WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine gave me this Alton watch... I’m guessing 1950’s. The movement appears to be a Britix.

It is running but needs a service. Very nice dial.

Any info from the experts?

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,820 Posts
Something like a Landeron 248 movement cased up by Britix, imported by Wakmann for Markson Bros of Boston?

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,146 Posts
Unless it's a mariage ("Frankenwatch") with a Landeron movement originally in a Britix watch but now in an Alton. The font of "Alton" on the dial doesn't quite match that of the Alton brand of Markson Brothers in Boston. There was also a company calles Montres Alton in Biel, Switzerland. Maybe the original dial and case was from one of their watches?!

On the whole, I would have difficulties deciding which of the two options it is. I would prefer some stronger evidence for a link between Britix and Markson Brothers, though, to be sure that this is how it all happened.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unless it's a mariage ("Frankenwatch") with a Landeron movement originally in a Britix watch but now in an Alton. The font of "Alton" on the dial doesn't quite match that of the Alton brand of Markson Brothers in Boston. There was also a company calles Montres Alton in Biel, Switzerland. Maybe the original dial and case was from one of their watches?!

On the whole, I would have difficulties deciding which of the two options it is. I would prefer some stronger evidence for a link between Britix and Markson Brothers, though, to be sure that this is how it all happened.

Hartmut Richter
Interesting! I have not found much on Markson or Alton for that matter.

I believe the case can be attributed to Britix as “Britix Watch Co” is stamped/engraved on inside of caseback.

The real question is the dial. I have not seen a comparable Alton!

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,820 Posts
Without further evidence the balance of probabilities points towards Markson Bros for a watch located in the US. There will always be the possibility of a Frankenstein but I’d guess against it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Without further evidence the balance of probabilities points towards Markson Bros for a watch located in the US. There will always be the possibility of a Frankenstein but I’d guess against it.
I’m guessing Markson Bros sourced components and put there label on watches?

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,820 Posts
Markson Bros, based on a couple of Google references sound like a department store, so Alton would have been one of their in house brands.

The watch was imported by Wakmann who were best known as the Breitling importers. I’m guessing they supplied the watches to Markson, taking care of the whole process from ordering to delivery.

Britix would have made the watch including putting the Alton logo on the dial as a subcontractor for Wakmann. As far as I know Britix were an assembler, buying in components to make watches. I don’t know if they had any in house production of parts.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Markson Bros, based on a couple of Google references sound like a department store, so Alton would have been one of their in house brands.

The watch was imported by Wakmann who were best known as the Breitling importers. I’m guessing they supplied the watches to Markson, taking care of the whole process from ordering to delivery.

Britix would have made the watch including putting the Alton logo on the dial as a subcontractor for Wakmann. As far as I know Britix were an assembler, buying in components to make watches. I don’t know if they had any in house production of parts.
Thank you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts