·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've added the Alpha site
http://www.alpha-watch.com/company.php

To our list of industry links on the Articles sub-forum
https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=2745#post2745

And for the curious, below is a bit of a spotter's guide to the movements currently used by Alpha. Most of these watches have glass caseback, and some have model codes that suggest movement origins e.g. HZ = Hangzhou

Hangzhou 2198 (based on Seiko design)

Hangzhou 2296 (based on Seiko design)

Hangzhou (calibre unknown, based on Seiko design)

Shanghai B 35 jewel

Shanghai B 23 jewel (maybe Guangzhou assembled?)

Shanghai B 23 jewel (maybe Guangzhou assembled?)

possibly Shanghai (calibre unknown) or Sea-Gull ST25

presumed Sea-Gull ST6 (i.e. small movement) based on reviews

presumed Sea-Gull ST6 based on size

Sea-Gull ST16

Sea-Gull ST16

presumed ST16 based on reviews

Sea-Gull ST16

presumed Sea-Gull ST16 or ST17 based on reviews

Sea-Gull ST19

Sea-Gull ST22

Miyota 8205

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Thanks Chascomm. I guess many Sea-gull movements are housed in various Western brands watches. I hope the curent trend of thick,big watches will return to 1950's simple, elegant styles so that those ST5 movements can be used for some gold, titanium watches. :-D

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have two Alpha watches and am quite happy with them, they both have Seagull movements and the caliber number number is listed on the case back, one of them is very nicely decorated with Geneva stripes. I like the fact that they are not masquerading as anything other than what they are - good chinese watches with good chinese movements, nothing hidden, it's all up front. jeff

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thanks Chascomm. I guess many Sea-gull movements are housed in various Western brands watches. I hope the curent trend of thick,big watches will return to 1950's simple, elegant styles so that those ST5 movements can be used for some gold, titanium watches. :-D
Is there a model of the picture you attached in blue?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the post ! It just makes me say that... I'll never buy an Alpha !!!

In the list, I think the prize of the worst copy would go to the "da vinci like", with the fake year counter...

Followed closely bt the Ferrara look-like : "open hearts" are almost over, but not dead yet...

I think that the development of chinese watch industry, especially in terms of quality, will only be effective when clearly recognizeable chinese brands get visible, offering proprietary designs, instead of the usual "almost fakes"...

BB

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Sea-Gull Chinese Wind is pretty proprietary.
Well, I did it. I clicked on the Alpha site, and I bought.:roll:
It's a terrible thing I've done.:oops:
I went for the one that sort-of looks like a Panerai:-X
How am I going to keep this from the little woman?O|
Oh...I'm cooked!

later,
Dave

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Well, I did it. I clicked on the Alpha site, and I bought.:roll:
It's a terrible thing I've done.:oops:
I went for the one that sort-of looks like a Panerai:-X
How am I going to keep this from the little woman?O|
Oh...I'm cooked!

later,
Dave
Don't worry, it's not a bad Watch. I have one myself.

OK, it's not a Panerai, but look how much you have saved.:-!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
You're right, Radio:) Maybe I should buy something else with the money I saved:-D Kidding...I think.
Hey thanks for the message!
regards,
Dave
Seriously, it's a really solidly made piece, and well finished. I was quite surprised when I received mine. It gains 1 minute in 2 weeks, so not bad at all.

I think it's a real bargain. :gold

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The movements have different rotor.
The plate with the Alpha logo is just a thin foil stuck to the back of the rotor. I've seen the same thing used on a ST16 in a fake Patek. Also I would expect that, where rotors of different designs may be interchangeable between calibres, the OEM manufacturer may use a different rotor to Sea-Gull for aesthetic reasons.

The other possibility if it is not a ST25 is a similar open-heart made by Shanghai. There's another, often used by Million Smart, possibly made by Liaoning factory (not really sure), but it is different in that the balance sub-assembly is not visible from the back.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts