WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with these in actual diving or have pressure tested one ?

·
Registered
665 Posts
I thought Alpha's were nominally water resistant, i.e. 30m, rather than diving depths?

Tom

·
Registered
65 Posts
It is my understanding that Alphas are not tested for water resistance, although I may be wrong. I was told a while back that they are okay to be worn during handwashing and rain.

Most chinese watches are also pretty unreliable even with depth indication of up to 100m.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Last Christmas I gave a friend of mine an Alpha Daytona. He mentioned to me recently, that he wears it when he goes swimming! I'm amazed that it survived being dunked into water even once, let alone being used when swimming!

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
I thought Alpha's were nominally water resistant, i.e. 30m, rather than diving depths?
That is correct. That said, the main thing keeping them from being water resistant are their gaskets, which are generally really cheap. I have seen someone simply replace the caseback and crown gaskets (on a Grenade model), and the thing pressure tested easily to 200m. After replacing the gaskets, he took it diving several times with no problems. That said this one of the few Alpha models that use miyota movements, which are very good solid quality. I can't really speak for the overall long term movement quality of other movements used by Alpha, nor do I think I would trust my life to a watch that wasn't specifically designed for diving. The gasket swap will easily make the watch a reliable swimming companion though.

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
I had to remind my son that even though his Alpha "Yachtmaster" looks like a diver, he can't wear it swimming! I wonder though, if I replaced the gaskets like Gabe mentioned... :think:
He usually wears his Citizen 'Dolphin' auto or his yellow Kronos quartz for swimming. Both have taken some pretty hard knocks and run fine.

I am getting a better track record with Alpha, the last two Chinese movement models have been good along with my Daytona. I really like the "Grenade" except for the hands, some sword style hands would look great.

Cheers,
Griff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts