WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The leather strap that comes with a watch usually fits:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't see much posted on this. Wondering why do OEM straps have so awfully spaced out holes and finding a satisfying fit is a pure matter of luck. My Panerai leather strap has holes 5.5mm apart. Longines too. Sometimes it fits but sometimes it wobbles around and can't do much about that.

I found some strap makers on Etsy willing to custom-make straps to my specs with the holes minimally spaced out. The difference in comfort is just unbelievable. EDIT: will add another picture, the holes are safely spaced out, no chance of tearing up against each other.

·
Premium Member
7,744 Posts
the strap holes in your pic are spaced so close together that it looks like the holes are going to tear into each other

the trick is finding one hole looser to what you find closest to comfortable, then getting fat

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
the strap holes in your pic are spaced so close together that it looks like the holes are going to tear into each other
This right here.
While I understand your pain, those holes are way to close. That leather tearing is practically an inevitability.

I recently ordered a custom for my Tourby. It came on a very nice OEM that fit quite perfectly. I used its hole location and spacing as the guideline for the new one. (Edit: with a few minor tweaks)

A pair of digital calipers will help on your expedition.

Reactions: Docrwm

·
Premium Member
9,999 Posts
What they said about the leather eventually tearing because of the crowding of the holes. Might consider a deployant to a strap that you can't get just right, I've had a couple that solved the issue for me in the past. Plus they extend the life of a leather strap, make it easier to put on and off, and can balance the watch.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This right here.
While I understand your pain, those holes are way to close. That leather tearing is practically an inevitability.

I recently ordered a custom for my Tourby. It came on a very nice OEM that fit quite perfectly. I used its hole location and spacing as the guideline for the new one.

A pair of digital calipers will help on your expedition.
Looks like it on the iPhone picture but they are spaced out just fine, no chance of tearing up into each other.

·
Premium Member
9,999 Posts
Looks like it on the iPhone picture but they are spaced out just fine, no chance of tearing up into each other. View attachment 16029815
Sorry, but those are too close. Eventually wear and stress will distort the hole you use most and the closer they are the soon the leather will fail. YMMV.

·
Banned
4,239 Posts
I find it's often difficult to get that perfect fit and invariably you either choke the wrist or wear it a bit too loose. With rubber it seems to adhere better to the skin even when worn a little on the loose side.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I switch out the leather strap to change up the look of the watch mostly. As others have noted, having the holes too close to each other could pose a durability problem. If adjusting the fit is an issue for you, you might want to try Perlon straps, which have microadjustability, or those MN straps like Erika's Originals that have infinite adjustability. Some companies also make leather straps with no holes that connect to a deployant clasp that clamps down on the leather at a location of your choosing; these would also be infinitely adjustable.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
varies. I have an inexpensive Seiko solar with a surprisingly nice calfskin strap, and Stowa makes perhaps my favorite leather strap.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,761 Posts
Glad I am a bracelet only guy now.

Used to have this issue as well when I did choose OEM straps, so I went back to metal…..

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
The good thing about leather and rubber straps is that they are pliable and can stretch. A loose fit don't hurt, and a tight fit may be good enough. I've never had any major problems, even if closer holes would be preferable.

I bought a Staib mesh with a butterfly strap and it's unbearable. Tight fit cuts of circulation (no stretch), lose fit means there's a thick metal band rubbing on your arm all day.

·
Registered
Looking for something new
6 Posts
I don't see much posted on this. Wondering why do OEM straps have so awfully spaced out holes and finding a satisfying fit is a pure matter of luck. My Panerai leather strap has holes 5.5mm apart. Longines too. Sometimes it fits but sometimes it wobbles around and can't do much about that.

I found some strap makers on Etsy willing to custom-make straps to my specs with the holes minimally spaced out. The difference in comfort is just unbelievable. EDIT: will add another picture, the holes are safely spaced out, no chance of tearing up against each other.

View attachment 16029730
I wonder if they are worried the holes will wear out easier if they are so close together. They can stretch out quite a bit if it's tight.

·
Registered
112 Posts

View attachment 16029730
It really depends on the watch, but the OEM straps I've seen are generally alright.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts

5mm hole spacing seems about right. Less and I'd be worried about the holes tearing, especially after wearing them for a while. Also, you mentioned Panerai - most of the buckles I've seen for those usually have flat pins rather than round ones. The strap holes are usually oval, not round.

·
Premium Member
3,116 Posts
Most, but not all, are in my strap drawer due to their length. Those that came on a pilot style watch in particular.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
It's the quality of OEM leather straps that's the problem, not the fit. That's why I always buy a watch with a bracelet and choose my own leather.

A guy can get hooked on custom made fine leather straps, so be careful.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts