WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All. I have a Hamilton Pan Europ LE and have fallen hopelessly in love with it. In fact, I have yet to see a watch, no matter the price point, that I like better. I am aiming to purchase the black faced or silver faced version. I need a watch to wear while enjoying my morning ritual (walking the dog, exercising and such) that can be paired with a rubber strap. I don't want to wear my Pan Europ doing such things since it has a beautiful leather strap that I simply don't want to take off. My husband is convinced I will find a watch that I like just as much out there if I simply keep an open mind. I don't want to spend more than $1,000 - $1,300.

I only like sporty chronographs and I am now a sucker for a cushion case and vintage look. Any ideas? I'd appreciate it.

PS: I like the Oris Chronoris Grand Prix, but it is a bit expensive.:-(

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My husband would REALLY like this one...especially since it is ceramic. I hadn't thought of that. I tend to be VERY hard on my watches. I tend to be a bit clumsy, which makes my husband cringe when he hears me ding my watch. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Buy a silver or black Pan Europ and find a nice aftermarket mesh for it to change the look from your LE even further. Shouldn't have to stretch your budget much. Given how much you love the LE, I suspect anything less than a Pan-Europ is going to feel like settling, and be less than satisfying in the long run. Your budget gets you close enough to try to make it happen. Unlike the LE, the silver and black are in plentiful supply, so finding one at the right price should only be a matter of shopping around.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've enjoyed all the suggestions, but so far I am still stuck on the Pan Europ. I think it will take one spectacular watch to change my mind. I also would rather go a bit up on the price point rather than down.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Excuse my hijack, but isn't the Pan Europ 45mm in diameter? Does it wear smaller or is it just big?
It definitely wears smaller. The cushion shape of the case and the super short lugs are the main reasons why. Wears smaller on my wrist than my 44mm Steinhart Chrono.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya know ya wanna....

Oh yes I do! This picture has been the background on my lap top for around a week. I feel quite fortunate to own my dream watch (my husband's pocket book is quite fortunate as well) and soon plan on owning it's siblings :) I just can't get enough of it! Who knows, maybe there is something out there that I would like as much....I just have a hard time imagining so.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Not a cushion but what about Epos Original 3415? It's availabe with black dial too. Might be hard to find and pricy though...

Or what about Steinhart Marine Chronograph? Available with grey, black and cream dials. Check out also Steinhart Apollon Chronograph.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Verdict: YES! I REALLY liked the look of the Pan Europ when I saw it in person (pictures on the web don't do it justice....at all..) and then when I tried it on -BANG! I was hooked. I enjoy the look of a heavy, sporty chronograph, but a lot of them are just too big. The lugs hang over my wrist and it just doesn't look right. With the Pan Europ, it is not a problem at all. I have even gotten compliments on how well it fits on my wrist, which are very small.

I highly suggest you try one on. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the fit. :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not a cushion but what about Epos Original 3415? It's availabe with black dial too. Might be hard to find and pricy though...

Or what about Steinhart Marine Chronograph? Available with grey, black and cream dials. Check out also Steinhart Apollon Chronograph.
I have seen this (blue face) watch before, and have liked it a lot. It would definitely be on my list...after I get another Pan Europ.... :)

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Now I want one too...
Best of the Hamilton lineup, IMO - and I say this as a fan of the brand and past owner of multiple examples - the Pan-Europ really impresses a solid notch above the rest. It doesn't look or feel at all out of place in the company of my far more expensive contemporary Omegas.

Now on the size issue, let me hasten to add that it is by no means a small watch - just that it wears smaller than what you might expect of a 45mm piece.

My only criticism of the silver and black dial versions is that the standard black straps are just ho-hum in terms of quality. Not bad - just not in the league of the very well executed tan rally-style calfskin / deployant combo that comes with the blue dial LE. But we all know that a strap is the easist thing to upgrade.

Roger

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought I would just reply to my own thread and say....WOOOOHOOOO! Just purchased the Hamilton Pan Europ! Silver Dial! I tried on the black dial first and was not excited, and in fact a bit disappointed. I wanted to love it. My husband prefers that one over the silver. Then I saw the silver dial, at Macy's of all places (they were charging the MSRP of over $1,900!!! I called AD after AD and they were anywhere from $1,400-$1,800) and tried it on. It sang to me instantly. It beckoned me to take it home. However, I was smart and DID NOT buy that particular one. However, I knew I needed one.

Yesterday my husband purchased one for me and it will arrive TUESDAY! I am BEYOND excited. It was used (good price) and only worn a few times. I have to send off my Pan Europ LE soon since it is 30 seconds fast, so it will be VERY nice to have the silver dial to wear in it's place. Happy me!!!!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts