WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I bought an Ambit3 Run + HR a few days ago. My first move, running at a nearly constant speed of 11 km/h with GPS set to 'best' and recording to 1 sec, turned out perfect: the GPS trace was spot on, the altitude was very accurate even without an onboard barometer, and looking at the GPX file I could see that data gets logged at one second intervals 99% of the time (the watch sometimes seems to skip a second somehow).

My second move was a walk. I set the GPS accuracy to 'good' and the logging to 10 secs, which I figured would be enough. My speed during the walk was quite irregular : a steady 5.5 km/h when walking, but many stops for taking in the view, snapping pictures or checking the map. During the walk I could see that the watch updated the readings far less than expected, and that the speed and altitude values were all over the place. Returning home I confirmed this in Movescount : the GPS trace looks smoothed out, with 10-15% of the distance missing because of cut corners, the speed fluctuates a lot (with a spurious peak at 22 km/h!) and the altitude is ridiculously bad.

In addition, most of the points have been logged at *one minute* intervals! It seems the watch started logging at 10 second intervals until my first (short) stop, decided I was too slow, switched to 1 minute logging, and almost never ramped the logging frequency up again...

Has anyone experienced this before? Is there some kind of 'smart' adaptation of the logging/GPS polling frequencies to the speed going on, and if so, can it be disabled? Or is it a problem with my unit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Hi guys,

I bought an Ambit3 Run + HR a few days ago. My first move, running at a nearly constant speed of 11 km/h with GPS set to 'best' and recording to 1 sec, turned out perfect: the GPS trace was spot on, the altitude was very accurate even without an onboard barometer, and looking at the GPX file I could see that data gets logged at one second intervals 99% of the time (the watch sometimes seems to skip a second somehow).

My second move was a walk. I set the GPS accuracy to 'good' and the logging to 10 secs, which I figured would be enough. My speed during the walk was quite irregular : a steady 5.5 km/h when walking, but many stops for taking in the view, snapping pictures or checking the map. During the walk I could see that the watch updated the readings far less than expected, and that the speed and altitude values were all over the place. Returning home I confirmed this in Movescount : the GPS trace looks smoothed out, with 10-15% of the distance missing because of cut corners, the speed fluctuates a lot (with a spurious peak at 22 km/h!) and the altitude is ridiculously bad.

In addition, most of the points have been logged at *one minute* intervals! It seems the watch started logging at 10 second intervals until my first (short) stop, decided I was too slow, switched to 1 minute logging, and almost never ramped the logging frequency up again...

Has anyone experienced this before? Is there some kind of 'smart' adaptation of the logging/GPS polling frequencies to the speed going on, and if so, can it be disabled? Or is it a problem with my unit?

Thanks!
Sounds like you had 60s GPS fix enabled and 10s recording for altitude/HR. There is no 10s GPS fix. The manual explains this. Unless you are recording for many hrs I would leave recording on 1s and select the GPS fix rate appropriate for your move. These are independent.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did a couple of walks with GPS at 'best' and logging every second. This fixed the track and altitude accuracy issues. However, there does seem to be some 'smart' adaption of logging times going on behind the scenes, probably as a function of the speed... I did histograms of time differences between log entries for
- (1) running, GPS=best, log=1s,
- (2) walking, GPS=best, log=1s,
- (3) walking, GPS=good, log=10s
(see below). For running, logging times are almost always 1s and never larger than 2s. For walking with the same settings, logging times are mostly 2s but can go up to 40s... Walking with battery-saving settings (good/10s) leads to very frequent logging times of 60s, and up to 3 minutes!

So there is indeed no need to change the default setting of '1s' and 'best', since the watch seems to adapt to the current speed of the activity. Battery-saving settings are in fact useless, and do not yield acceptable results... This is not at all clear from the manual!

While the 'smart' logging frequency seems to work OK, but does anybody know if there is a way to 'force' the frequency at 1s regardless of the speed?

Screen Shot 2016-11-01 at 13.50.29.png Screen Shot 2016-11-01 at 13.38.17.png Screen Shot 2016-11-01 at 13.45.45.png

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I did a couple of walks with GPS at 'best' and logging every second. This fixed the track and altitude accuracy issues. However, there does seem to be some 'smart' adaption of logging times going on behind the scenes, probably as a function of the speed... I did histograms of time differences between log entries for
(see below). For running, logging times are almost always 1s and never larger than 2s. For walking with the same settings, logging times are mostly 2s but can go up to 40s... Walking with battery-saving settings (good/10s) leads to very frequent logging times of 60s, and up to 3 minutes!

So there is indeed no need to change the default setting of '1s' and 'best', since the watch seems to adapt to the current speed of the activity. Battery-saving settings are in fact useless, and do not yield acceptable results... This is not at all clear from the manual!

While the 'smart' logging frequency seems to work OK, but does anybody know if there is a way to 'force' the frequency at 1s regardless of the speed?

I don't know if this is specific for the R model. My understanding is the A3P records nearly every second. I will dig up some logs.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

The frequency of the GPS points cannot be forced to every second. They generally are anyway when you are going fast enough (running or biking for example). But if you are walking the average is around every 2-3 seconds. I don't know what exact speed(s) triggers the changes in GPS recording frequency, although I do know that a speed of zero records no points until you starting moving again.

·
Registered
259 Posts
So I did not test but...
If you set Walking activity (as I did) , FuseSpeedis not activated(GPS+accelerometer) , so only GPS is used, then for walking is not that accurate

Now I have a question

For Running I have 1 sec and Best , but for Cycling how I have to set? because an ride can be from 1 to 6 hours or more, I don't understand how space is on the Ambit 3 Peak and if is ok to leave 1 Sec recording or to set something else?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
So I did not test but...
If you set Walking activity (as I did) , FuseSpeedis not activated(GPS+accelerometer) , so only GPS is used, then for walking is not that accurate

Now I have a question

For Running I have 1 sec and Best , but for Cycling how I have to set? because an ride can be from 1 to 6 hours or more, I don't understand how space is on the Ambit 3 Peak and if is ok to leave 1 Sec recording or to set something else?
The space on the Peak is greater than the recording time. I have posted this in the past here it is again.

Untitled.jpg

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thank you for info

If the move is sync to phone app and sent to Movescount , it still use space or after sync only some info remains in the watch?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Thank you for info

If the move is sync to phone app and sent to Movescount , it still use space or after sync only some info remains in the watch?
It is a rolling memory but once synced the log remains on the watch but the data are removed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I second leaving the settings at best/1s for biking. Since good/10s was not good enough to track a 'slow' activity such as walking, I doubt it would be acceptable for biking. This is especially true if your biking exercise includes stops or slow-downs, which could cause the 'smart' logging frequency to decrease and become 'stuck' even when your speed increases again (at least that was my experience). Somehow this does not seem to happen with 1s/best. And as martowl mentioned, there is ample space in the watch for tens of hours of 1s recording...

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
So I did not test but...

Now I have a question

You have 40h of log space with 1s GPS and 1s Recording so....I want to see your 40h Bike move:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts