WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings folks

I've recently gotten fixated with seiko divers again specifically the Samurai

after a 5 year break, I came across the Save The Ocean Samurai 2018, love at first sight.

then I purchased the dark 2018 simply because it was going cheap.

I'm currently wearing the 2019 great white samurai but somethings just not right.

the goddamn monster hands.

I can't stand them.

I realise monster hands are associated with killer lume.

Monster hands on the samurai package seems a mismatch.

i would much prefer the original samurai hands associated with second gen samurai watches.

makes me want to mod the hands on all of my samurai.

so just curious if any of you share my dislike that seiko released samurai monsters?!

·
Registered
255 Posts
greetings folks

after a 5 year break, I came across the Save The Ocean Samurai 2018, love at first sight.

I'm currently wearing the 2019 great white samurai but somethings just not right.

I can't stand them.

i would much prefer the original samurai hands associated with second gen samurai watches.

so just curious if any of you share my dislike that seiko released samurai monsters?!
Yes, I totally agree. The curvy-ish hour hand is a mismatch to the Samurai's angular, geometric case. It looks like a bad mod.

·
Registered
21,751 Posts
Count me in.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I love the monster hands wherever they are.

I'm OK with the Sumo hands (and similarly 2nd gen Samurai hands).

I cannot stand the MM hands.

This was a like/dislike situation for me until I realized the reason.

When the tails of the hands are short or non-existent, legibility increases. Posed at 10:08:42 all hands look good, take a photo at 6 o'clock and you will see how tail of the minute hands obscures the hour hand, which I consider totally unnecessary.

And then the second hand having lume at the tail or considerable portion at the wrong end is a total deal breaker for me. It's like lume showing 9 o'clock when the hand is pointing at 3 o'clock. Insane.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
greetings folks

I can't stand them.

Show us the difference.... I've never had a Samurai.. Side by side please I know what Monster hands look like but a comparison shot would be great.

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't mind them in the daytime. It's only when I wake up early in the morning that I have a hard time telling if the hour hand is point at the 4 or the 5. I'm over 50 and use reading glasses. The hour hand is somewhat triangular and without my glasses, it tends to blend into a fuzzy ball when the lume is at its dimmest. An hour hand like an SKX is much easier for me to read in low light, low lume situations.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't mind them in the daytime. It's only when I wake up early in the morning that I have a hard time telling if the hour hand is point at the 4 or the 5. I'm over 50 and use reading glasses. The hour hand is somewhat triangular and without my glasses, it tends to blend into a fuzzy ball when the lume is at its dimmest. An hour hand like an SKX is much easier for me to read in low light, low lume situations.
Same here, it's really put me off wanting to use my Monsters. Seiko seem to be putting that hand style all over the place these days.... :-(

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I agree with this, at night the hour hand is difficult to tell where it's pointing but daylight no problem. I really have no problem with the hands on the samurai as it stands.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
absolutely. they don't go together well, and they're both pretty ugly, but it's that stubby hour hand that really disturbs me. i have so many sets of monster hands i've swapped out, if anyone wants them, i'll sell them cheaply as i'd never have any use for them. and so what if you get an effing rocket ship once an hour?

i also have a problem with replacement hands from dagaz and yobokies and dragon shroud, they have some nice looking hands, but the lume is always terrible and i send them out for re-luming. if it's humanly possible to lume hands properly, shouldn't they come that way new? are there any sources for hands that don't need reluming?

dragon shroud's matte finish sword hands look amazing on a bead-blasted monster, btw :) imo.... Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Blue Fashion accessory

photo by duarte mendona.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Personally, if I know someone that mods a watch they won't get a ride with me, cause I dislike backseat drivers.
I mean I don't buy the watch if I don't like something about it. The one time I gave thought about modification was the material of the case from SS to bronze, the dial, movement, handset all would stay the same. That's just my thoughts..
Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.