WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start with saying that I have been eyeing an Aquis for myself for a while, felt that I am ready for a purchase, went to an AD, tried it on and totally unexpectedly I was so disappointed.
I have two major problems with the watch.

1. Bezel action is actually ok however it has crazy backplay, absolutely not something that you'd expect from a watch of this price range. It was so bad that I would put it on a par with dirt cheap Invictas or maybe lower end Seikos.

2. The bracelet feels so light. That by itself is not a problem, but the friction of the links creates somewhat cheap feeling... or at least cheaper than you’d expect. In addition it wiggles significantly.

My first thought was maybe that one was defective and tried on another Aquis at another AD with the same result.

I know that this is prevailingly Oris love forum and watch enthusiasts that have been around awhile praise this watch for the build quality so much but now I honestly cannot share those feelings. I was expecting Aquis being quite expensive for a sellita (or ETA) based diver to be on a completely different level.

Is there anyone else who feels the same way?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I can't comment on the bracelet because mine is on a rubber strap, but the bezel on my Aquis doesn't have any backplay.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Posting your observations about a watch is welcome on any forum, although asking for Oris fans to agree with you on an Oris forum is probably not going to get many responses.

We all react to watches differently. I owned a Gen 1 Aquis and the bezel action was crisp and solid with not a hint of back-play. Same with Gen 2s that I have inspected in a jewelry store. As for the bracelet, the Gen 1 Aquis had one of the absolute best in the business. The Gen 2 links have been reduced in thickness but to call it cheap? That is certainly your prerogative to think so. Again, my experience is different. Lighter, yes. Cheap? I can't see how. Go try on an OEM Seiko SXK007 jubilee bracelet if you want to feel what cheap and light (but very comfortable) feels like.

I think more likely is that you experienced what many of us watch enthusiasts do: overheated expectations. Many a time I've convinced myself after hours of research and repeated viewing of breathless Youtube video reviews extolling the virtues of a watch that I'm interested that it is the be-all, end-all of watches. Only after seeing it the metal did I realize that I had put the watch so far up on a pedestal that there was no way it could realistically meet those lofty expectations. The Tudor Black Bay is the one that sticks out the most to me -- I was severely disappointed when I actually put it on my wrist.

Is the Aquis for you? Maybe not. I can't explain why you experienced two examples with sloppy bezel action. As Sticky has written above and I think nearly everyone who regularly posts on this forum will agree with, our experience is different. Oris makes a well-crafted mid-tier watch. They aren't the best or most amazing timepieces in the world, but they are worth their asking price and are a cut above from the entry-level Swiss watches.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I don't have any of those issues you've listed with my Aquis. The bezel does have an incredibly small amount of play, but it's better than any of the Citizen and Seiko dive watches in my house. The bracelet links are very smooth and I'm not sure how to define bracelet wiggle. Now granted, I've never compared it to say, a Submariner but why would I? A Sub is 4x the price.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Well while I do think bezel assembly is something that can be a watch to watch issue (in the sense that most will be well installed but one or two can slip through) I can't imagine the bracelet issue since that comes down to manufacturing. I have always found Oris bracelets, esp the Aquis bracelet to be on par with the best from other companies like Breitling and perhaps even better made than some Omegas. I'm curious what your comparisons are for the bracelet?

Sorry you didn't like it. But I understand posting here since the Oris fans are always expounding how they have the quality of watches that cost 2 or 3 times more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Let me start with saying that I have been eyeing an Aquis for myself for a while, felt that I am ready for a purchase, went to an AD, tried it on and totally unexpectedly I was so disappointed.
I have two major problems with the watch.

1. Bezel action is actually ok however it has crazy backplay, absolutely not something that you'd expect from a watch of this price range. It was so bad that I would put it on a par with dirt cheap Invictas or maybe lower end Seikos.

2. The bracelet feels so light. That by itself is not a problem, but the friction of the links creates somewhat cheap feeling... or at least cheaper than you’d expect. In addition it wiggles significantly.

My first thought was maybe that one was defective and tried on another Aquis at another AD with the same result.

I know that this is prevailingly Oris love forum and watch enthusiasts that have been around awhile praise this watch for the build quality so much but now I honestly cannot share those feelings. I was expecting Aquis being quite expensive for a sellita (or ETA) based diver to be on a completely different level.

Is there anyone else who feels the same way?
Yup, a little disappointed with the bezel myself. It's...not as smooth as I would like it to be. I've own quite a few dive watches and the bezel action left a lot to be desired. Also, there were some QC issues. I want to say, "For the money, I can't complain," but I am complaining anyway, because I have Seiko divers that don't have this issue.

I can't comment on the bracelet, as I bought it with a rubber strap to keep it low-key when I travel overseas. Bracelets tend to be too blingy if you want to stay under the radar.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I don’t recognise these issues as regards my Aquis. I also own a non date Sub and would say the Aquis is not far off Rolex quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Completely the opposite of mine, my bezel pretty spot on with no backplay and the bracelet quality is pretty heavy, solid and very comfortable oh and no wiggles

Maybe both of them were defective

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Although the bracelet feel can be quite subjective, the bezel action can be judged by more defined indicators, one of which is it's play. I have further researched the topic and so far the conclusions are:

The bezel action has changed in newer 2017 version. Some say the older one is nicer, the others say the exact opposite. Which brings us to QC question.
Once again, I have read quite many times on other threads as well that it's hit and miss with the bezel action and you should go and try another piece if one felt not right.
I have tried the newer version twice at different AD's and now I am looking forward to finding the older model.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Depends how important bezel action is to you. They made the bezel easier to grip, the action is quite deliberate and it will not be moved accidentally, but I will admit the bezel action on my Seiko divers feels superior in both feel and sound. The Oris bezel does somewhat remind me of the Invicta 8926 actually, sounds and feels snappy like a rough zip-tie vs a smooth 120 tooth ratchet, though no back play here unless you move it forward (but not enough to make it click) and pull back - when pulled back it will stop exactly on the mark and go no further back. Fortunately, I'm not a diver and for me the bezel is mostly ornamental so I can forgive it for not being absolutely amazing.

That said, the rest of the watch is quality. It's not perfect (proprietary screws and lugs irk me), but neither is a Rolex Sub (Seiko still has better lume on an entry level diver).

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Hmm on my aquis the bezel action is crisp and the bracelet is the best i ever have, bracelet is thinner than older model, but doesn't look and feel cheap whatsoever, in fact it is very comfortable and I love how it tapers.

I believe you tried on defective watch or a mishandled/abused sample, please try other piece or from different store.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Regarding the bracelet, maybe it was a titanium bracelet? Consider a rubber strap if it bugs you. I own several Rolexes, Breitlings, omegas and the Oris watches stay in my collection.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
839 Posts
I def didn't have any of these issues when I still had my Aquis...
The bezel action was very positive with minimal play---not as tight as a Blancpain or Rolex/Tudor, but def much better than many Seiko divers, or even my Oris 65.
The bracelet was too solid & heavy, which was why I sold the watch---I felt like I was wearing a tank.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have two first-generation Aquis wristwatches which have no 'back play' in bezels. I cannot budge either to rotate in the wrong direction. The 2014 bracelet is silent, smooth-moving, and comfortable.
no complaints
Someday I'll buy a current-generation steel or titanium Aquis which has a slimmer, lighter bracelet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts