WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys -

i've been a lurker for a year or so now, having owned an SOA and A Ti-Seal, that i let go to fund a Panerai, but would really like to get another Kobold for so many reasons...

i'm have my eye on the Soarway Diver w/black dial,
Laughinggull has posted so many wonderful shots, that this has sparked my interest in that model. i know the normal progression would have been to start with that model first, then the SOA & the Ti-Seal, but i wanted tio do things a little differently, and while enjoying the Pam, also have the understated look & size of the Soarway as my low-key watch.
my question is, is this model so much smaller in size, that i may find it difficult to go back to, or does it hold it's own pretty well ?
it looks like a great watch, and i'd love to hear thoughts from cureent or past owners. bye the way, i'll be after the black dial in a brushed case :)

thanks for any thoughts you might share, and have a wonderful day wearing Your Kobold !

reguards , Jeff in new hampshire

·
Registered
124 Posts
Jeff,

I just got a SD about two months ago, and yes I think there is a significant size difference as compared to the Seal and SMG-1, and after wearing my SMG-1 it seemed small at first but after wearing awhile I didn't mind the size difference. I just really like the clean look of the SD, and that is why it replaced my Seal. If you are someone that has to wear a large watch all the time then it might not be for you. I am very happy with mine.(Tactical SD)

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i also wear a 40mm Stowa Airman which i am comfortable with,
although 40mm is as small as i prefer to go.
any chance you have a pic of the SD next to one of your similar size watches ?
i am familiar with most watches out there, and the size comparison could be helpful.

in any event, thank you for your thoughts :)

·
Banned
675 Posts
i'm thinking about getting a second one--this time the blue--it's my favorite watch--right now its on the zulu.
john

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
It's not surprising the similar paths that Wis's travel in this nutty hobby. I had some early kobolds, then flipped them all when the panerai period started, then flipped all of those and am back to kobolds. But the move away from large watches was intentional as I have a small wrist and the large watch craze started to subside.
So now I've got a Seal, a Soarway diver and a LSD. The most often worn pieces are my Sea Dweller and the Soarway, both 40 mm pieces, and both bead blasted. They feel just right, even though some others sneak into the rotation on occasion.
DW

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I think the Soarway is actually 42mm. The thin bezel makes it look and wear larger than it is--the dial is supposedly the same size as the Seal, but looks larger. So I'd say the SD wears large for its size except for one thing--it is exceptionally thin, and feels even thinner than it is because of the spider-like lugs. That makes for a very, very comfortable watch.

Go for it--it will look a fair bit bigger than the Stowa on the wrist, but feel thinner.

Cheers,
Daniel

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
A little too late Jeff in New Hampshire :), but if you by any chance are a CSI NY fan, the watch the Detective Taylor (Gary Sinise) has worn the the last three or four seasons on the show is a Soarway Diver. There are a lot of "real life" and wrists shots on the show so you might be able to get an idea of how it wears.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Hi

All photos aside, the Soarway Diver has been far and away the most wearable and comfortable of all Kobolds I've owned. I love its thinness. the dial is actually larger than the SEAL dial, the hands are noticeably longer. The bezel is thin so you get a lot of watch face for your money. The lume (on mine) is far superior to the lume on the SEAL: green on hands, blue on hour markers. I have the black/brushed combo and not the Sopranos model. I also love the versatility, there are three other bezels you can pop on: orange, black/Phantom; blue/PS. Also, (IMO) it looks fantastic on 20mm Omega mesh.

I think you should order it on black zulu and leather - but that's just me. the Soarway bracelet is gorgeous too. Give it a try, if you don't like it you can return it within 10 days.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you for all of the positive thoughts !
i am sure one of these will be on my wrist in the near future,
although i have not seen many on on the second hand market.
i am not particulary interested in the Soprano's Edition, just the standard model.
-may i ask you folks what price might be commanded for a very clean one on the secondary market ?

again, thank you for all the positive words...

-Jeff

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
You are right, not many come available, but you can always post a Looking to Buy thread and see what happens. I don't mind telling you that I paid around 2k for mine back in December (I didn't try to negotiate down price because seller was very generous in letting me have some time to complete payment) and I would describe it as near new. I have seen them since from $1800-$2200. Talking about standard SS model with either black or blue face with bracelet.

You also might contact Chad at Henne's as he has a few on hand and can keep an eye out for an aftermarket one for you.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Daniel -

I found a wrist shot of yours in the forum archives,
my wrist is only a 1/4 larger than yours.
that picture was very helpful, i'm in :-}

enjoy your weekend, jeff

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
jeff
I also recommend you create an ebay search that sends you an e-mail anytime something new pops under "kobold watch". I've seen two in the last few months on the bay, one was a beauty in phenomenal shape, with the whole kit and bracelet. It went for around $2400

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I think the Soarway is actually 42mm. The thin bezel makes it look and wear larger than it is--the dial is supposedly the same size as the Seal, but looks larger. So I'd say the SD wears large for its size except for one thing--it is exceptionally thin, and feels even thinner than it is because of the spider-like lugs. That makes for a very, very comfortable watch.

Go for it--it will look a fair bit bigger than the Stowa on the wrist, but feel thinner.

Cheers,
Daniel
The SD is 41.3mm per the Kobold website. The Seal is 44mm. It doesn't say how big the the dials are, but I conducted a very scientific experiment here at the house. PLEASE KIDS, DON"T TRY THIS AT HOME.
I measured both faces off the Kobold site. They come in at a very similar 1.5 inches! I would not have believed it.
As for the SD. It should wear and look like an Omega SMP. The SD is 10.25mm in height, the SMP i think is a hair over 41mm and 12.7 high

Buy it with love,
Darin

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thank you all for your responses, they have been helpful!
-if any you would like to post pic's of the Soarway Diver next to a similar size watch you own, that would be helpful as well.

bottom line, i am keeping an eye on the secondary market, for a black dial one :-}
i look forward to enjoying one of these !!!

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Woodenbull--

Ya got your new-to-you SD yet??

Can't wait for you to post those pix..:-!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it should arrive early next week.
your wonderful pictures have a lot to do with my purchase of this model,
as well as the imput from other well know members here,
many thanks to all who helped me in my decision.
i've had the SOA and the ti-Seal, both of which i really enjoyed,
but i am thinking this will be a little more low-key, a "sleeper" if you will.
i can't wait till it arrives, and i do promise to post some pic's.
hope you continue to feel better :)

best reguards, jeff

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Jeff, congratulations on your new Soarway Diver. :-!

Now that I've had my SEAL for awhile and liking it very much, I too am contemplating what would likely be my next Kobold.:think:

I am not much of a chronograph type of person, so that eliminates most of the lineup. Thinking about the SOA, but would like to have a black dial version. Also thinking of the Soarway Diver, as it appears that you can change out the bezels and have a different looking watch whenever you choose.

Please take some pictures and share them when you get the chance, it might convince me to get another Kobold. :-d

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Derek, i will be sure to post some pic's of the Soarway Diver when it arrives,
should arrive early in the week.
i am with you, in that i prefer simple, clean dials, and the SOA, Seal, and Soarway Diver fit the bill. i was looking for a low-key Kobold, and this seems to be the ticket.
enjoy your Seal, they are wonderful watches, the SOA is a wonderful choice as well.
i keep looking for that "keeper" of a watch, i am really hoping this may be it !
with more Kobolds to follow :)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Now that I've had my SEAL for awhile and liking it very much, I too am contemplating what would likely be my next Kobold.:think:

I am not much of a chronograph type of person, so that eliminates most of the lineup.
Derek don't underestimate the chronos, I didn't think they'd be my cup o' tea either, but I'm really enjoying the Endurance B I bought a few months back and Kev's Phantom which I had a chance to try on at our mini GTG in SF.
Try a few on before you decide.
Cheers
Jeff

1 - 20 of 24 Posts