WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just returned from a walk. Earlier tonight I picked up my PO from a drawer where I had left it to wind out quite some time ago. I decided to give it some wrist time again so I just put it on and went for a walk to wind it up. To my amazement the hands are still not moving. I am looking at it and I cannot believe what I am seeing. How can this be?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I keep my SMP (Bond) on a winder when I'm not wearing it and have never have a problem... ;-)

·
Registered
5,873 Posts

·
Registered
27,204 Posts
I think you guys are being rude, this guy thought his expensive watch was broken and came looking for some advice. Isn't that why all of us are here?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Perfectly normal. You can't just put on an automatic from a dead stop and hope that walking will wind it up. The rotor has to have enough action to get it started and that means a few minutes of walking, so by the time its started the time would be off anyways. Plus it would only run for a few hours anyway. Since the watch was stopped you had to set the time....so next time you might as well wind it 30-40 times to get it started.

Watches are like people.....they need a good breakfast to start out the day :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I see that people have problems in understanding what I wrote. I guess my English is much worse than I thought. So let's me explain it this way: If you pick up an unwound Seiko 5 from a AD's desk it is already enough to make it running for a while. OK? If you are still with me I can continue. 45' of quick walk will put more kinetic energy into an automatic than a day in office. My PO's hands did not move. I find this amazing. It seems that it requires hand winding after a complete stop. WHY?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
After a 45min walk with normal arm swinging action I would expect an automatic to run from zero power reserve.

My PO and SMP start within seconds of being picked up from the drawer. But if I leave my PO in a travel case to wind down, after a week of to and from work with it in my bag it is very depleated and takes a few rotations of the watch head to start it up.

No one here can explain why your PO only started after a manual wind, your best bet is to keep it under observation, give it a full manual wind, wear it for a few days then set it down until the power reserve is depleted and try again.

How old is your PO?

·
Registered
20,564 Posts
I see that people have problems in understanding what I wrote. I guess my English is much worse than I thought. So let's me explain it this way: If you pick up an unwound Seiko 5 from a AD's desk it is already enough to make it running for a while. OK? If you are still with me I can continue. 45' of quick walk will put more kinetic energy into an automatic than a day in office. My PO's hands did not move. I find this amazing. It seems that it requires hand winding after a complete stop. WHY?

You definitely know about watches, yes three seconds of shaking is theorically enough for any automatic watch to start running for a while, there might be a problem with the auto-winding mechanism.

Reactions: Jonnyt

·
Registered
757 Posts
OK, that does sound weird. 45 minutes walking won't wind the watch, but it should kick start it. I wouldn't call it amazing though, I'd call it suspicious.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Ok, I apologise....that's not how I read the original post.

I would do as others suggest....full wind, wear a few days, let wind down and observe length of time running from power reserve, repeat again.

If it needs a full wind to get going again, I'd take the watch into the AD

·
Premium Member
12,743 Posts
45' of quick walk will put more kinetic energy into an automatic than a day in office.
A 45-foot quick walk would probably not give it much of a wind! :) It isn't much of a walk either. Perhaps your endurance needs a winding up too? :)

But seriously folks, sometimes my PO needs a sharp shake to start after hand-winding. Caused me concern after the first couple of times, but it doesn't happen often and after it gets going, it is just fine. Had it for a few years now.

·
Registered
20,564 Posts
A 45-foot quick walk would probably not give it much of a wind! :) It isn't much of a walk either. Perhaps your endurance needs a winding up too? :)

I think he means 45 minutes of walk, not 45-foot.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts