WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else experience this ? On my last two long runs the cadence stops being recorded.

Yesterday's run stopped recording at mile 13 out of 19 and the previous run stopped at mile 1.3 out of 20.

Cadence is set up as the main display of the second screen of my run a route sport mode. However while I run I always have the first screen active to monitor my heart rate.

Both runs were planned moves that had been set up in movescount and they were also planned routes. Not sure if that matters or not.

Here's how it shows up in movescount and strava after it synced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did you use the zoomed in navigation screen?

It has been reported earlier that when you chose the zoomed in navigation screen the watch assume you are holding it like a compass and it disables the built in cadence. This is not a fault, it is a design feature.

I can't find the link now but if you search around you will probably find the full explanation, there might be something I have misunderstood.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am seeing the same thing with running cadence on the Ambit3 Peak. It is very erratic and just drops out when I increase my pace past a certain point. I am not using a pre-planned route, so I don't know why the compass would be active. I just purchased the watch and I am trying to determine if this is a faulty watch or just how it works. I sent an email to Suunto support, but they have a multi-week wait time right now...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am seeing the same thing with running cadence on the Ambit3 Peak. It is very erratic and just drops out when I increase my pace past a certain point. I am not using a pre-planned route, so I don't know why the compass would be active. I just purchased the watch and I am trying to determine if this is a faulty watch or just how it works. I sent an email to Suunto support, but they have a multi-week wait time right now...
I had the same issue with a brand new Peak. Contacted Suunto who told me it was a faulty gyro. They repaired it and when I got it back it still had the same issue.

Got a tip from someone that worked for me. You "Force firmware upgrade". You'll find it in the movescount program on your computer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here is how the cadence dropoff looks for me. This is a short treadmill run with GPS turned off. At the end I started increasing the speed peaking at close to 12 mph (5:00/mile). Ambit was on my left wrist and I made sure that it was swinging the entire time. I made treadmill adjustments with my right hand.

Red Text Line Technology Wave

This was done with the previous firmware. I haven't had a chance to test it with the new firmware yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here my run from yesterday with the new firmware (2.0.45). I also made sure to aways swing my wrist and made a point to not check my watch. As you can see, it measured zero more than it worked at all!

I did another run today with the cadence measurement displayed for the entire run. I could actually see it get stuck on 0 and stay there for minutes at a time.

Product Text Font Sport venue Fence

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a lot of dropouts and got the following response from Suunto for my Ambit 3 Run:

Thank you for contacting Suunto Customer Support.

Sorry for the late response.

The wrist based cadence is very sensitive that even small things have effect on it. We have also found that when running faster the wrist measurement is not so reliable anymore. We are currently investigating how can we adjust the algorithm to work better even in high speeds.

If the running cadence is very important, using a foot pod will yield better results.
Should you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to reply to this email.
So basically the Ambit cannot record Cadence.
Works fine in Garmins (that has a mediocre GPS on the other hand.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, just switched from a garmin forerunner to an Ambit3. When running I seem to have the same problem as others with cadence. When doing slow runs (warmup or long slow distance pace) cadence looks ok but as soon as I try to do some speed work (tempo runs, fartlek, intervals etc) cadence is zero or all over the place.
Since I switched from a Forerunner I have used both on the same time and where the Forerunner shows perfect cadence data the Ambit cadence data is useless. Tried it both on left/right wrist. No difference.

Must be a fault with the Ambit3 (software or hardware). Probably a software problem. Sent a Suunto support request but haven't heard anything yet. Is Suunto support always so slow/unresponsive?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed when doing intervals with my Ambit 3 Peak that cadence would go to zero. Wasn't too bothered about it but decided to contact support anyway, and they told me it was a faulty accelerometer and to send the watch for repair. Which I did, at my own expense.
They quickly sent a replacement which also had the same problem but came with a scratched bezel... so they sent me a new replacement which also has the same cadence problem!
At this point I decided not to worry about it as I guess they all do it.
I only notice it happening when cadence goes about about 190, for example going hard up short hills or doing intervals, and to be honest this is not a problem for me. When I'm doing fast intervals my cadence is not something I'm worried about knowing, it 's my speed and heart rate I'm more interested in at those points :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.