WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I've been reading about the Alpinist and the Spirit lines of Seikos. I'm just curious as the difference in the lines. From what I have read, they have the same movement. Is the Alpinist more of a sporty line? I also have seen that it is antimagnetic. I'm just curious. Thanks for the help!

nette

V

·
0 Posts
The Alpinist SARB sport the same 6R15 movement as the Spirit SCVS series. It's an upgraded version of the 7s26 movement that powers the infamous Seiko 5. Hackable, hand windable, and accurate to less than 10s p/d error out of the box, usually.

The Alpinist costs more than the Spirit because:

1. the case and bracelet are beefier. Movement is shielded magnetically, crystal is thicker. WR is increased.

2. Finishing is upped somewhat with the applied markers, finer minute marks, lume etc.

3. The case is also complicated by a inner rotating compass bezel to help tell directions with the aid of the sun.

Fine watches for the money both. Just a question of intended application and personal taste.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I wouldn't say the 7s26 is infamous, but it really comes down to application like Vandice has said. The spirit line is a dressier watch that has a 100m resistance rating while the Alpinist has a 200m rating. I'd also venture a guess that the alpinist is a larger watch. Both are very nice and use a higher grade movement than many lower end Seiko's. Both would make a fine addition to a collection.

V

·
0 Posts
It's the Seiko 5 that's infamous, mux. :))

But I dare say the 7s26 is a pivotal development that brought an affordable, auto wind movement to the public at large. It's not easy to bring a complete watch to the market that costs less than a ETA movement at retail prices.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for clearing that up for my guys! For some reason I just had to know. I'm finally looking into Seikos and so now I need some education on them. :thanks

nette

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Nette,

As you delve deeper into watches it will probably become appearant at some time that Seiko makes a great watch. They also make watches at virtually every price range from $50-2000+. While I've only delt with their 50-200 (actual market value not retail) price range, Seiko's vs. equally priced Swiss products, Seiko wins out. I'd venture to say as well that that may be the case in more price ranges but I don't know that. I've read some people who say they don't really care how well something is made if it doesn't say Swiss Made on the dial it doesn't matter. I believe it was the thread discussing what Swiss watch makers were going to do now that ETA is changing how they source movements and it was brought up that the possibility is out there that people could use higher end Seiko movements. Some were appaled and said it would be like buying a Mercedes with a Toyota engine, saying it wouldn't work. Anyway, good luck with your collecting.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I haven't read anything that said the Alpinist was more anti-magnetic than your average Seiko, but would like to know if that is true. The size and specs of that watch have interested me, not the look however. I went with the Sumo instead to get the same movement and it is a good choose for a sporty watch.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
muxinick- As I read on, and learn more I am getting over that very bias about only owning swiss made products. Right now I am really loving my Orange Monster, and a SS Samurai is on its way. I was looking for a big date watch, but then I got sidetracked by a couple of Seiko dive watches, and a russian watch. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tell me about it!! :) I just keep discovering more watches.

·
CMW & Sales Moderator
5,498 Posts
Tell me about it.... I was going along happy as could be trying to collect $10 Shanghai's then $20 HMT's then $30 Vostok's then $40 Alpha's and then got side tracked with mechanical/auto chronographs. And then I stumbled upon the timeless Seiko diver...... I've also had a Seiko Spirit SCVS003 in my sights for a while now. I need to prioritize. So many watches to buy.... So little time.... Cheers, gigfy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts