different screwdriver sizes to tackle the screws. For the Daytona homages that have bracelets with polished center links, I've had issues with the spring bar within the clasp becoming dislodged because the drilled holes just weren't deep enough inside the clasp.

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
How long has the Alpha PO been available for sale? I wonder if the quality changes with each production run (assuming there has been more than one).

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Are you sure you ever had one? Your story keeps changing...

I've had over three hundred watches and I remember where each and everyone has gone.

Throwing away a watch even if it was cheap is wasteful and demonstrates a lack of money sense :-( With people continuously looking for parts, you could probably have recouped your loss by selling it off in pieces.
Again, I think I threw it away. Sorry if I offended you if you're an Alpha fan. It was the Planet Ocean "homage" with a green bezel.

Alphas are so cheap you can just order a new watch from them if you need parts. I just thought it was a piece of junk, first thing I actually noticed about the watch was the foggy crystal and crooked 12 hour marker. I don't keep junk lying around, i throw it away.

The Voow Submariner I found on ebay are far better quality in my experience.

I disagree with the poster that said the PO doesn't have sold end links. The one I had definitely had SEL.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
It looks like the PO has real SELs, on some Alphas it looks in pictures as though it's an SEL, but in reality it's still a hollow endlink that just happens to be a little thicker.
Hi Elsydeon,

Well, not on mine :think:
They're solid end links for sure, believe me, photos or not.

This is plain solid.

I bought an aftermarket folded bracelet for my Tauchmeister, so I can compare :think: even the weight is a complete different story… Alpha's bracelets weights a Ton in comparison :)

Could you post pictures of what you describe ?

Alpha bracelets are worth their price in metal, but the fit leaves a lot to be desired. The Alphas I've received all had bracelets with oil grime between links or on links, and the tolerance between some links were far too tight, resulting in links that didn't pivot smoothly. The screws for the removable links had bad tolerances as well, most were difficult to unscrew and screw in and the screw slots were uneven, resulting in me having to use different screwdrive sizes to tackle the screws. For the Daytona homages that have bracelets with polished center links, I've had issues with the spring bar within the clasp becoming dislodged because the drilled holes just weren't deep enough inside the clasp.
Sorry to hear that. Again, mine was clean :think:

Well, the clasp and folded steel is the weak part, but the links are solid as they can be ;-) and everything is clean…

Once again, could you show us pictures ? It's easier to figure things out…

Take care :)

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
That Alpha Chronograph you just posted (Paul Newman? I cant remember the model) actually doesn't have solid end links.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
That Alpha Chronograph you just posted (Paul Newman? I cant remember the model) actually doesn't have solid end links.
True. The Daytona (paul newman) models have a different and inferior bracelet. The Submariner and Seamaster/PO models appear to have better bracelets with SELs and a proper clasp.

I however didn't like any of the Alpha bracelets, as I couldn't get it to fit nicely around my wrist. Not enough fine-tuning possibility there.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Again, I think I threw it away. Sorry if I offended you if you're an Alpha fan. It was the Planet Ocean "homage" with a green bezel.

Alphas are so cheap you can just order a new watch from them if you need parts. I just thought it was a piece of junk, first thing I actually noticed about the watch was the foggy crystal and crooked 12 hour marker. I don't keep junk lying around, i throw it away.

The Voow Submariner I found on ebay are far better quality in my experience.

I disagree with the poster that said the PO doesn't have sold end links. The one I had definitely had SEL.
No, not offended at all :)
Sure I'm an Alpha fan but I'm also a realist. There have been many runs of watches from Alpha and most have been average to good quality with regard to finish. Unfortunately, the lowest bidder usually gets the Alpha order and QC isn't always the best or sometimes none at all :-(

I've never thrown away a watch or even parts of one...except a Feiko that I didn't really throw away; I buried it :-!

For what it's worth, I've seen several posts on other forums complaining of the fog on the inside of the crystal...Seikos, Citizens and even a real Omega. Those are not throw away watches ;-)

Next time you get a junk watch; please don't throw it away, send it to me; I'll gladly pay the postage :-!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
No, not offended at all :)
Sure I'm an Alpha fan but I'm also a realist. There have been many runs of watches from Alpha and most have been average to good quality with regard to finish. Unfortunately, the lowest bidder usually gets the Alpha order and QC isn't always the best or sometimes none at all :-(

I've never thrown away a watch or even parts of one...except a Feiko that I didn't really throw away; I buried it :-!

For what it's worth, I've seen several posts on other forums complaining of the fog on the inside of the crystal...Seikos, Citizens and even a real Omega. Those are not throw away watches ;-)

Next time you get a junk watch; please don't throw it away, send it to me; I'll gladly pay the postage :-!
I was laughing out loud at the thought you burying the Feiko.

Very well next time i get a junker I will send it to you :-d

1 - 20 of 27 Posts