WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy the Christopher Ward C60 300, however, i have a few worries about. Firstly, is Christopher ward a respected brand, I know they haven't been around long and all, but i really like there Trident Design and from what i've read, there doesn't seem to be many bad reviews of them. Secondly, to my title, the bezel is 'Unidirectional Aluminum' yet the 600's are ceramic, so basically what is the difference? I assume Ceramic is better as its on the more expensive watch, but why?

Finally, is there any other good dive watches you can recommend around the same price? I'm looking for a one similar to the Black/Red model.

Regards,

Robert

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was just about to start a similar topic. I don't understand the ceramic bezels either. They might take more knocks, but they're so shiny and reflective, I just don't like them. I prefer a more muted or matte finish. And perhaps there are matte ceramic bezels, but I've not noticed any. I just can't get past the shiny.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Ceramic is much more scratch resistant.

There are dozens of threads on affordable dive watches you can track down on here. Some of the often mentioned ones are steinhart, armida, halios, and Helson. And of course you could look at seiko.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
614 Posts
Ceramic bezels (at least the ones I'm familiar with) are certainly quite shiny. The advantage is that they are far more scratch resistant than aluminum, and modern ceramics are pretty tough. I've wondered if it's possible to make a more matte ceramic finish, but maybe it wouldn't be as scratch resistant. Plus ceramic bezels sometimes have lume extensively incorporated into the bezel. Oris makes a watch (aquis) with some models having a tungsten carbide bezel that isn't as shiny & is very tough & scratch resistant.

Christopher Ward I think is a well respected brand with some really nice offerings. I had an earlier model Trident that was quite nice for the $.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Sorry, just saw you specifically requested something in red/black. I belive steinhart has an ocean one model in those colors. They're typically mentioned as a primary competitor to Chris ward.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
61,463 Posts
If you can stretch (one heck of a stetch I know) to the C60 600 I would because it's a simply fabulous watch. I prefer ceramic over ally because of it's scratch resistance. If a watch with an ally bezel leads a hard life it shows.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Don't hesitate pulling the trigger on a Chris Ward Trident with the ceramic bezel. I have the titanium pro and the SS white face pro, both are incredibly beautiful watches and the bezels are not shiny at all. I also have a Steinhart Ocean 1 Black with a ceramic bezel and that is crazy shiny. Too much so IMHO.

The titanium bezel is definitely more matte in its finish whereas the white faced pro, that is a simply stunning piece. My favourite watch in my entire collection. I could look at it for hours! Don't hesitate, just do it!

"Expecto Inopinatum"

·
Registered
472 Posts
I agree some ceramic inserts are too shiny. My OWC is a great watch, but I do wish for a more matte finish on the insert. (The lume on it almost makes up for it.)

I do have a scratch or two on aluminum inserts. They are much cheaper to replace, but I don't expect to ever replace ceramic.

IMG_2860.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I think the ceramic vs aluminum debate depends on how rough you are on watches also. I have both kinds, and while in absolute terms do prefer ceramic, I think aluminum makes certain watches. I am careful with my watches, so aluminum is OK for me also. There are sapphire bezels out there also, but do tend to be reflective. Here are some examples of each:

Ceramic

2016-11-22_13.21.59.jpg

2016-11-07_22.59.55.jpg

Aluminum

2017-02-09_17.33.56.jpg

2016-11-13_12.24.28.jpg

Sapphire

2016-11-03_10.55.23.jpg

2016-11-15_23.02.21.jpg

·
Registered
580 Posts
Having owned both the quartz and automatic Tridents, I can say that movements and bezel inserts aside theyre both great.

As others have mentioned the ceramic is more scratch resistant. That said I found the aluminum to be pretty tough on the Trident too. First week I had it I whacked it against a counter by accident, and the only damage was a tiny dent in the insert which didn't even break the coating. Other brands with aluminium may not be as tough though.

Also I think the Trident Vintage may have a matte ceramic bezel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts