WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ooooh. Oo-Oooh.

Juicy new stuff found in the xml log file. Haven't digested it all yet, but for a some of us (o.k., probably 2 or 3 people), it ought to provide endless hours of entertainment.

1. Detailed satellite information gets logged periodically.
2. New information in the Header - including battery charge state. time to first fix. Something called "rules"
3. Something called 'marks' - which I think says when the watch switches between sources (e.g. GPS, foot, fusedspeed?)

Amb 2.0 Sat.png
Amb 2.0 Header.png
Amb 2.0 Marks.png

Happy Parsing.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ooooh. Oo-Oooh.

Juicy new stuff found in the xml log file. Haven't digested it all yet, but for a some of us (o.k., probably 2 or 3 people), it ought to provide endless hours of entertainment.

1. Detailed satellite information gets logged periodically.
2. New information in the Header - including battery charge state. time to first fix. Something called "rules"
3. Something called 'marks' - which I think says when the watch switches between sources (e.g. GPS, foot, fusedspeed?)

View attachment 894455

Happy Parsing.

Hmmmmm.... I think you might be on to something here. I seem to remember that the Ambit would use the fusedspeed to cover when the view to the satellites was lost, right?

In a another post it was reported that Suunto claims the Speed and Distance comes for the Foot POD if in use. I was wondering if the Foot POD was calibrated by the GPSr.

Does this new 'marks' info only show up when a Foot POD is in use or is there all the time since the update? I guess I can go look.

Update: Well I looked and for the two activities I looked at, one with the Foot POD and one without after the last update it shows:

With Foot POD
<marks>
<mark>
<DistanceSource>1</DistanceSource>
<Time>1.475</Time>
<UTC>2012-12-01T15:52:39.915Z</UTC>
</mark>

Without Foot POD
<marks>
<mark>
<DistanceSource>2</DistanceSource>
<Time>1.143</Time>
<UTC>2012-12-03T23:34:52.926Z</UTC>
</mark>

They did not show mixed results like your's or_watching.

·
Registered
215 Posts
i just did a short indoor ride on my cycletrainer with my new Ambit…:) and using a Bike Speed and Cadence sensor without GPS. The distance mark is not >3< it's 0

<marks>
<mark>
<DistanceSource>0</DistanceSource>
<Time>0.575</Time>
</mark>

·
Registered
223 Posts
i just did a short indoor ride on my cycletrainer with my new Ambit…:) and using a Bike Speed and Cadence sensor without GPS. The distance mark is not >3< it's 0

<marks>
<mark>
<DistanceSource>0</DistanceSource>
<Time>0.575</Time>
</mark>
Congrats on the new watch!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Congrats on the new watch!!
thx! The only thing that irritates me a bit at the moment is the fact that the data download rate is slow. I read about that, but this is awfully slow! A 43 min swim excercise only using the Stopwatch no Pods no GPS took about 10 min!!. I'm used to get the Data in seconds on my FR60…

·
Registered
223 Posts
thx! The only thing that irritates me a bit at the moment is the fact that the data download rate is slow. I read about that, but this is awfully slow! A 43 min swim excercise only using the Stopwatch no Pods no GPS took about 10 min!!. I'm used to get the Data in seconds on my FR60…
The watch is truly an exercise in patience. :-d

·
Registered
566 Posts
Wow, I've never seen it take that long... Which part seems to be long? There may be things you can do. Make sure you are using a usb2 port for the download phase? Make sure you have a good internet connection for the movescount sync phase?

I'd be surprised if any move took more than about 5 minutes here. Long, but 10 minutes seems really bad.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Wow, I've never seen it take that long... Which part seems to be long? There may be things you can do. Make sure you are using a usb2 port for the download phase? Make sure you have a good internet connection for the movescount sync phase?

I'd be surprised if any move took more than about 5 minutes here. Long, but 10 minutes seems really bad.

sorry for pulling this up again… i've just found out that Moveslink2 and Ambit uses a USB 1.1 - 12MBit Connection, even on a USB 2.0 Port. On a MacBook Pro with Snow Leo 10.6.8. I realized this, because my eyeTV Stick was without Function after the Ambit was plugged in. I got the message: eyeTV needs a 2.0 USB Port.
So i took a closer look with System Profiler:

Bildschirmfoto 2012-12-20 um 17.02.59.png
Moveslink2 powers the speed down to a 12 Mbit USB 1.1, that's why it's taking so long to grap a file from the watch. And i don't know why. Could anybody with a Mac take a closer look with Systemprofiler too, if they got a Highspeed 480Mbit Connection with Ambit?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yep, same for me. I'm running Mountain Lion. Plugged the iPhone into same port and its showing 480mb/sec but the Ambit just shows 12mb/sec. FWIW I also have a T6D which with Moveslink1 also restricts the speed to 12mb/sec as does my Garmin Edge 800. I'm guessing none of these devices have been designed for fast data transfer. If you think the Ambit is slow, try updating/syncing data with the Garmin!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yep, same for me. I'm running Mountain Lion. Plugged the iPhone into same port and its showing 480mb/sec but the Ambit just shows 12mb/sec. FWIW I also have a T6D which with Moveslink1 also restricts the speed to 12mb/sec as does my Garmin Edge 800. I'm guessing none of these devices have been designed for fast data transfer. If you think the Ambit is slow, try updating/syncing data with the Garmin!
My FR60 syncs in seconds with ANT Agent not using Garmin Connect to get the files locally on the machine. OK, the FIT files are much smaller. Copying the TCX files from my edge 705 as a Mass Storage Device takes a bit longer, 10sec? maybe for a 1MB file?!

That could be an Improvement for Suunto, using a High Speed Data Transfer Connection, i was expecting this for such a device with that big XML files.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts