WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’m just wondering if the Alpina 598 is an in-house movement, which I think it was, in which case what the 3797 number refers to please? Have got somewhere on Google with the former, but nowhere with 3797?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any chance that's the last four digits of the serial number, maybe matching on the case back?
3797 are the last four digits of the movement serial number - not likely to catch the case.

Now I cant be 100% certain but I believe the Alpina 598 is an in-house' Alpina movement. Im pretty sure its a center seconds version of the 592 which was definitely an Alpina Product. The 592 was used as a school (teaching) calibre as it was robust, precise, reliable and pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi Oli,

,I’m just wondering if the Alpina 598 is an in-house movement, which I think it was,
Pretty complicated, depends what in-house means. I dropped some words about Alpina here:
It was rather an association of many watch-related firms and persons, than a single manufacturer. And Straub & Co. in Bienne (Biel), the maker of the Alpina 598, was one of the leading members. Thus Straub movements are usually regarded as Alpina in-house movements, although Straub used them also for his own less known watch brand Perla, and even sold some to watch manufacturers outside the Alpina group.

Moreover Straub registered the brand Alpina for his movements, and you could even meet an Alpina-signed movement in a watch that has noting to do with the Alpina association.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

1 - 5 of 5 Posts