WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For interest, if anyone is considering either of the two devices for running.
Both are highly customisable in Movescount. The Quest used the footpod for speed and distance.
Screen Shot 2012-07-17 at 6.10.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2012-07-17 at 6.18.04 AM.png

·
Banned
199 Posts
Interesting that you would post this. I have the Ambit, and I'm thinking of suggesting the Quest to my wife. One of the features I really like about the Ambit is the custom Activity Modes. For example, I have Running, Walking, Cycling, Aerobics, Hiking, Indoor Cycling, etc. Some modes use the GPS, while others do not. All use the HR strap. Can you have custom Activity Modes in the Quest, and if so, how many? Can you turn on or off the HR strap, PODs, etc. on a per-mode basis like you can for the Ambit? I looked through the manual and it appears that the Quest supports custom modes, but I can't say for sure and I can't figure out if there is a limit to the number of modes or not.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can create as many custom modes as you like in Movecount but only 5 can be downloaded to the Quest. 5 screens per mode. Two fields per screen.

The other "useful" feature is the ability to download your training programme onto the Quest so it reminds you of your schedule for the day.

Also you can calibrate the footpad each time to increase its accuracy.

Screen Shot 2012-07-17 at 10.12.15 AM.png

·
Banned
199 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for posting this. Now I'm wondering the Ambit will get some of these features, including foot pod support. I really could have used foot pod support this evening on the treadmill.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting that the calories don't match. I guess it's the extra weight of the foot pod. :roll:
But I was wearing the foot pod at the same time. Concurrent recordings. The Quest was released in 2011 so the algorithm has already changed for Ambit. there is another thread devoted to this. Interestingly the recovery time for Quest is less than Ambit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
But I was wearing the foot pod at the same time. Concurrent recordings. The Quest was released in 2011 so the algorithm has already changed for Ambit. there is another thread devoted to this. Interestingly the recovery time for Quest is less than Ambit.
That would be the weight of the Ambit.

Seriously, I looked long and very hard at the Ambit, but don't really need GPS, would like user changeable batteries and it is too bulky for me.

I find my orange Quest does perfectly fine for running and cycling and is more than passable to wear as a watch - actually quite nice. The foot pad is accurate enough for my purposes and the screens give enough info and flexibility.

I've worn mine a lot, including everyday, and no scratches on it so far.

The M5 is way too limited for all but very basic training, but the Quest is probably more than most amateur runners need and enough for cycling (although the dedicated units are better for the very keen).

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the Quest had an altimeter to show track profile, it would be a very well rounded device indeed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If the Quest had an altimeter to show track profile, it would be a very well rounded device indeed.
Agreed. That's the one thing I think it lacks.

For my purposes, the T6 has way more than I need and I actually much prefer the looks of the Quest - but it does do altitude, which I'd like most for cycling, but not worth the difference in price.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Ambit vs Quest vs T6d

Finally got around to reprogramming the T6d for my "body metrics".

8.7Km run wearing all 3 devices.

Average HRkcal usedPeak TE
Ambit1535943.9
Quest1536833.9
T6d1536584.3

I find this intriguing as in other comparisons the PTE was also dissimilar. Note that the T6d figures are from "in watch" calculations not Movescount.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts