WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may interest some Ambit users - I saw something on DC Rainmaker's site about a desktop app for logging training / GPS tracks called Neotrack (google it). I asked the developer yesterday whether there were any plans to add support for importing the Ambit's xml file format, he asked me to send an example log file, which I did, and he added support within a day of my original email! I've not played with it much yet, but initial impressions are pretty good, and it allows you to export your Ambit logs to gpx and tcx formats. Provides a nice offline alternative to movescount. It seems to be importing the GPS altitude data from the logs rather than the barometric samples, I've asked him if it's possible to change this or make it an option when importing.

Note I have no affiliation with the developer or application.

· Registered
1,615 Posts
The Mac only app rubiTrack syncs directly from the Suunto folder in your library. The developer is very responsive and is planning on adding Ambit support soon. I have been using this to sync my t6c data for years. The program is excellent and will export a .tcx or .gpx file allowing you to do what you want with it. So this is one option for now for those that have Macs. The app is available on the Mac app store. Let me know if you have more questions.

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Schweet.

One thing to note with these local log files - they get deleted when you do an update of moveslink. I had 3 files in there, and the other day moveslink downloaded an update, after it had finished they were gone. Just something to bear in mind if you want to archive these files somewhere else.

· Registered
86 Posts
It would be great to have an iPad/iPhone app for holding and displaying data from the ambit. It could use a iPod/iPad port adapter to USB, like the iPad camera adapter. This would solve the log size issue for those out in the field for more than 16 hours!

· Registered
36 Posts
Does anyone know if the software Moveslink2 works on 2 different laptops? I have a small netbook (MSI Wind u100) that i use for making routes on my Garmin device for my Motorcycle (BMW R1200GS Adventure)

Greetzz,
Geert

· Registered
41 Posts
Does anyone know if the software Moveslink2 works on 2 different laptops? I have a small netbook (MSI Wind u100) that i use for making routes on my Garmin device for my Motorcycle (BMW R1200GS Adventure)
That should not be a problem. The moveslink only syncs data between the watch and movescount.com, can't see any problem of doing that from multiple computers. (I can test it when I get time, unless someone beet me too it.. :)

· Registered
41 Posts
Yep, it works to have moveslink on many computers. You install it and then you have to log into movescount.com to allow the application to sync to movescount.com, so you need to allow one application from each computer.

· Registered
1 Posts
I don't have a computer with windows or MacOS as I'm using Linux. So I'm wondering if you plugin the ambit into USB will it appear as a USB storage device where you can copy files from? If that's the case what's the file format? I'm uploading my data to another training website.

· Registered
17 Posts
It's not detected as an USB storage device, instead it's some kind of HID (human interface device).
You could install a copy of windows within a virtual machine (e.g. Virtualbox). When running as root, it's detecting the Ambit as a redirectable USB device.
With Wine, the Moveslink2 setup seems not to work.

· Registered
6 Posts
The Mac only app rubiTrack syncs directly from the Suunto folder in your library. The developer is very responsive and is planning on adding Ambit support soon. I have been using this to sync my t6c data for years. The program is excellent and will export a .tcx or .gpx file allowing you to do what you want with it. So this is one option for now for those that have Macs. The app is available on the Mac app store. Let me know if you have more questions.
Since today I have the chance to test an early version of rubiTrack which can handle Ambit data. Direct synchronization and import of .xml files work fine and include the whole gps data. Export as .gpx and .tcx is possible. I will report in the next days, when I have more experience with the app

· Registered
15 Posts
Since today I have the chance to test an early version of rubiTrack which can handle Ambit data. Direct synchronization and import of .xml files work fine and include the whole gps data. Export as .gpx and .tcx is possible. I will report in the next days, when I have more experience with the app
Sounds good, please keep us informed! Is it a preview of the next rT version?

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For those who would be interested, I wrote a small python script converting one xml file generated by moveslink from a suunto ambit to a GPX file.
This free script can be found here: https://code.google.com/p/ambit2gpx/source/browse/src/ambit2gpx.py

Enjoy it.
Thanks for creating this joelc, it's a real help for me, as I want to continue logging my runs on a different website to movescount, that only supports gpx uploads. Works perfectly.

· Registered
86 Posts
For those who would be interested, I wrote a small python script converting one xml file generated by moveslink from a suunto ambit to a GPX file.
This free script can be found here: https://code.google.com/p/ambit2gpx/source/browse/src/ambit2gpx.py

Enjoy it.
Hi joelc, his sounds great but I currently have no idea ho to run a python script in my mac? I looked at the python v2 software and downloaded it and the script but not sure if I install it how you execute the script?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.