WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all you WISs!

Trying to keep cool and buy a nice watch at a great, if not fair price. Online merchants *coughAmazoncough* are making me squeamish...all these entry level Stuhrling and Invicta watches at 80% markdowns from their obscenely high MSRPS, and even at the supposedly marked down price the watch is likely to be failure prone with poor Q/C, etc. It seems like this is happening across the line. Even the Cyber Monday deals on luxury watches seem misleading...are these legit, ie: is a Tag Heuer Carerra Chrono marked down from $4500 to $2800 still just what you'd pay with a quality AD anyway?

How do you go about determining what represents a good deal these days in the online marketplace when all the watches on amazon/overstock/etc. have these huge and overstated MSRPs, and then claim to be offering a steal of a markdown (50% or more). What is going on here? How do you sniff out a true good deal versus just price manipulation to play to the part of the brain that gets excited over big savings?

Why is this even happening?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hi all you WISs!

Trying to keep cool and buy a nice watch at a great, if not fair price. Online merchants *coughAmazoncough* are making me squeamish...all these entry level Stuhrling and Invicta watches at 80% markdowns from their obscenely high MSRPS, and even at the supposedly marked down price the watch is likely to be failure prone with poor Q/C, etc. It seems like this is happening across the line. Even the Cyber Monday deals on luxury watches seem misleading...are these legit, ie: is a Tag Heuer Carerra Chrono marked down from $4500 to $2800 still just what you'd pay with a quality AD anyway?

How do you go about determining what represents a good deal these days in the online marketplace when all the watches on amazon/overstock/etc. have these huge and overstated MSRPs, and then claim to be offering a steal of a markdown (50% or more). What is going on here? How do you sniff out a true good deal versus just price manipulation to play to the part of the brain that gets excited over big savings?

Amazon doesn't set the Manufacturer's suggested retail price, the manufacturers do.

First, just don't buy a Stuhrling or Invicta. The inflated MSRPs are just one of their problems.

Second, if you want to buy a entry/mid-price watch (Seiko, Orient Citizen, Tissot maybe) online through Amazon or elsewhere, comparison shop. It doesn't take that long to run down asking prices at various outlets once you've found a model you like.

Third, for a luxury watch, talk to an AD and negotiate, then compare to Amazon or other grey markets, taking into account grey market status.

·
Registered
116 Posts
As the previous poster said. Make sure you comparison shop. You will learn real quickly. I paid $35 for Invicta as a beater. If it breaks, just get another. Would feel bad if it was a Seiko etc.. Surprisingly have had the Invicta for 3 years and still works!! No problems with it. As for the Tag Chrono, that msrp is reasonable, but you can easily get it thru the AD for less. Also grey market (prestige time, jomashop, etc) for much less.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Hi all you WISs!

You can buy crap watches on Amazon. And you can buy some really nice watches on Amazon. However, Amazon often has partners and I recommend you pay a few dollars more to buy directly from Amazon. I have that sometimes, Amazon has the best price for a decent piece. And their return and warranty is hard to beat. Most of the better quality watches they sell, won't come with the manufacturer warranty, but they use an excellent service center in KY and as long as you're not buying an in-house movement they should be able to service just about anything Amazon sells. I've purchased from Amazon and have been pleased with the transaction a lot. For example, I bought a Frederique Constant FC-303 from Amazon for a Christmas gift. I got a much better price than I could have from an AD and it came with free next day shipping.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I recently bought an Oris from Jomashop and I got a very good deal.
Usually all grey markets have similar prices, but from time to time Jomashop has a special sale on certain brand, and then the offers become interesting...
The only thing is that you never know when the watch that you are interested in will be marked down, and it takes a lot of patience and checking their website daily!
I save good money waiting until my Oris went on sale.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts