WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, that itch is back and I need to scratch it with a auto chrono diver. I have the other hand scratching another itch with an Oris Small Seconds Blue but thats another story.

I have my eye on auto chrono divers that look like the subject mentioned Alpina or Certina.

Alpina:

ALPINA_Extreme_DIVER_300_Chronograph_AUTO_006.jpg

Certina:

81_certina_cm.jpg

Really like the look of this style diver. Which would you choose and why? Did I miss any others that look like this within the same approx price category? Anyone out there own the extreme diver, thoughts on build quality? In terms of brand recognition, I think they are about the same in that most non WIS probably have never heard of them. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I like the Alpina but not the date window. The Perrelet Seacraft may cost a little more on the gray market but worth considering.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the Alpina but not the date window. The Perrelet Seacraft may cost a little more on the gray market but worth considering.
Thanks Sea0bass, the Perrelet definitely looks like a nice piece albeit not in my sweet spot in terms of size (44mm).

Here's a pic I found:

PERRELET_Seacraft_Chrono_01.jpg

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just saw that one of the cheesy Baldwin brothers is an ambassador for Alpina, definite strike against them

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For me, Alpina all the way. 300m without screw-down pushers? Cool! It's super legible, too.
Actually I didn't know that, that is a cool feature. I have screw down pushers on another piece and for that very reason don't use the chrono.

I like them both but now I'm leaning toward the Alpina a bit, not sure I total feel the Rolex sub vibe the Certina still has going on.

I have no idea about the price of the Alpina though or even where I can buy it.

·
Premium Member
8,018 Posts
When I see Alpina I think, "Why a Baldwin?" For me, that Perrelet is way too busy.

I would normally say the Certina. I like the looks of it. But this Alpina, it looks tool and I really like the subdued design of the pushers. This would be hard descision.

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
I would normally say certina but in this case alpina. The certina looks like the ironman that Rhodey steals and the army has all the weapons attached to it, just looks like an afterthought.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I own the Extreme Diver and am very happy with it. Rugged watch that I'm not afraid to wear to the pool/beach and it looks great. See-through case back is a bonus and the lume is fantastic.

Purchased on a bracelet, but put an isofrane on to complement the rubber-covered crown and overall look. The chrono looks a tad thicker than mine but looks very sharp and proportionate with the added dials.

I've heard nothing but good things about these watches.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I own the Extreme Diver and am very happy with it. Rugged watch that I'm not afraid to wear to the pool/beach and it looks great. See-through case back is a bonus and the lume is fantastic.

Purchased on a bracelet, but put an isofrane on to complement the rubber-covered crown and overall look. The chrono looks a tad thicker than mine but looks very sharp and proportionate with the added dials.

I've heard nothing but good things about these watches.
The 3 hand version is sweet too, rugged and unique case design. Great look on the isofrane.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Well,appearance wise there are something on those three watches
For the alpina,the three-date is somewhat annoying (for me) but I like the 300 m WR and non screw down pusher
The certina looks nice,but white date wheel on black dial? And is that a HE valve on 10 o clock?
The perellet have a bit of PO vibe,maybe because of the bezel,but the chrono looks too busy,kinda reminds me of Pam slytech chrono where there are too many things going on

Of those three,based only on appearance,I like the alpina best and certina second

Another alternative might be Seiko SSC solar diver,have seen it in person and kinda like it but it's not an auto

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
Both are very smart but I too dislike open date windows. A lot. IF I KNOW THE DATE TODAY I CAN FRICKING WORK OUT THE DATE YESTERDAY AND TOMORROW!

Is the Alpina in house or a 7750?

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Both are very smart but I too dislike open date windows. A lot. IF I KNOW THE DATE TODAY I CAN FRICKING WORK OUT THE DATE YESTERDAY AND TOMORROW!

Looks like a variation of the 7750, taken from Alpina's website:

AL-725 AUTOMATIC CHRONOGRAPH
The AL-725 is a variation on the well-known Valjoux 7750 chronograph movement, in which the small second hand has been removed to create a vertical and easy-to-read automatic chronograph. A beautiful decoration completes this movement.

I read somewhere that the power reserve was something like 46 hours, seems quite good for an auto chrono

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well,appearance wise there are something on those three watches
For the alpina,the three-date is somewhat annoying (for me) but I like the 300 m WR and non screw down pusher
The certina looks nice,but white date wheel on black dial? And is that a HE valve on 10 o clock?
The perellet have a bit of PO vibe,maybe because of the bezel,but the chrono looks too busy,kinda reminds me of Pam slytech chrono where there are too many things going on

Of those three,based only on appearance,I like the alpina best and certina second

Another alternative might be Seiko SSC solar diver,have seen it in person and kinda like it but it's not an auto
SSC019P (pepsi bezel) has been a piece I had my eye on for a while, good value for a solar chrono at about $300+ USD. Cannot compete with these auto chronos and would serve a different purpose if i picked one up

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Alpina

·
Premium Member
36,286 Posts
Yup.

I have owned both and the Alpina is of better quality IMHO. However, it is not a small case-size watch by any means, just so you know.

·
Registered
250 Posts

What's with people having such a problem getting their head's around this date window? This is for legibility for those with less than 20/20 vision who don't want to put their reading glasses on whenever they want to read the date. As you age, vision deteriorates and you often need more light. Most dates are so small they're useless. Here we have some manufacturers who are trying to get around that without going to the expense of installing a big date. Gee, is that a 3 or an 8 I'm looking at? Well if I can see the general shape of the 2 and 4 after it then, hey, I can read the FRICKING date!

Another reason my vote goes to the Alpina is because it has an hour totalizer. In most cases a two subdial chrono omits the hour totalizer and opts for a sub-seconds dial. The watch already has a seconds dial so why not just activate the chrono if you really want to see the seconds sweep continuously instead of replacing the hour subdial with a seconds subdial? Not having the hour totalizer greatly reduces the function of a chrono.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
I think the Alpina is the better watch, perhaps by far. But I enjoy the bold look of the Certina.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts