WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Amphibias have a really big variety on casebacks appart from the basic one from Vostok (Antarticka, Gagarin, Scuba Dude, Neptune, Orca, etc) and several aftermarket ones. The same doesn't happen with handwinding Komandirskies. Modern ones seems to have only the double headed eagle caseback. Vintage dirskies usually have either a plain caseback or the ray pattern caseback. Anyone knows about aftermarket casebacks for the modern handwinding Komandirskies? A bit of variety for the modern ones could be nice. I mean Komandirskie series 21, 43, 53 and 81.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I am not an expert on all the different case backs but here is one you are probably not aware of.
It is the only exhibition case back for Komanderskies I know of.
Remember though you decrease the water resistance of the watch. Do not go swimming or diving with this case back.
I have not ever tested water resistance but it is OK in the rain.

Domed Underlayed, Sternkreuz U

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I am not a fan of exhibition casebacks. However the 2414A looks ok with the caseback unlike most of the automatics I have with it.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I am not an expert on all the different case backs but here is one you are probably not aware of.
It is the only exhibition case back for Komanderskies I know of.
Remember though you decrease the water resistance of the watch. Do not go swimming or diving with this case back.
I have not ever tested water resistance but it is OK in the rain.

Domed Underlayed, Sternkreuz U
Awesome, I just ordered one to try it.

If the gasket was in place why would it be any less waterproof than the original ?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
If the gasket was in place why would it be any less waterproof than the original ?
It is glass and therefore unable to withstand the same water pressure as the steel caseback.
I assume also that it cannot be clamped down as tightly as the steel caseback because the lip may break.

Perhaps James can add more info. to this.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The crystals are plastic and very thin they do not have the same tight fit or locating nubs to secure it as the original case back does, also, do not crank the case back ring down GORILLA TIGHT!
I would use about 20% less force.
As I have said I have not tested one in a chamber, for all I know they could have a good water resistance, I do not know? but I do know from personal experience living here in Florida that it can handle our monsoon like amounts of rain.
So you know Bsw_sc these just drop right in with no fussing, but the ones for the amphibia's have to be sanded slightly to make fit, only takes a few minutes.
best regards, James.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Here is part# for the Anfibia plastic crystal
Rectangle Font Packaging and labeling Cuisine Paper product

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
James,
How wide is the lip ?
Do you have photos of an uninstalled crystal ?
What is the thickness of the plastic itself?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
No I do not, maroimart may have more info on these crystals as he was the one who turned me on to these.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Well I have one coming for a Komandirskie. Noted on not tightening too much, makes sense it could crack/break it if it’s glass. Not tightening too much would definitely reduce water resistance. It would be interesting to see how they actually hold up in a water test though

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Well I have one coming for a Komandirskie. Noted on not tightening too much, makes sense it could crack/break it if it’s glass. Not tightening too much would definitely reduce water resistance. It would be interesting to see how they actually hold up in a water test though
You can crank them down fairly well just not as much as a steel one. It's only plastic.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
My clear case back for the Komandirskie arrived today, that was super fast shipping being that it was coming from UK... I enjoy seeing my mechanical movements so I'm happy with getting this. I won't go swimming in this old girl anyway so I am not worried about any loss of water resistance but I was able to really get this thing cranked down tight with no cracks. The movement here is pretty plain but still worth looking at. She keeps good time

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Congrats Bsw_sc , it looks very nice and these clear casebacks are a alternitive to the metal ones
and at $5.00 a pop are economical as well. (y)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts