WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This watch caught my eye as I was looking through Macy's online shop and I fell in love the more I looked at it. I know Macy's is always overpriced and so when i went searching, I found much cheaper prices. This watch I've seen at prices from $1500-$2100 from online retail stores. Even on eBay, the watch goes for about $1100. But, there is a short lived opportunity in which the watch is on sale for $600 - no tax. Is there something I'm missing (the watch is on sale due to cheap construction) or is it on sale because the just don't sell well at their retail price.
Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has anymore information on this deal ending in under 48 hours.
-Is TIMEX a good brand to begin with?
-Is a 2 year warranty good for this type of watch?
-

Code:
[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"][B]Brand[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"]Ferragamo[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy"][B]Model number[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy"]FQ2030013[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"][B]Gender[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"]Mens[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy"][B]Series[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy"]F-80[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"][B]Watch Style[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"]Sport[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy"][B]Movement[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy"]Quartz[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"][B]Engine[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"]ISA 8171/204[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy"][B]Functions[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy"]Chronograph, Date, Hour, Minute, Second[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"][B]Case Material[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"]Stainless Steel[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy"][B]Case Shape[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy"]Round[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"][B]Case Diameter[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"]43.5 mm  -[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy"][B]Case Thickness[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy"]13 mm[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"][B]Case Back[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"]Solid[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy"][B]Crown[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy"]Screw Down[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"][B]Bezel[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"]Fixed[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy"][B]Dial Color[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy"]Black[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"][B]Dial Type[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"]Analog[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy"][B]Dial Markers[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy"]Arabic Numeral/Index[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"][B]Hands[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"]Silver-tone[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy"][B]Luminiscents[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy"]Markers[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"][B]Bracelet[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"]Black Rubber[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy"][B]Band Width[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy"]25 mm[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"][B]Clasp[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"]Fold Over with Safety[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy"][B]Calendar[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy"]Date display at the 4 o'clock position[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"][B]Water Resistant[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"]100 meters / 330 feet[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy"][B]Crystal[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy"]Scratch Resistant Sapphire[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: table-info-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"][B]Watch Label[/B][/TD]
[TD="class: table-header-winbuy, bgcolor: #EFEFF1"]Swiss Made[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Other watches owned
Kenneth Cole (meh)
G-Shock (in love)
Citizen (in love)

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
The movement on that watch is about 20 USD in Cousins UK, I'll let you be the judge on that.
I'd take a look at some Seiko or even Casio Edifice options at a much better price!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The movement on that watch is about 20 USD in Cousins UK, I'll let you be the judge on that.
I'd take a look at some Seiko or even Casio Edifice options at a much better price!
so basically, i'd be paying the premium price for just the brand name and the look, correct? from what i understand, you're saying that the construction itself is as basic as it gets

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I think of shoes when I hear of the brand. Its an eye pleasing watch. But I agree that you can get a similar watch with an automatic movement at that retail price. Look at Mido or Oris' catalog whom carry similar looking watches.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
cuica pretty much nailed the crux of the argument from an "Affordable" standpoint. I'm seeing that particular variant of the movement for more like $50 when purchased individually but that's an academic difference.

Timex's holding company operates several tiers of product quality in divisions that aren't subordinate to the Timex division. That is to say that Ferragamo is built by the Timex group but it's in a completely different division from the group that makes Timex branded watches. It's made in Switzerland to get that magical "Swiss-ness" applied and frankly it has some decent features that would justify *some* price increases over say a Casio Edifice.

The chronograph feature is nice (basically a "hidden" chronograph when it's not in use.) The internal bezel with slide rule is nice I guess. It costs a bit to implement, but I don't care about that feature vs. say a timing bezel. It has Sapphire glass and a screw-down crown. The included strap also has a butterfly clasp rather than a buckle, so there's some value there... but...

Feature-wise, it has some problems at the $1000-2000 price point. It's a quartz chronograph and not automatic primarily. There's no precious metal or other parts that are difficult/costly to manufacture.

It comes down to the name. Some people would equate Ferragamo with a luxury brand, but it's not a brand that builds its own watches and certainly they're not at the level where they use expensive movements, let alone doing movements customized for them or built in house.

Would I pay $1000+? Hell no. You're in the price range where you could get a Tag or a Baume et. Mercier or a high-end Seiko or VSA. Any/all of those would be superior and hold value better.

At $600? I still wouldn't. I could get a product of equivalent or better quality and better branding from lots of brands-- Tissot, VSA, Certina, Mid-range Seiko, etc. If you want to go for it at $600 you have to be in love with the design. If it's your perfect watch, at $600 it's not a completely ridiculous price, but it's still high for a quartz chronograph, even one with some nice features. At around $600 you're right at the minimum price point where you could be buying an automatic chrono as well, if you're lucky and find good deals.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
so basically, i'd be paying the premium price for just the brand name and the look, correct? from what i understand, you're saying that the construction itself is as basic as it gets
See my longer post, but no-- it's not an entry level chronograph (say a $100 price point Casio Edifice or Seiko) but its feature set is barely justified at $600 and appears to be way overpriced at >$1000.

Even at the $600 price point, you would probably be assigning some value to the brand or the design or some other feature that really appeals to *you* to justify the cost. It has some features that are desirable, but it comes down that personal "yes this is worth it for me" decision. In terms of raw feature set, you can get similar products for half the cost.

Reactions: domoon

·
Registered
11,422 Posts
You can get a mechanical chronograph from someone like Hamilton for around $1100. With what essentially amounts to a very cheap movement in a pretty nice case, I'd consider it a major rip-off at even $600. If this were an Invicta it would have a SRP of $1100 but be "on sale" for $200.

If you're still OK with getting a quartz chrono then still consider someone like Hamilton or Christopher Ward who make them for around $400 and just as high quality if not better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
See my longer post, but no-- it's not an entry level chronograph (say a $100 price point Casio Edifice or Seiko) but its feature set is barely justified at $600 and appears to be way overpriced at >$1000.

Even at the $600 price point, you would probably be assigning some value to the brand or the design or some other feature that really appeals to *you* to justify the cost. It has some features that are desirable, but it comes down that personal "yes this is worth it for me" decision. In terms of raw feature set, you can get similar products for half the cost.
thank you everyone for your replies.

@ovrsteer .. yes i knew $1000 was too much for this watch as soon as i realized it was a subbrand and it wasn't anything special. but at $600 i really started to wonder if this was worth it. I am in fact in love with the design but it's hard to make my decision as I don't NEED a $600 watch right now. I have a Citizen Eco-Drive (BL5400-52A) which I am IN LOVE with as well. Looks much better in person as the online pictures do not do it justice. Some of the functions of the Citizen are: (270-Day Power reserve, 1/20 Second chronograph, 12/24 hour time, Dual Time, Alarm, Power saver function, Low charge indicator, Time reset Advisory and Perpetual Calendar). Now being that I am in fact a timepiece newbie, I don't know what you mean by automatic versus quartz. Would you mind explaining what this means in layman's terms?

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
I have to run home but will explain later. It's a HUGE distinction actually...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
From the "New, Start Here" thread https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/new-start-here-1059514.html:

"Quartz watches are powered by batteries, mechanical ones by you, either by winding each day (manual wind) or by the random movements of your hand driving a rotor in the watch (automatic)
Quartz watches are generally cheaper, but need new batteries (unless eco-drive, kinetic or solar powered) and the electronic module is only replaceable as long as the manufacturer keeps making them. They can have lights, and digital displays as well as/ instead of hands. The motion of the hands is not as smooth as a mechanical.

Mechanical watches are more complex and thus more expensive. However they have a longer life, as parts can be replaced when worn rather than the whole mechanism. The hands move smoothly, and they can be adjusted to be as accurate as quartz.

You need to remember to wind up your manual wind watch. However, as it has no rotor it can be thinner than an automatic."

Edit: If you search the forums for "automatic vs quartz" you will find many spirited (and unresolved) discussions about the relative merits of each type of movement.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have to run home but will explain later. It's a HUGE distinction actually...
Thanks. Also, I think my infatuation with the watch has to do with the design of the dial and it's non-simplistic nature. This design seems to be prominent in "pilot" watches just as this one is called the F80-PILOT. Are there affordable brands that are good for this kind of style?

@BigBandito thanks for that .

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Thanks. Also, I think my infatuation with the watch has to do with the design of the dial and it's non-simplistic nature. This design seems to be prominent in "pilot" watches just as this one is called the F80-PILOT. Are there affordable brands that are good for this kind of style?
Oh, yes! Lots and lots.

This is the Citizen Nighthawk, an Affordables Forum favorite that meets that description. It's a 43 mm quartz watch, and as I hope you will admit, very non-simplistic. Currently $276.50 on Amazon.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

And if you want really non-simplistic there's the related AT Skyhawk Blue Angels for $521.25.

Analog watch Wrist Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory

Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory Metal

Reactions: flyb0y_7

·
Registered
101 Posts
Spending so much money on that watch would be unadvisable, when i think i could buy my mini grail Frederique Constant fc-710 for that money mmmm...but thats just me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Oh, yes! Lots and lots.

This is the Citizen Nighthawk, an Affordables Forum favorite that meets that description. It's a 43 mm quartz watch, and as I hope you will admit, very non-simplistic. Currently $276.50 on Amazon.

View attachment 1612398

And if you want really non-simplistic there's the related AT Skyhawk Blue Angels for $521.25.

View attachment 1612397

View attachment 1612396
YES. these are the types of dials im looking for although the blue angels is a bit over the top. Do you know of the product lines/ brands i should look out for?

Spending so much money on that watch would be unadvisable, when i think i could buy my mini grail Frederique Constant fc-710 for that money mmmm...but thats just me.
to me, i'd buy the ferragamo any day over your mini grail because i don't like the design of that watch, nearly at all. hey, we have our preferences

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
YES. these are the types of dials im looking for although the blue angels is a bit over the top. Do you know of the product lines/ brands i should look out for?
Those types of watches are not really my forte. Your best bet would be the forum search function. There is also a WUS forum that specializes in military and pilot watches (Pilots' & Military watches). Perhaps they could make some suggestions.

Edit: Don't know if you want a chronograph or not, but you might want to check out this thread in the pil/mil forum: https://www.watchuseek.com/f7/pilots-chronograph-picture-thread-1053698.html.

·
Registered
11,422 Posts
How about one like this? You can get this Hamilton quartz chrono with a slide rule bezel for well under $500.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Seiko E6B:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Seiko SSC007:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Brand Sky

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Those types of watches are not really my forte. Your best bet would be the forum search function. There is also a WUS forum that specializes in military and pilot watches (Pilots' & Military watches). Perhaps they could make some suggestions.

Edit: Don't know if you want a chronograph or not, but you might want to check out this thread in the pil/mil forum: https://www.watchuseek.com/f7/pilots-chronograph-picture-thread-1053698.html.
thanks for all the help mate!
How about one like this? You can get this Hamilton quartz chrono with a slide rule bezel for well under $500.

View attachment 1612485
unfortunately, i really dislike it from the looks. im very picky and i'm not looking for a watch per se, i just spotted this watch that i've been looking at for $600 and had to make a post to make sure its worth it as before i pull the trigger. i'm still deciding really

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
honestly, guys, im really flattered you guys are taking the time to explain and even look for me even as i am a newbie and haven't really established any reputation/credibility. thank you all

1 - 20 of 29 Posts